One Patch To Rule Them All..

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Paul Wilders, Oct 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

A recent XP security hole begs the question, do we really want Microsoft to release individual fixes for every bug?
    By Tim Mullen Sep 30, 2002

On August 15th, Shane Hird published the details of a potentially serious issue with the Windows XP Help and Support Center where the contents of a known directory could be deleted if an attacker tricked someone into executing a maliciously formatted URL. At the time, there was no published patch, and no official work-around.

For the most part, it went widely unnoticed. Well, that may be a generalization -- I failed to notice it, as did all of the security people I know, but that doesn't mean the bad guys didn't tuck the information away into their cache of "crappy things to do to people when you're a script kiddie."

read more

2. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Nice use of Tolkiens favourite storyline in the title there Paul ;)

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Grin.."Lord of the Pings" :D

regards.

paul

4. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

*Groan* ;)

5. TheApostate

TheApostate Registered Member

Lo there

Hehe, saw this thread and thought I detected a Tolkien fan there. All these punny comments are giving me a bellyache though :rolleyes: ;)

TheApostate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.