One Virus Engine Is Not Enough!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Firefighter, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Hi everyone, have you read the article about multiple scanning (http://www.gfi.com/mailsecurity/wpmultiplevirusengines.htm).

I have found one free program from wilders.org (http://www.handybits.com/vsi.htm), which combines several av:s to one on demand scanner. The program is quite old (10/5/2001), but the idea is quite promising!

You can make your own F-Secure (3 scanners in one av-program) so, that you may choose low resource scanners with different good aspects to one excellent on demand scanner, which you are using on demand scannings.

Does anyone know if there is new ones of that kind programs? :D :cool:

"The truth is out there, but it hurts!

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Firefighter:

Well I use 1 AV Real Time Monitor plus Gladiator Antivirus as a superb On Demand scanner, backup.

http://gladiator-antivirus.com/

It's detection rate is already extremely advanced. Large variety of nasties [virus/trojans, etc]

It's the only one that can truly scan completely into unpackers, compressed files, etc.

Eg: My general scanner scans around 30,000 files but GAVs file detection has made it scan upwards of 45,000 files, massive 15,000 files that were "hidden" inside packers, .exe's, etc.

It's totally On Demand only, and it's in "Alpha" stage [not even Beta] but it's truly amazing for what it can do so far.

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

3. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To Tassie_Devils from Firefighter!

Thanks, but it wasn't exactly that I was hunting on.

When I was testing the VirusScan Integrator, I was able to install severeral av:s in it; for example RAV's, F-Secure's and DrWeb's on demand scanners all together. After that kind of combination I have actually 5 on demand scanners in one on demand av-program, because F-secure has already 3 in it. The result was able to detect and scan almost all files from my PC (thanks to F-Secure and RAV).

I am just a bit of curious, if there is some more modern programs of that kind? :D :rolleyes: :cool:

"The truth is out there, but it hurts!"

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

4. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Doesn't Antigen do something similar?
    As far as I can recall it knows how to handle several engine's, althuogh I don't know if it can cope with several engine's at the same time :doubt:

But, alas, Antigen is somewhat heavier to use, it runs on Lotus and Exchange ;)

5. Basher

Basher Guest

Isnt Handybits virus intgretor known spyware?

6. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I think it is Basher . I wondered why it is here on the download lists.

7. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Or if not that specific download , or that particular web site , then its all the offers there that you may click on that may be very sus .

8. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Alpha: That is the point. This means the software is not finished and should not be recommanded at all. If somebody wants to help the programmer developing a good anti virus software - fine. But this should be done in a special testing enviorment. At this stage GAV is still too far away from being used in a normal day to day working enviorment.

wizard

9. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Spybot marks/classified that program as "dangerous"........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.