OneCare 2.0 and Windows Update Problem

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by elvis1959, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elvis1959

elvis1959 Registered Member

After running into conflicts with Bullguard 8 and AVG Internet Security 7.5 on my daughter's brand new Vista laptop [resulting in BSOD], I installed a trial of OneCare 2.0 which runs very well, lightly, and with no conflicts with other software. I am aware that it is not as sophisticated as some other suites, but it will suit her needs well. However, when I also installed it on her older XP SP2 laptop the icon turned yellow and insisted that there were missing Windows Updates. Upon running Windows Update, I was informed that there were no missing updates. At this point, the status icon turned to green again. Upon rebooting the computer, the icon turned yellow again and insisted that Windows Update be run. Once again, there were no missing updates, and the icon returned to green status. When the computer was rebooted, the same process started again. Other than this, the software is running well, but this is an aggravation. Any ideas on how to solve this? Microsoft tech support sent me a pretty useless e-mail response. Previously, the XP laptop ran Norton Internet Security 2007 with no problems.

2. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I do not have an answer for you but just an observation. It seems like when I read on OneCare's forums the people having the most problems were with XP. Though there are a lot more XP machines than Vista out there it still makes one think. OneCare ran great on my Vista computer though it did have problems co-existing with Threatfire (automatic scans would fail).

Today I went on MS's billing site to cancel my recurring subscription which is at best a test of your patience, lol. I was told that I would get an email later from MS's billing dept. Then this evening I got the email and was surprised that they was going to give me a full refund. I wasn't expecting this (I signed up on Dec. 10) but happy they did oblige. Maybe MS isn't as money hungry as a lot of people claim, lol.

Hopefully someone out there has been in your situation and knows what the solution is :)

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Download and run Belarc Advisor and check the results for Windows Updates.

4. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

I have used computers since 1970, and I never had more problems that I could not resolve than with OneCare 2.0. I was beta testing 2.0 and they offered me a great price for a subscription, but due to the fact that the program would not load properly some of the time, I asked for (and received) a refund. I am running XP. You can forget their tech support as well. My view is that OneCare is still very buggy- but of course they will not admit that. So the fact that Windows Update is problematic for you, is probably just part of software not yet ready for prime time.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  5. Simon_W

Simon_W Registered Member

I removed Onecare from 2 computers and my brother did the same. He has no problems with his Vista computers however under XP it is a disaster at the moment and a disgrace that this update was released. The computer freezes and best is to stop the Onecare services and install another program.

6. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Install a light AV such as Avira or Dr. Web and you can find free utilities that do all of the other things that OneCare does. The backup program is problematic as well- even the one in XP works far better than the one in OneCare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.