Old HD ---> new HD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by javave, Jun 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. javave

javave Registered Member

Is it possible with Acronis to install a new drive and use the image for a new drive and then go on working (sorry for my English).

Javave

2. rjbsec

rjbsec Registered Member

If you mean the following then the answer is YES:-

1) Fit new Hard Drive.
    2) Restore image to newly fitted Hard Drive.
    3) Work with new drive.

The new drive will contain the image that you restored and will allow you to work on the machine just as you did at the time that the image was saved.
    I recently changed my 40Gb laptop drive to 60Gb drive, restored an image and then continued working with my laptop as though nothing had happened.

3. javave

javave Registered Member

Sounds great!

So the partion can be different from the original one? And Windows XP will work fine?

I have obtained yesterday Acronis True Image but I still feel a little uncertain.

Javave

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Javave,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

You can clone your first drive to the second one using the "Disk Clone" wizard. This wizard allows transferring the operating system, applications and data from one disk to another. To clone the first drive to the second one, you must first install the new disk drive in the PC, after that you can move all of the contents of one disk onto the second one with Acronis True Image. When you clone the disk you may choose two ways of cloning: automatic (proportional) and manual. In the first case the space will be distributed proportionally among the partitions. In the second case you can distribute the new disk space manually, this mode allows you to manage partitions in the way you need, but we recommend this way only for professionals.

If you don't want to use "Clone Disk" wizard, you can clone a hard disk by creating its image and restoring it to a new hard disk.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

5. javave

javave Registered Member

I now have bought a new harddisk. Can I start up from your CD and have a DVD with the image I want to put on the new HD?

Hope to hear soon.

Jan van Veen

6. Acronis Support

Hello javave,

Yes, you can boot from Acronis bootable CD and then restore the image of the entire hard drive to the new one. If you have any questions please feel free to ask us.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

7. Balu

Balu Registered Member

Even if the new Drive is much bigger then the old one?

Old Drive 10GB 1 Partition with WinXP

New Drive 60GB 1 Partition with WinXP

Sounds great!

Wolfgang

8. Acronis Support

Hello Balu,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Yes, you can restore the image even if the new hard drive is much bigger then the old. Please note that we recommend you to use "Clone Disk" wizard.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

9. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi Irina,

I think the point Wolfgang was trying to make was that if the original HD only contained 1 partition of say 10GB then, following your advice to Jan in Post #6 above, the new 60GB HD would be left with 50GB of unallocated space.

Now, this unallocated space could be reallocated to the 10GB system partition by using an application such as Acronis Disk Director Suite. However, I believe there is a workaround using just Windows XP and True Image as follows:

1. Right click on My Computer, select "Manage" and expand the "Storage" directory hive. Select "Disk Management", right click on the unallocated space and opt to create a new partition (D:).

2. Run TI and create a new image of the whole disk (C: and D: partitions). Boot from the rescue CD and choose to restore just the C: partition. During the restore process you will be given the option to resize C: so choose the maximum size available. Once the restore has completed you will have a single C: partition occupying all of the 60GB disk.

Best regards
    Tom

Last edited: Jun 17, 2005
  10. javave

javave Registered Member

Hello Irina,

I tried tp make an inage to DVD but it did not fit to the DVD. So I did it to my old HD (the new one was not yet installed) Now it is but it seems Acronis does not find the partitions on the new HD. So I can not write the Image to the H partition.

The old one has the drive letters C, D, and E. The new one has H, I, J and K. F and G are my CDrom player and the DVD rewriter. The .TIB file is on partition E it has to go to H as that will become the bootable partition.

Hope I did explain what the problem is and hope you can solve the problem for me.

An other question is how do I manage to make the H partition the C. I has te become D etc etc.

Hope you have nice weekend!

