Older computer running XP home. Setting File permissions ?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by jrx10, Mar 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrx10

jrx10 Registered Member

I've got an older computer running XP home SP3. A couple of days ago I thought I'd upgrade the SW and the images. On a clean XP-Home image I DLed all the MS updates and updated AV/AS/Hips and FX (unfortunately according to the HIPS, it seems like FX with every version update is morphing into IE or that every MS windows update is getting more control over FX, I can't tell which).
    I've been trying to set up file/folder permissions in XP home (safe mode) to exclude the LUA/surfing accts from a partition that contains the updated images (also BU on an external but it's faster to restore/change from an internal drive). When I set the file/folder permissions to exclude the LUAs and include a new admin-acct (with limited permissions) that I created, they work for a couple of boots but then disappear. I just wondered if there was a secret (or hack) (or a service that has to be running) for these file permissions set up in the XP home safe mode (which aren't visible in XP home with a normal boot) to stick? thx.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  2. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

3. KookyMan

KookyMan Registered Member

Its been awhile since I've worked with XPhome, but IIRC, Home doesn't really have support for NTFS permissions, by design. They are there, and I think you can do a wee bit with command line, but you can't disable Simple File Sharing, and SFS is what blocks the NTFS Permissions tabs in file properties.

4. jrx10

jrx10 Registered Member

Thx for the replies. Just had to apply the setting to all child objects, as it appears you can't disable access to the root of a partition but you can apply the "deny" rules to the folders/files within that partition. The folders within the partition can be seen by the LUA, but they can't be opened. The same for the files if they're not placed in specific folders, the title of the file can be seen, but not opened.

5. Jerry S

Jerry S Registered Member

Hi you might benefit from FaJoXP, which adds a security tab to the properties page for files and folders in XP home. It is freeware and can be downloaded from www.fajo.de. One caution warning; The developer used the Inno setup program which is Not compatible with the windows installer service. so just run the installer, DO NOT attempt to go through add/remove programs. I have had it on my system for a year and it works great.
    What it does is add a dll to add the security tab in normal mode.
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.