Online Armor: Allow = Block

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Pinga, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Australia is on the other side of the world, perhaps that is why the good Online Armor folks have reversed the meaning of the words Allow and Block.

Always thought that a block entry in your Hosts file would block traffic to the corresponding IP address. Not so with Online Armor's Hosts file! It actually allows it.

The corresponding Online Armor Web Help page offers a most peculiar explanation for the phenomenon:

* Allow – Allows the selected entry in your HOSTS file.
    * Block – Blocks the selected entry from being made to your HOSTS file. (sic)

http://www.tallemu.com/webhelp3/Hosts.html#list

Am I the only one who finds this strange?

2. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

This is actually not strange if you sink deeper. OA handles HOSTS file and so allows or denies the entries other programs can try to write there. It doesn't use HOSTS files to master network traffic because it handles network by its own means.

So, if some program tries to write to the HOSTS something like:

malicious.IP.address windowsupdate.com

OA warns you about it and you can block this entry now and forever.

3. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

You're not alone!

There could be an indication of status within the HOSTS file, # against the dodgy site registering a :thumbd: instead of the current :thumb: Only on reading Tall Emu's description does it make sense.

I am going with your theory about Australians being on the other side of the world, aka upside down, which is causing all the confusion. I wonder if any Australian users of Comodo can confirm the status of the thumbs up or down for banned websites. This could just be affecting those of us that are currently upside down to those confusing Australians. :doubt:

4. nessy90

nessy90 Registered Member

You have got to be kidding me, if you dont understand it in english then get it translated, OA is designed to stop things that might be bad being added to youre host file, hence if OA considers it bad or even if something is being added to youre host file OA will either prevent it or let you know so you can make that decision, hence BLOCK if it is considered good then it will be allowed.

Nessy:rolleyes:

5. thathagat

thathagat Guest

well just as avira security suite and zone alarm have options to "lock host files" so no changes could be made by malware etc similarly OA has a block option its just how they call it.OA in learning mode checks host files and then offers user the option of blocking changes to them.

6. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Thank God ;)

But really, as apps are becoming more complex we need to have some sort of standardisation as to what things actually mean. It's a crazy situation that each company still has different ideas of what an interface should look like, leaving end users even more confused after reading their manuals. Less is more!

7. Joeythedude

Joeythedude Registered Member

Hosts file weren't meant as a "blacklist". So the OA approach is more correct , and in keeping with how the host file is meant to be used.

8. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Perhaps a 'Keep it Simple' approach would help.
    In this case it's accept what you can't change.
    On my side of the world Allow = permission granted.
    If that doesn't translate well in all areas of the globe then I just need to try to keep track of the differences or use a different product.
    Enjoy the day.
    Hugger

9. subset

subset Registered Member

After taking a quick look at the options tab...

Hosts.png

... can anyone tell me which part is the most difficult one to understand. o_O

Cheers

10. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

ROFLMAO

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I think it's the same in most parts of the world. In this case allow=permission granted to change the host file. That's all it means. Same with block, it means something doesn't have permission to change the host file. Nothing difficult here.

Problem is people are reading into it that it means what the function of the host file is. But the reading is incorrect.

12. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

:) This post is the winner.

When we did the HOSTS checking, I never contemplated the use of HOSTS as a blacklist. We'll be changing how our hosts works soon enough. I really dont like the current implementation as it causes too much confusion.

Technically right or not - if people do not understand it, it's wrong and needs to be fixed.

13. Pinga

Pinga Registered Member

Problem is, very few people seem to know that :) This is how its function is explained on the most popular site on the subject, arguably a major source of information for many, if not most people. Note that it contains the word 'block' three times in the first 120 words:

http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

14. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Absolutely that is how the host file works. But we aren't talking about how the host file works, but how OA works. It really isn't involved with the function of the host file, but just protecting it to be sure some malware doesn't change it.

15. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

MikeNash

" Technically right or not - if people do not understand it, it's wrong and needs to be fixed. "

Yes indeed ! Good for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.