On Demand Scan won't decompress archives

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v4 Beta Forum' started by MasterTB, Nov 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

I installed ESS v4 beta on my laptop just to see it work on a vista home basic machine (not a slow one... Athlon X2, 1gb ram Compaq F756LA) but to my surprise ESS won't decompress files for scan...
    When running a full system scan using any profile I get this error: decompression could not complete: posible errors: insufficient free memory, low disk space or problem with temp. folders)
    Now I know 1gb is not enough but I seriously doubt is memory, I have 74 gb free on my disc and the temp folders seem to have the necesary permissions so I need some help here, unless it is a Bug in the scan module...

I'm posting a screen shot just in case...

BTW acording to task manager I have 77% of ram used during the scan (no programs running in background, the machine has just booted up).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It isn't the RAM but insufficent rights/access to the temp folder due to restrictions of the access to the %temp%

Perhaps you have made changes to the status of User Account Control ?

Choose what will the status of UAC be and then manually delete these folders

C:\Users\~name~\AppData\Local\Temp
    C:\Windows\Temp

After that re-create them with the same names and in the same location . If you are NOT running UAC , right click each of them -> Properties -> "Security" tab . Ensure that either the System and your account have full permissions to these folders .

Just for the exercise , reboot and try again

3. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

Well, It wasn't the RAM, it wasn't the Disk Space, it was windows f..ng security design nightmare.
    I had never touch UAC since I bought the laptop, nor changed the security settings of any file/folder on the system but somehow you where right HiTech_boy, the Temp folder on windows didn't show my user account with the right privileges so I had to add it and voila!!! the program started doing it's job...
    Funny thing is... I didn't have this problem with ESS v3... go figure.
    Anyway, thanks for the tip, I'll keep it installed now that it is working.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.