On Demand Antispyware

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by TVH, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm not going to say anything about MAIN scanners and their real-time shield, but all ON DEMAND scanners can be replaced with ONE ISR-software of your choice.

An ON DEMAND scanner removes malware during scanning, usually one time per day.
    An ISR-software removes malware during reboot, usually one time per day (or more).
    The vulnerable period between two scans is the same as between two reboots. So there is no difference.

An ISR-software removes everything, because it removes CHANGES on your harddisk.
    ON DEMAND scanners remove only what they find according their signatures and heuristics, that's not everything and how many ON DEMAND scanners do you need to run to get the illusion in your mind, that your computer is malware-free ?

Running one or more ON DEMAND scanners takes alot more time than a simple reboot.
    Most of the time ON DEMAND scanners don't find anything, because your MAIN scanner has done the job already, but you wasted your time on running this scanner to find ... NOTHING.
    You better use that time to take a backup of your system.

I've read that some users run an ON DEMAND scanner once per week. That is absurd.
    If this scanner finds a malware on your computer, it means that your computer was infected during a period from 1 day upto 7 days, time enough for this malware to do its evil job. :)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  2. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

Hi Eric

I agree with your last post from a technical perspective but again find myself at odds with it as a total solution owing to 0 current session protection.Ultimetly what folks need or what folks are capable of dealing with can be miles apart based apon their abilities(user to keyboard interface etc).

That said this is a topic about ondemand scanners and not a comparison of approach's towards security solutions/best practices etc and which is best(weak/strong points etc):thumb:

Oops forgot to make my recommendations:)
    1)SUPERAntiSpyware free
    2)AVG 7.5 ASW free
    3)a2 Antimalware free

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  3. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Very true...."On Demand Antispyware" to be precise. For those wishing to discuss "ISR-software" alternatives to "On Demand Antispyware" scanners....Please do so in some of our ongoing threads concerning those type topics.

Thanks,
    Bubba

4. ErikAlbert

Oops ... and sorry. :)
    In that case I recommend as many Anti-Spywares you can get, except the rogue AS.
    What one AS can't detect and remove, might be detected and removed by another AS, because all AS have a different signature database and keep all these AS up-to-date and run them all every day at least one time.
    It's better to have a light grey system, than a black system, full of spywares.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

6. ErikAlbert

So the one you like offers the best protection ? That is a pure emotional choice. I need something stronger. :)

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Any On Demand security program be it AS Scanner, HIPS, Virtualization, must first PROVE itself durable first, accurate second, before i consider it reliable. Accuracy is nothing if it can't stand up in torture tests against heavyweight opponants. Then and only then you can let your emotions run rampant with glee :D

SUPERAntiSpy still remains as my own personal top choice in the AS category followed by, ugh, well, the rest are kind of revolving around each other depending on what day it is. ;)

8. ErikAlbert

That is indeed a good one, but I would use this one as main AS scanner, rather than on demand scanner.

After living more than six months without scanners, I used SAS to verify my approach, but it didn't find anything. KAV and NOD32 couldn't find anything either, not even a false positive. ;)
    Each scanner took 20-30 minuts to run, I do the same job in less than 2 minuts and more than once a day.
    You really have to be a scanner-fan, to wait that long.

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

~snipped ot comments....~ I will cut to the chase & merely add yet another vote for A-squared.

A-squared's freebie is on-demand only, scans moderately slow, updates often & reliably. The freebie's unnecessary luggage (a2service.exe) can readily be blocked with SSM, ProSec, DSA, etc. with no harm. However, it's no beeg ting, bruddah, if you let it run.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2007
  10. TVH

TVH Registered Member

Thanks everyone. I decided to go with a squared for on demand and am sticking with SAS Pro for real time. I was going to use counterspy but updating is just too annoying. Got rid of spy sweeper as well as it uses way to many services.

Im also using Spybot S&D for on demand as well as for its immunise function. Working great so far.

11. zhanwest

zhanwest Registered Member

I perfer SUPERAntiSpyware,
    light and strong:thumb:

12. StevieE9

StevieE9 Registered Member

For spywareo_O How very moorish. I don't think you'll find a single spyware expert that would advise you to use just one anti-spyware product. In fact for people that use Internet Explorer and are prone to visiting suspect sites, they'd need a minimum of 3 separate AS on demand scanners, as well as having just one onguard *and* having SpywareBlaster 3.5.1 installed.

But maybe you meant never having more than one active onguard realtime AS product? Now that would make sense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.