Online Ads vs. Security: An Invisible War

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by ronjor, Mar 15, 2018.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Corey Nachreiner 3/15/2018

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

I have managed to find a balance, I block trackers, but not ADs and self-promotion (goodleadsense).
    Webpages load fast and I still support them, though some detect installed adblocker and block access.

3. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

I block it all including all ads.
    I have no sympathy whatsoever with those who moved in on the web, subverted and corrupted the web protocols and stuffed it full of bloated technology all of which was done for the sole purpose of creating the malvertising, data mining, tracking ad tech industry.
    Then to top it all off they have the nerve to claim we are hurting them by blocking the ads they need to generate revenue to pay for their content.
    Id be more than happy if that were true because that implies if enough people block their ads it would run them off the internet. I would say, good riddance and take your crap content, your spying and your intrusive data extraction with you.

4. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

Well, Noscript protects against this stuff. The problem is that you have to know which 3rd-party sites are legitimate or not. This is one reason why I prefer uMatrix as all sites which are contained in one of its hosts files and are, thus, privacy-invasive/malicious are not only blocked but explicitly blacklisted. This makes it much easier to decide what to allow and what not.

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Exactly, that's why I prefer tools that do the thinking for you like uBlock and Ghostery. It's insane to use NS for this kind of stuff.

Same over here, it's a shame how the web got ruined by these idiots. I don't even mind normal ads, but it's the bloat (slow loading websites) and tracking that disgusts me.

6. Stefan Froberg

Stefan Froberg Registered Member

Hmmmh...25 trackers on first page alone that have nothing to do with cnn.com ...

upload_2018-3-17_20-54-36.png

Oh well, at least not 100+ like one page that I visited once ... :eek:
    (I think it was adobe)

upload_2018-3-17_20-56-9.png

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.