On-demand scanners

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Wai_Wai, Sep 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Unless one is a risky surfer, there is no need for a second
    AV scanner. Especially if one uses one of the top AVs. Most folks I know use Norton, McAfee or AVG free. In about 6 years of fooling with this stuff and asking questions I do not know of a single person who ever got infected except one or two who did not keep their AV or Windows updated.

I have used on line scanners and not one has ever found any malware. I have used Avast Free, Bit Defender paid, KAV, F-Secure, and now also Avira.
    Get a good one, and it will take care of you unless you do risky/dumb things. If it makes you feel better then scan with an online scanner like KAV or Bit Defender once every few weeks. I would bet they don't do anything except take up time for the scan.

I simply do not buy the claims that such and such found tons of viruses on machines that used Norton or other good AVs. In those few cases it would be traced to lack of updates or dumb "clicks" where nothing will protect you.

Best,
    Jerry

2. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

Sounds good! :)

1) How do you deal with the cases where malware infect your personal data as well?
    2) If you move "documents and settings" away and don't take a snapshot, what if they are infected? It is a place malware will keen on attacking.
    3) How do you prevent trojans and keyloggers etc. from stealing your passwords or other sensitive data between each session? The bad stuff are removed only when you reboot / restore your system, not during the session.
    4) Some programs do not save changes in "documents and settings", rather they save in "program files".

Just a small tip. It may help a bit by moving the system partition to any drive except C. It's C drive which most users install Windows. Some malware writers may simply hard-code their malware, assuming Windows is in C drive. They will not work in this case since the Windows is not in C drive. It doesn't really help much, but since you are playing around with moving folders, you may as well try it. It isn't hard to do anyway.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
  3. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

I usually use additional on-demand scanners to scan suspicious files/folders. It is similar to what we would use the online Jotti scanner.

Sometimes but not too ofen, I may use them to scan my whole computer. This is to verify that my computer "is still clean", so to speak, not just a false sense of security given by my resident anti-virus program.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.