Online Armor 5.0 RC available now

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by delah, Mar 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EboO

EboO Registered Member

Joeblack please go on emsisoft forum to report your problem. It probably could help to prevent this issue. Thanks :)

2. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Nope, Matousec won't test OA 5.0, according to Emsisoft forum mod/staff Fabian Wosar; link

3. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Ho, wait a minute! I just read Online Armor 5 won't support IPv6, sorry but that is a big fail in my eyes. All direct competitors do support IPv6, and so do a lot of firewalls in security suites and Windows Firewall in the latest Windows. They said it will be supported with version 6 of the firewall. I do seriously hope version 6 comes really quickly.

4. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Learning mode is an invitation to danger. What's the implication of learning mode? Well it means that whatever a user does such a user should not make the acquaintance of any malware during the learning mode period. What if during that time the user get him/herself infected what's then?

OA or any security software like Outpost Security Suite should not give the user the choice to use a learning mode process to whitelist behavior or files, period.

Thanks.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Well they both do, and personally, I think it's essential. Besides, how are you more at risk with learning mode, then you were, before you installed the software.

6. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Great point. :thumb:

(A complete scan or two with the anti-virus/anti-malware apps of your choice before installation would help with any misgivings in this area as well.)

7. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Ok,tried,but i don't want to waste my time like this.See screenshot.
    Maybe someone else is willing to do it,as i'm not the only one with this problem.

Attached Files:

8. EboO

EboO Registered Member

9. CogitoTesting

Let's say for example you have a drive by download while in learning mode, the HIPS in both OA and OSS will not warn the user about the malicious download and the subsequent malicious behavior. To the HIPS the malicious drive-by download is just a regular behavior of the user's computer.

In summary, learning mode is just a green light to let anything happen, malicious or otherwise. Moreover, in the future the prospective malicious behavior would still be allowed even after the learning mode period was over since such a behavior was learnt as a so-call good behavior.

To me, it is a lose lose situation to be avoided at any cost.

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  10. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

I thought we were referring to "Learning Mode" while installing the program.

Certainly you wouldn't have any other programs or windows open during installation? o_O

At other times I can see where using "Learning Mode" might be an issue.
    (I have personally never used it except for where the program calls for it by default during installation in the past.)

11. CogitoTesting

I was referring to learning mode after installation.

Thanks.

12. 1nvad3r

1nvad3r Registered Member

Probably Emsisoft isn't paying the right amount required by Matousec to test their OA :rolleyes: , more money equal better results :D .

13. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Almost. Matousec thinks that a trademark can owe money. Since Emsisoft bought the source code, they obviously must pay them the money Matousec wanted from Tall Emu. :rolleyes: :D

14. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Exactly. A little bit of brain power must be used when using a firewall/hips type programs. Personally, I just run all the programs on my machine in learning mode and then take it off. It takes me about 15min to go through all my apps, games etc.... I think this version of OA is by far their best. With previous releases I have had certain issues but I have found none so far with this release.

Ice

15. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Good point but I wouldn't install anything new or surf. Just start your apps on the machine, let the program learn them and then take it off learning mode.

Ice

16. blasev

blasev Registered Member

I'm agree with Peter and Icecube1010 aka "batman" :D , I only use learning mode to install something I trust and at least have been scanned by EAM+Mbam.

Afterward I always turn off learning mode
    Since...
    Other than installing something I rarely got any pop up at all

And finally like the wise batman says : we need a bit of brain power ;)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  17. ESS474

ESS474 Registered Member

This looks interesting, i will test final version :)

18. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

Yes i had launched the wizard with trust all still it took a loooong time for oa to trust files

19. doktornotor

yeah, loooong and some weird results, such as avast! not trusted (unknown) o_O

20. EboO

EboO Registered Member

Second RC
    Please for those who have problems with SCW try this new RC, it seems to fix some problems with it.

21. Mops21

Mops21 Registered Member

22. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Ok,it seems that they speed up a little bit the wizard.But,why the heck the AV part is untouched?I want to exclude files and folders,not with wildcards!
    As i said on another post,the AV settings STILL sucks!
    PS.Want to know how long it took the wizard?Take a look at the screenshots.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  23. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

Online Armor 5.0 Release Candidate (2) Out

Emsisoft Online Armor All Versions 5.0 [RC2] Released
    3rd April 2011

Whats New:
    • A possible SCW freeze has been fixed.
    • Added a signature update inside the SCW for OA++ to ensure OA++ users have the most recent signatures from the first boot on.
    • Several popups tweaks to fix missing string replacements ("%s" in messages).
    • Improved self protection for malware that emulates hotkeys and activated "Learning Mode" by itself.
    • Added "Not-trusted" status in the Domains view back to the legend to clarify it's meaning.

Known problems:
    • The setup may offer you a trial version although it is no longer available on your system.
    • The translations may be incomplete at the moment.
    • Running Chrome inside a Sandboxie sandbox won't work unless you exclude Chrome from Online Armor.
    • Under Windows 7 x86 SP1 certain window message APIs aren't monitored correctly.
    • Installing software inside Sandboxie may not work due to Online Armor blocking certain DLLs from being loaded in the sandboxed installer

Download: Online Armor 5.0 Release Candidate

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  24. doktornotor

Re: Online Armor 5.0 Release Candidate (2) Out

Ah well, there goes my prompt loop. Well, maybe next RC then. :D

25. EboO

EboO Registered Member

Joeblack is it the first time you try OA ? Did your issue already exist in previous versions ?
    I see that you have bufferzone, perhaps it's due to that (it's a supposition).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.