Jan van Veen (javave)

11. Acronis Support

Hello Menorcaman,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

The workaround is even simpler than you described. After you restored an image of the whole disk you may restore the image of a single partition and this will allow you to resize it.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

12. Acronis Support

Hello javave,

You don't need to write the image to the new hard drive. Neither you need to partition the new hard dirve before the image restoration. Once you installed the new drive please launch Acronis True Image, choose the "Restore Image" wizard and follow the directions in it. Acronis True Image will partition the new drive itself.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

13. Menorcaman

Hi Ilya,

I'm afraid you have confused me. Are you saying that, when restoring an image of a single partition HD to a new HD, the user will be given the option to resize the partition to fill the whole of the new drive? The last time I tried this I wasn't presented with an option to resize. From reading previous threads my understanding is that the option to resize the partition is only presented if the original image contains two or more partitions. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Kind regards
    Tom

14. Acronis Support

Hello Tom,

There is a difference between the restoring of a whole drive that contains only one partition and restoring this partition (without checking the top box near the drive number). If you act in the former way you are not given the option to resize. However, you should be given this option if you restore the partition only.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

15. Menorcaman

Hello Ilya,

Thank you for the clarification, which has corrected my misunderstanding of this particular scenario.

Kind regards
    Tom

16. javave

javave Registered Member

I did what you did write but Acronis stopped...

Now I have 2 more drives (L and M) and I can not where it was taken from. I am realy getting nervous....

How can I see that I am not deleting some of the programs I will need leter on?

It is not clear to me.

Jan

17. Acronis Support

Hello Jan,

Could oyu please describe the exact sequence of actions you performed? If I am not mistaken you have create an image of the whole old drive and stored it on the same drive, is that right? What do you do after that? Do you launch "Restore Image" wizard? What do you choose there?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

18. javave

javave Registered Member

Hello Ilya

I had a little more courage. It looks like that now H has the content of the C drive and I the content of the D drive.

Last question: how do I make the H drive the C drive (to boot from) and the I partition D: J: has to become E and K should be F:

I hope not to maby questions for a satterday evening.

Anyhow thank for your help so far,

Jan

19. Acronis Support

Hello Jan,

How did you restore the image? Did you restore partitions one by one or the whole drive? If the former one you need to restore once again choosing the whole drive.

Have you tried to boot with the new drive? Does the system boot? The drive letters are different because for the orignal system that you are in the new drive cannot have the letters C and D because they are already used by the orignal drive.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

20. javave

javave Registered Member

Does that mean that if the old one is not longer connected that the new one will be C: etc?

Jan

21. Acronis Support

Hello Jan,

Not exactly true. Let me explain. After you restored the image you have two systems, one on each drive. If you boot from the old drive its letters would be C, D, etc. (depending on how many partitions you have). If you boot from the new one, the letters on the new drive would be C, D, etc. You have two different copies of Windows now (actually they are similar but located on different hard drives) and each copy has its own partition layout. If I was not clear in the explanation please feel free to ask again.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

22. javave

javave Registered Member

Sorry, maybe becouse of my age (72) that I ask so many questions.

Now I have 2 HD in my computer one with aprox 60 Gig and the other with 160 Gig. I only need the new one so if I take the old one out. Will the new one automaticly be the boot drive. Thus : C for booting and then D, E and F? Or do I need to keep the old one and look for something they call dual booting?

Thanks for your help.

Jan

23. Acronis Support

Hello Jan,

You may unplug the old drive, make sure you have the new one set up as the first boot device in BIOS and go on bootin the computer. It should boot normally and you will see C and D drives in "My Computer".

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

24. javave

javave Registered Member

Hello Ilya again,

This is the first message from my new HD!

It gave some more trouble as you promised. First attempt unlocking made the computer start up Windows but for one reason or an other the D drive of the old computer was not completely installed. So I could not start any program. Connecting the old drive gave an error telling me that it could not open explorer and I should install it to work properly. As I could not connect to the Internet I could not ask you.

So with the rescue CD-rom I installed C and D again. And now it works.

But as you already experienced I always have things to ask! How can I now connect to the former C: drive. As I did not make a image of the situation of to day but of a few weeks ago after a fresh installed Windows. Being busy thinking how to start with the new HD I forgot to make a backup of my documents, my favourites and some more of those files. And an other strange thing happened. C, D and E are on their place but the 4th partion comes after the DVD and CD player so it became H.

Thanks for your patience! Hope that this will be my last questions but I am not sure about it.

Jan

25. Acronis Support

Hello Jan,

Could you please describe whether you booted from the new drive with the old one plugged to the computer? Also please let me know how you restored the image to the new drive? Please note that your old drive has the same content it had before the restoration of the image (providin you restored it to the new drive).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.