Online Armor 4.5 Officially Released ( x64 support!)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by subratam, Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCorliss

JCorliss Registered Member

Check the link again. All 3 are compared.

2. makios

makios Registered Member

Error said: Fatal error (Ooo did)
    Then something like: can't find / or load language (don't remember exactly).
    First I reinstalled OpenOffice.org. Didn't work.
    Then started googling for a solution, same problems / errors, found some things about it on the Ooo-forum and the oa-forum.

First I put the Ooo-folder in Prgram files in the exclusions of OA.
    Started it then and it worked.
    Then removed it from the exclusions, because I read somewhere I had to manually allow soffice.bin.
    But before doing that I once started Ooo again and then OA asked me if I trusted Ooo - files and I told him / her I did ;)

Sorry for maybe not being specific enough, but I don't remember exactly all I did. Hope this helps anyway,
    gtz, makios

3. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I just added Online Armor to my setup, replacing Windows XP firewall, and
    for the 2 hours I have been using it, things look fine. My downloading is as
    fast as before and browsing, just a tiny bit slower but almost unnoticeable.
    The rest of my setup is SBIE and MSE. I have not noticed any conflicts so
    far between this programs and I think I am going to be happy using them
    together.
    I installed Online Armor on default and trusted what I have on my computer.
    Any advice on what changes I shoud make are welcome.

Bo

4. justenough

justenough Registered Member

OA++ is running great on my 64 system. No conflicts in the 4 days it has been loaded.:thumb:

5. LambRador

LambRador Registered Member

Running great here too :thumb:

6. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

I would add Threatfire like this you would have a great layered set-up. I have changed my VM set-up, even though I have not updated my signature yet. My current set-up is as follow: Online-Armor free, Avast 5 free, Threatfire 4.5 free, and Norton DNS so far free. I call this set-up "my own free Internet security" :D.

Thanks.

7. country2

country2 Registered Member

Figures it would come out with W7 64 support after months of waiting for it as I went W7 when it came out and had to ditch my OA as was not supported, Now after my license expired it comes out....figures. Guess I wasted 1/2 of my subscription previously. May try the free but will not buy any of the other s...Was hoping for a big discount...

8. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Thought about Threatfire in the past, stayed away because of the keyboard
    issue that they have/had in the past. Do you know if that issue is resolved?
    If its solved I ll try Threatfire in the future but having Online Armor HIPS, I
    don't think I ll need it now. Why do you feel it would be a good addition now
    even though I am using OA?
    Online Armor feeling really, really nice here.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Bo

9. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

I'd be a bit careful about adding Threatfire to an OA setup which has a HIPS feature. The last thing users need is two contending HIPS vendors on the same setup.

Check with OA support before doing it. For me I would NOT do it.

10. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

u dont need threatfire IMO
    OA has enuf features to provide u protection
    no need for age old threatfire

11. SteveBlanchard

SteveBlanchard Registered Member

Umm... Hate to say it but my x64 W7 dived into pop up hell. The automatic update of Adobe Reader 9. Ticked on remember my decision, ticked on trusted application & ticked on installation mode and then I did the same again and again and again and again and again. Then once the Adobe Reader update was installed & ticked on remeber my decision, ticked on trusted application & ticked on installation mode and then I did the same again and again and again and again and again.

Not sure how many times but this was OA free; not Comodo! I don't think OA had learned enough either - Java checker, my graphics card updater, all gave orange pop ups....

And b4 anyone asks this was the out of the box settings I have always used.

:thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd: sorry OA.

12. burebista

burebista Registered Member

Something similar for me with a lot with MS updates. I finished to put OA in Learning mode because my finger hurts to click on pop-ups.
    I never have that problem with CIS. :(

13. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Strange. I have not experienced this at all on my Win7 64 and Win7 32 PC's. I am running the free version with Avast 5 and everything is perfect.:thumb: I have only been testing it for a few days and will report back if I notice anything fishy. On the install I selected to trust everything on my PC's.

Ice

14. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I had the same issue with pop-ups, but I'm well known for having pop-up nightmares so it's normal for me. OA and others though really do need to start adding to their whitelists/safe programs. There's no reason at this point to be missing well-known security software, AMD/Intel software/processes, things of that nature. I didn't see any slow down except for the slowing down of me by having to deal with that ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ web filter. I got really tired of that and quickly shut it off.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2010
  15. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Some pop-ups first couple of days, nothing major, quieted down now.

16. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Just curious but does anybody else have a problem with installing OA Free 4.5 on a win7 32 OS? It stops during the the Wizard phase in the Start menu section. It seems to stop on .lnk

thanks
    Ice

17. ReverseGear

ReverseGear Guest

My friend has the same problem on win 7 32... if we restart pc then the wizard comes up but it gets stuck again there

18. CogitoTesting

Even though Threatfire could be configured (with advanced rules) to act like a HIPS but in reality it is not. As you know it is a behavior blocker and so far I have not had any problem running threatfire alongside OA free.

The only problem I have is with OA itself with the number and the size of its pop-ups. It is baffling to me that OA, even with the help of OASIS, can dish out so many pop-ups. To make matter worst some of the Windows 7 files generated pop-ups as well (Windows search indexing as an example) and they are not even recognized by OA as safe.

In that context Outpost 7 has done a much better job keeping pop-ups to a minimum.

Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  19. Escalader

Yes I recall the OASIS currency issue from days gone by.

The concept of a white list of "safe" exe's is a good one. Unless the fw vendor "assumes" that "all" exe's from vendor x are safe. I'm not saying that is the case but for me it was a worry.

The list should be shorter than the signature list of malware!

But if the safe list is not current then for sure it's value is reduced. Users will need to id exe's as safe as the pop ups occur during learning mode.

As to OP being "better" I won't get drawn into a product x versus product y type posting as it turns out to be a waste of effort.

20. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

What protection does OA have for ARP Poisoning?
    How does it handle the ARP packets?
    Will it alert me to any ARP attacks?

How well does OA help protect the network stack/drivers from crashing because of some exploit?

Has OA been hardened to prevent that BlackHat 2005 rootkit PoC from getting through?

21. CogitoTesting

Of course I will not go there either :D; however, what I mentioned was that contrary to OA Outpost with version 7 produced less pop-ups than OA. No A vs B here, just a simple pop-up observation between the two. :p.

Thanks.

22. aldouspfc

aldouspfc Registered Member

This is happening to me on Win7 x64.

23. Escalader

Users need to be very very sure ALL previous FW products have been COMPLETELY un-installed before installing a new one. This is particularly true for ZA, OP, Norton and McAfee.

These vendors typically have specialized utility programs to uninstall on their sites. You download the utility run it clean up (CCleaner) then reboot. Then install new FW product.

24. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

What is ARP?

25. fax

fax Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.