Online Activation in Version 3.47 - Sandboxie

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cudni, Aug 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Really?

There are quite a few freeware (full software without any sort of restrictions) applications that include a toolbar to install, whether it is from Ask.com, Yahoo, etc. Does this mean these sort of applications are less used or installed by people? Less trustworthy? Heck, no. It only means that these software developers need to make a living, and instead of providing their software as paid software, they decided to include a toolbar as a sort of getting they pay check, without getting the money from their users.

What's the damn problem with this?

The freeware CD/DVD recording software ImgBurn does this... Is this a bad thing? NO! I get to get a damn great CD/DVD recording software for free!

That's just an example. There are more.

So, what would you actually suggest? It seems you like no idea; not even Tzuks.
    So, basically you want a software application, and whether or not the developer gets his money is of no importance to you.

Lets get real. With all due respect folks, but will a damn toolbar bundled with Sandboxie (which you don't even need to install!) cause you gonorrhea or something like that?

I prefer this approach to what Tzuks has implemented already, because I don't want to be treated as a thief.

So, I'm all in favor to the inclusion of such method for Tzuk or any other developer to get the money he/she deserves.

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hey, I'm on your side when it comes to the toolbar...IF, he doesn't pull a stunt like some of the others and the toolbar shows up whether you chose it or not. Foxit reader is already having that problem as you can see in its thread. I have never, ever ONCE stated I didn't care if the man got his money or not. What is the problem with a toolbar? I don't know, ask all the people in the MANY threads here that go off the hinge when the word "ASK" is even mentioned in any software they use. You're at Wilders every day, you don't need to ask me if people have a problem with toolbars, the search button here works great and will tell you all you need to know.

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

OK.

Yes, I know some people complained about toolbars in other past threads. But, it is not necessarily needed to be Ask.com. It could be Google's or Yahoo's, for example.
    And, I mentioned toolbars as an example. It could be some sort of ad displaying information for people to consider getting XYZ software or service.

For example: avast! Free asks the user if he/she wishes to install Google Chrome browser. I'm not sure whether or not it comes bundled together, or if it's just a link.
    Tzuk could follow this approach. Why not? It's quite simple. And, Chrome's own sandbox + Sandboxie would provide a even more solid security. Or Opera browser, as well.

The options are out there. I just wished that Tzuk could considered them all before deciding to do what he did. At least, I hope he takes it back and decides a simpler and better approach for all 3 sides: Tzuk, paying costumers and other folks.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I don't think there will be any taking back of his decision, it seems to be pretty set. To be fair to him, I'm not sure how he could pull off the toolbar option anyway. As I had said previously, only those who aren't as security conscious or finicky would likely let the toolbar install. And, without the toolbar being installed, I don't know how the ad revenue would come. Now if he had Sandboxie in its paid form made free with a toolbar, and had another paid product upon which he could fall for extra revenue, it could work just fine.

5. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

---Yeah same here. Method is wrong and irks people who legtimately paid $40. Method seems to have shades of the WGA thing of XP during it's rollout but not entirely. (... since "personal use exemption" or, more generically, "fair use" is given to all those who bought the paid version --can install SBIE on every pc you own. The WGA code was initially programmed to contact Microsoft's servers every 24 hours...after hearing a lot of outraged/agitated customers, Microsoft said it would release a version that calls home less often...SBIE's is Product confrmation every 90 days)

@Sully;

Nice summary. It's all there!

6. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hello,

Does somebody remember when Tzuk swore on a Bible he would never support x64 Operating Systems?

Several months latter he had to back off on that position.

He now wants to force activation like Windows/Office...Let's see what happens this time.

I think deep down he's a good guy but sometimes very impulsive.

Regards,

Carlos

7. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, he had to make a business decision, not supporting 64 because you can't figure a way around limitations or the design just doesn't support it is perfectly fine. Not supporting it based on principle and a hope of changing a large corporations mind and/or progress is business suicide, not to mention a bit stupid. I BELIEVE that was Tzuk's original position, and, also, Defensewall's current position. (No one start attacking me, I said believe, not know, based on forum posts and other reports).

