One question and one small bug

Discussion in 'Capsa Network Analyzer' started by GeorgeM, Jul 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Registered Member

I am gradually getting to know this software having only recently become an official full user.

This is about Capsa 7, V7.2.1 Build 2244, Activated.

How to reproduce the small bug:

Open Capsa full screen with any other app running on the desktop (browser, pdf reader, etc.)

Select whatever profile you want and hit the Go button. Once there click on the "Packet Storage" icon at the top, or even Product->About.

On my installation this will result in the new info/prompt window being opened behind the full screen Capsa which of course makes the main Capsa window unresponsive since it is waiting for the dialog box to be handled.

The only way I can find to get around this is to activate the Windows Task Manager, which also brings the dialog window to the front.

The question:

When I create a custom Network Profile and Analysis Profile with a filter selected, the next time I start up Capsa with the newly created profiles, the filter is not included in the profile and has to be re-selected each time. Is it possible to cause the packet filters to be stored/saved along with the rest of the profile selections?

2. Colasoft Support

Colasoft Support Colasoft Moderator

Dear GeorgeM,

Thank you for choosing our product.

As the bug, would you please tell me what your os is? we haven't reproduce this bug (tried with Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Adobe Reader and some other programs) this time so I may need more details.

About the filter and network profile, network profile is designed for saving the general properties of different networks such as bandwidth, name table and alarms. While the filters are global for capturing packets. They serve for different missions. Therefore we can't save a filter selection with the network profile in this version. But I will consider and report this as an suggestion.

Good day!

3. GeorgeM

It's Windows XP Pro SP2, running on an HP dc5000, P4 2.8G proc with 1G of ram. Graphics being handled by the integrated Intel 82865G chipset.

And OK on the filter settings suggestion.

4. GeorgeM

And even though I must have seen the pop dialog boxes work at least once as expected, as of now they all always end up behind the app, no matter if nothing else is open at the time. Very puzzling.

5. GeorgeM

One last thought/hint for the day. First I did download and install the latest Intel drivers for my vid card. No change.

Second, my monitor currently runs at 1600x1200. If I shrink down the Capsa app until it is arond 1050x800 or so, the problem goes away and the dialog boxes end up on top of the app as one would expect. I am of course only guessing that maybe this could be the reason you haven't seen the problem, depending on your particular setup.

6. Colasoft Support

Thanks GeorgeM,

Would you please try to reinstall the program before we figure out what's wrong?

7. GeorgeM

Reinstalled. No change.

I might be halfway tempted to stick a PCI video card in that box at least for a test, if I can come up with a loose card. If I did do that, would my activation break?

8. Colasoft Support

Hi GeorgeM,

Please do. Don't worry about your activation, just send a message to our support#(replaced with @)colasoft.com mail box and we'll take care of everything. Thanks for your patience. :)

9. GeorgeM

I have not yet come up with a suitable alternate graphics card to try because integrated graphics has been the norm for too long.

But I do have one more possible clue. My display on this box normally runs at 1600x1200 which is the native resolution for my current Planar monitor.

However, if I change the display resolution down to 1152x864 (or lower) everything works as expected, with dialog boxes showing up on top of the app.

This is repeatable.

Of course I don't want to run the display like this because since it isn't the native res of the monitor, it looks pretty rough.

10. Colasoft Support

What about a smaller monitor with lower resolution?

11. GeorgeM

I only have one monitor on my desk with everything I need using it via a multi-port KVM. And I *like* my 20" monitor with this one exception.

Do you not think with my previous tip/hint that someone can figure out how to fix this in the software? I do have at least two other apps on this box that use pop-open dialog boxes that do not have this problem.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  12. Colasoft Support

Well, George, we are testing your reported issue and reviewing our codes. We'll fix this bug in next version.

Currently, I think you have to run it under a lower resolution :)

Sorry for the inconvenience we brought to you.

13. GeorgeM

Thanks... I'll be watching for a new version.

Since I originally bought "Capsa Enterprise Edition - Single Seat License - No Maintenance", am I out of luck in terms of the next fixed version?

In other words, does No Maintenance mean no access to newer versions?

14. GeorgeM

No answer for my question here?

---

15. Colasoft Support

Hi George,

Sorry for getting back to you late.

If it turns out to be a bug of the program, please be rest assured that we will give you a free update :)

16. GeorgeM

Very good. Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.