on Rollback RX...

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by moontan, Feb 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

Probably because then they can sell 2 products rather than one.

I would expect because their customers want this capability and they would like folks to use a product they sell rather than a product that someone else sells.

I want this capability and no doubt others want it as well. In addition I figure that the folks who created Rx would know it better than 3rd parties and that a program that was going to efficiently image a drive with Rx installed would be more likely to be produced by these folks than by anyone else.

Add to this the reliability I have found with Rx I am willing to make the leap to the idea that other programs from the same developer will be reasonably likely to provide similar reliability.

But thats just me and I have been known to be wrong about things in the past, will no doubt be wrong about things in the future, and freely admit I may be wrong about this now. If I am wrong I really would like to know why I am wrong.

2. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

So, why wait for version 10 to give it back. It was in version 8, and it can be put back in version 9 very easily?

If they want to sell two products, then why put it back in version 10?

Or, rather it didn't work in version 8 as advertised, so they took it out from version 9?

Kind regards,

KOR!

3. bgoodman4

It worked fine in 8 as far as my experience was concerned but I do like the interface and expanded capability that DC has in 9. No idea whats happening with version 10 other than there is talk that images will be able to include all the existing snaps at the time the image is made. Other than that I just assumed it would still be a 2nd program and I know nothing else about the new version.

Could I trouble you for a link to where you saw it was going to be included in 10? Just curious, I am OK paying $10 for the separate program so not a big deal to me one way or another.

4. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

BG,

I have a copy of the latest version of Drive Cloner Rx (v5) and I have used it to backup my RB system using every one of its options. I can tell you categorically that it does not (yet) possess any special 'RB-knowledgeable' capabilities over those that other disk-imaging programs provide (regardless of any marketing hype by HDS - which you produced in a prior post)!

Also, for your reading pleasure…
    http://horizondatasys-forum.com/drive-cloner-rx/36-drive-cloner-image-rollback-rx.html#post114
    (although, at the time, Nick apparently didn’t understand that it was possible to capture the entire RB environment by using the ‘PE-Raw’ method).

...and regarding HDS' intent to provide an 'integrated' disk-imaging solution with RB:
    http://horizondatasys-forum.com/dri...evaluation-friday-november-12th.html#post5084
    (see Nick’s note near the bottom of his post). ;)

Regards,
    Aaron

Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
  5. bgoodman4

Thank you for this, its rather disturbing to find out, but I will make the nec changes to my routine to compensate. Much appreciated.

6. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

No problem BG. We can only hope that the HDS development team does come up with a 'true marriage' between Rollback Rx and DriveCloner Rx. I'll believe it when I see it, but if and when that actually happens it will be time to say goodbye to my trusted friend Drive Snapshot.

Aaron

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.