8. tusque

tusque Registered Member

I think that this actually goes a bit further than the Windows/Office validations. With those, there may be an initial validation and then checks when you update, but there no built in 'time out' after that where the software will make you suffer if it isn't allowed to repeatedly verify you.

It's a bit of an odd situation. Repeatedly phoning home when not needed for the program to function is generally considered to be very suspicious behaviour. Paying users are expected to put trust in tzuk with regards to this activity when the whole reason for the activity to exist is the implicit mistrust he has in them.

I'm sure other developers have considered this kind of 'continual verification' approach, but never implemented it for various reasons (customer backlash, potential offline problems, etc). Time will tell how well it works out for tzuk. Personally, I don't like the idea of any paid software having a built in 'self destruct' that has to be reset again and again.

9. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I am disappointed and saddened by some of the comments about Tzuk that
    I have read here. Those comments are not from the posters that because of
    principle do not accept what he has decided to do in order to stop, somewhat,
    the piracy that is viciously attacking him and Sandboxie. The comments that
    disappoint me are from people that get on the bandwagon of hitting on him
    even though they don't use SBIE or have only used it for three months. The
    comments that sadden me are from people that, use SBIE for a while and have
    forgotten the quality work and support that this fine man puts everyday in
    order to keep his software on top shape. I trust Tzuk just like I trust my
    mom and my support for him and SBIE is 100%.

Bo

10. arran

arran Registered Member

Lets not judge Tzuk to harshly personally I think some of the comments here are
    a bit over the top. You have got to remember he is only one man show so he doesn't have any one else to lean on for moral support and he doesn't have any one else in his business to give him any ideas or suggestions, personally I have think he has done very well considering the fact that he has been up dating sandboxie for the past 5 years. It is human nature that you can't always think straight and make the right decisions when driven by high emotions and frustrations with hackers spamming on his forums and with there being pirated versions of sandboxie all over the net which is true by the way as I have seen many pirated copies of sandboxie posted on various hacking forums.

Lets all look at the Bigger picture.
    The Big picture here which is what most people are not seeing at the moment is the effectiveness and high performance of sandboxie giving you almost 100 percent protection. I am going to continue using sandboxie even if means every 90 day online license check which for me is hardly any hassle at all.

11. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

What we must always remember is that NOBODY on Planet Earth is beyond criticism, not King`s, Queen`s, President`s or Prime Ministers, or even Dictators, although you may lose your head if you try it on them.

And Tzuk or Tzur whatever he likes to call himself from day to day is no exception. You do not pay your Sandboxie fee as a pledge of loyalty or into a benevolent fund to a Knight in shining armour, you pay it for a service, efficiency and customer consideration

If that service or the broadcasting of erratic and confusing information is unacceptable - you complain or criticise. Fair enough, no argument on that score, it is called freedom of speech and customers rights within a free market economy. Nobody is exempt - not even Tzuk/Tzur. Sentiment and sympathy play no part in business.

Every one of us wish Tzuk/Tzur well and outstanding success for his sheer brilliance, but that is no excuse for introducing irrational Draconian measures which upset customers and other vendors do not sensibly apply. He must accept that he is in a competitive market with all the problems such an environment has from piracy and downright mischief to optimum profitability. If you go it alone, you fight it alone.

An immature entrepreneur will not survive.

John B

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  12. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

@ Arran,

Allthough I am not a user of Sandboxie I agree completely.

@ John

Your principles may hold ground, but we are talking of a lifetime lisence at the cost of a pizza delivery. You are battling the issue with the same fierceness a London neigbourhood community might fight over the hassles the construction and preperation the Olympics of 2012 is giving them or a New Orleans comittee is battling with BP over the damage of oil waist. Take a break.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2010
  13. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Ronen Tzur is his real name and the handle he uses over at SB's forum is tzuk and it's been that way since I started using Sandboxie about six years ago.

~Personal comment removed~

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2010
  14. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Software developers have the right to offer software on their terms of usage. That goes for the smallest developers to the largest developers.

Users can offer suggestions to developers but they can't tell them how to run their business.

The simple answer is: if you don't like the terms, don't use the software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.