One More Question In AV Decision

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mannaggia, Aug 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

Hi. I started a thread last week in the NOD32v2 forum, asking questions about NOD (I ran the trial version of NOD32v2). I'm very close to going with NOD as my AV, but I have to ask a question just to be certain. Thought this would be the better place to ask.

The question has to do with unpackers, trojans, etc. I'm trying to decide if it would be better to go with something like KAV (or AV with KAV engine) with no AT software, or NOD with AT software. Does one method offer better protection over the other? I know Paul Wilder and some others chose the layered protection. It's just that I hear so much about how good KAV is, and I like NOD, I'm having a little problem deciding which way to go.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hi Mannaggia,

The layered protection argument is certainly a good one, but, since you are already considering that point, let me mention a thought that has occurred to me on more than one occasion as this question get asked...

While it would certainly be hard for anyone to say that you'd be going wrong using KAV given how powerful it is, you have to ask yourself one question. If KAV is truly the best AV available, (and it may well be, but that's not really my point here), then why isn't it the only remaining AV on the market? Why hasn't it put every other AV out of business?

The answer may simply be: 1. Not all software works well on all systems. (All systems are different, conflicts, slowdowns, instability - happen. It's the way things are in a Windows based world.) 2. Not everyone likes the same type of interface or feature sets as everyone else. (Choices are good. Sometimes it's just style or appearance, or it may be deeper than that. That's why I think there are many products that use the KAV engine - same detection power, just in a different package.)

People can give you all kinds of opinions here, and frankly, I don't think you could go wrong either with NOD32 or one of the KAV based products, but until you evaluate KAV yourself, you won't know if the issues above will come into play. What if you try KAV and love it? It'll be the end of your debate. But, what if you try it and you have issues with it? Well, that may also end your debate.

Truly, you can't go wrong either way, but, you should definitely try it for yourself to be sure.

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

You will have supporters for either choice.

It will also depend upon;

1. The age of your machine- older machines may struggle more with the KAV Monitor, despite tweaking.

2. There are some reports of conflicts between AMON and BOClean or TrojanHunter. Your machine may also show these conflicts.

3. Money availability. KAV will be cheaper than NOD + AT.

4. Whether you are a supporter of the layered defense system.

Either of your choices will give you very good protection. The choice of AV software can be very personal and again I recommend that you trial the 2 possibilities, as LWM suggested.

You could always choose KAV and NOD together!

I have registered copies of both AV's, which sit on different boxes here, but at the present time I prefer NOD + BOClean to KAV.

This is simply because I much prefer the GUI of NOD to that of Kaspersky. Not the best way to choose an AV I know but as I said before, the choice of AV can be very personal.

But this will probably all change again with KAV5 and then I will probably have a new favourite AV!

4. stranger

stranger Guest

For your ITW worms and virii you should consider using Nod32; it's compact, nimble, doesn't drain a system, and it has a good and consistent record - when it comes to VB tests at least.

An option you have along with Nod32 is to run Kaspersky's earlier antivirus avp 3.5 from time to time as on demand scanner to check your system. Kaspersky's newer version - due to a variety of reasons - is overhead intensive. Depending on your system it may or may not degrade it's performance.

Layered or non layered defense; whatever av and at vendors you choose, keep in mind nothing beats a good system backup. Access to a repeatable system state is crucial. :)

5. Mannaggia

After reading what LowWaterMark and Blackcat had to say and doing some thinking, I've decided to go with NOD32v2 and TrojanHunter. I really liked NOD32 and I like the forum here. I trialed TrojanHunter a while ago and liked it also. So that's it. Decision made. :D

Thank you guys for taking the time to help me out in my decision process. Take care.

Regards,
    Mannaggia

6. Morpheus

Morpheus Registered Member

I'm trailing NOD32 at the moment as a replacement to NAV and have been a TDS-3 user for over a year now. I'm also planning to try the trial version of KAV before making my final decision.

Firstly I would recommend you try TDS-3 before making a decisionon a AT program (http://tds.diamondcs.com.au).

Secondly NOD32 is amazingly fast and lightweight and it seems quite effective (this Sobig
    outbreak is giving it a good test) along with the usual eicar stuff but it doesn't do outbound mail checking AFAICT and it provides no protection against malicious scripts (no script blocking). I think both of these features are in KAV and whilst the outbound is not that important in the sense that you shouldn't get infected in the first place to require your outbound mail to be checked. I remember NAV catching the odd malicious script on some web pages (msn being one of them) so that may be more important.

Hopefully this hasn't mudied the waters too much but I would definetly try TDS-3 you wont look back.

Morpheus

7. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Never mind.

8. Mannaggia

Not at all. Some more food for thought. LOL I haven't purchased anything yet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.