Old or New?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by QuinnK, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QuinnK

QuinnK Registered Member

Well... having read many posts on the new version, I have a question. I have used Nod32 for some time, and am now still running 2.0009 on XP Pro SP1 (not quite ready yet), and would like to know if it's time to update Nod. I'm not having any problems with Nod now(and never have, really), and I realize it's not a 'black and white' question, so any and all opinions are welcome. If I did upgrade, I would likely uninstall and clean-up, including registry, before new install.

I'm assuming running compatibility rather than efficiency, if necessary, still wouldn't leave anyone worse off than 2.000.9? I'm not really sure of the relative pros and cons of running old vs new right now, and would really appreciate some opinions and info on it, can always wait awhile if it's best overall.

Using mostly FF PR1.0 if that makes a difference.

Thanks for anything anyone has to offer... Quinn

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

As it has now gone to "Auto-update" the product is ready for the public to use, I haven't seen or heard of any major problems, other than the odd website not working properly, which has its own thread at the top of the forum.

I would say it's time to update, the new HTTP scanner adds a "First Line of Defense" layer of protection, rather impressive if I must say so myself... ;)

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

Last edited: Sep 18, 2004
  3. Observing

Observing Guest

I think you should wait.

Look through this forum, read the threads....there are TONS of problems with the new version. Do you really want that headache?

4. Blackspear

Having over 500+ clients now updated, I have not received a single call regarding anyone having a problem, and believe you me, my phone would have been running hot, I saw this with another anti-virus program I used to sell over 2 years ago, I also had clients lined up at my shop door, a public relations nightmare...

5. QuinnK

QuinnK Registered Member

Hmmm... that's a good start, A and Z. Yes, I've already looked at probably most of the problem threads, though you can read lots of horror stories in the help forums on any product, nature of the beast. I do have a great deal of respect for BlackSpear's opinion, a very knowledgeable user.

Sure would like some more opinions, and whether 'high compatibility', when necessary, leaves you any worse... or still better, than 2.000.9.

Many thanks... Quinn

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I would find it hard to go back to 2.009 now. I am having no problems.

Give it a whirl!

7. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

Go for it! :D

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

I'm also using FF 1.0 PR, and 0.93 before that. I haven't seen any issues with respect to the latest NOD32 version. My older son runs the same configuration on his machine - again no problems. I generally go with a pure default config at the start of things like this. YMMV, but it looks like a reasonably painless update for most.

Blue

9. Blackspear

I would suggest leaving the HTTP scanner settings in "Setup" as is, unless you are finding a particular issue...

Hope this helps...

Attached Files:

• HTTP.JPG
      HTTP.JPG
      File size:
      68.2 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2004
  10. QuinnK

QuinnK Registered Member

OK... I believe I will upgrade. One question: Should the shell extension dll be unregistered before installing the new version? Is it still desirable in the new version?

Thanks for the help... Quinn

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You can take it off. It will just put it right back on there. :D

Which reg cleaner are you using?

12. QuinnK

QuinnK Registered Member

Hi Ron... I just wondered if I should follow Paolo's instructions for uninstalling the extension, just unregister the dll, before uninstalling and reinstalling Nod. Also wondering if the extension is still usable and desirable in the new version... seems like I read somewhere it is no longer needed.

When I use a registry cleaner I use 'Registry Tuneup', the standalone registry cleaner from Ace Utilities. Works very well and safer than most.

Thanks for the help... Quinn

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

You don't need it with the new version. It's in there! :D

The advanced heuristics are an option in the modules now. And if you do the "in depth analysis", it turns the deepest, strongest, options on for you for that scan.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2004
  14. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

In case you would like to revert to the current version at a later time, just backup the \progr. files\eset\install dir. with the installation files for the current version.

15. QuinnK

QuinnK Registered Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. I did do a complete cleanup of the old before installing the new, and so far no problems at all. Unless something very unusual comes up, I will definitely stay with the new, I do like it better so far. I think it's going to add about 5-10 seconds or so to the very short shutdown time I was finally getting with 2.000.9 on XP Pro... usually about 10 sec total. I'm not sure how that will go after a little time, but my life is not so busy a little extra time on shutdown is a problem, although... the 45 sec I had at one time was a little bit of aggravation at times.

I was a long time user of Norton until about 1 yr ago when I switched to Nod on my personal computer. I have installed and worked with just about every AV program out there on various client machines, and will still install Norton 2002 or 2003 on an occasional PC, but everything considered... I prefer, and will still continue with Nod on my PC and certain others.

Thanks again... Quinn

16. Blackspear

Glad to see you had a good result...

17. arrowsmithmidwest

arrowsmithmidwest Registered Member

im in blackspears shoes, angry customers with other AV's, have set up heaps and heaps of new version of NOD, all positive results, not one downfall.

18. bsilva

bsilva Registered Member

I also agree. I have over 700 hundred pc's running NOD32 and it' been running great. I also started doing a little free lance work and having my clients buy NOD32. I'm not a reseller though. Eset has done a great job. If you do run into a problem sometimes it's just a configuration issue, like I ran across a couple of weeks ago. This has been resolved. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.