On Demand Scan won't decompress archives

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v4 Beta Forum' started by MasterTB, Nov 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

I installed ESS v4 beta on my laptop just to see it work on a vista home basic machine (not a slow one... Athlon X2, 1gb ram Compaq F756LA) but to my surprise ESS won't decompress files for scan...
    When running a full system scan using any profile I get this error: decompression could not complete: posible errors: insufficient free memory, low disk space or problem with temp. folders)
    Now I know 1gb is not enough but I seriously doubt is memory, I have 74 gb free on my disc and the temp folders seem to have the necesary permissions so I need some help here, unless it is a Bug in the scan module...

I'm posting a screen shot just in case...

BTW acording to task manager I have 77% of ram used during the scan (no programs running in background, the machine has just booted up).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

It isn't the RAM but insufficent rights/access to the temp folder due to restrictions of the access to the %temp%

Perhaps you have made changes to the status of User Account Control ?

Choose what will the status of UAC be and then manually delete these folders

C:\Users\~name~\AppData\Local\Temp
    C:\Windows\Temp

After that re-create them with the same names and in the same location . If you are NOT running UAC , right click each of them -> Properties -> "Security" tab . Ensure that either the System and your account have full permissions to these folders .

Just for the exercise , reboot and try again

3. MasterTB

MasterTB Registered Member

Well, It wasn't the RAM, it wasn't the Disk Space, it was windows f..ng security design nightmare.
    I had never touch UAC since I bought the laptop, nor changed the security settings of any file/folder on the system but somehow you where right HiTech_boy, the Temp folder on windows didn't show my user account with the right privileges so I had to add it and voila!!! the program started doing it's job...
    Funny thing is... I didn't have this problem with ESS v3... go figure.
    Anyway, thanks for the tip, I'll keep it installed now that it is working.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.