"Old" FDISR, FDR & RBrx

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Teknokrat, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Teknokrat

Teknokrat Registered Member

Thanks for the thorough explanation, Chris!

Was FDISR only sold as a download or where there boxed versions too?
    It really is a shame there is no legal means of aquiring a license even though the product is discontinued. I recall reading somewhere that Leapfrog eventually will release updates that will be made available for registered users? Is this true?

regards,
    T

2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Rollback is somewhat cripled as compared to full FDISR,its silly to have snapshots on same partition,if your drive get toasted,you will lose everything,a very serious weakness with Rollback,hence FDISR is superiour in terms of total security,reason why many prefer FDISR. Rollback is faster though, but who cares !

3. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

crippled is in the eye of the beholder. I have already stated the fact that rollback does not save all files every snapshot. It is nothing new.

Thanks,

Chris

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Thats why its good practice to do regular backups, in the event that something serious does happen to your drive you're not gonna lose all your snapshots.

5. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I only backup, if my system partition has been changed. My system partition hardly changes, unless I need a new permanent software, but that hardly happens, because I have all the softwares I need for work and hobby.
    The rest of softwares = install, try and uninstall.

I backup my data partition every day, but my system partition only occassionally, certainly not regularly.

6. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Yes,for me thats the starting point to have a solid imaging solution in the first place !

One more advantage with only FDISR is a bare metal recovery as per Peter's method he earlier mentioned,bit clumsy but it works.I did it myself a year ago cause anything else failed at the time.

7. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

Hi. May I interject a question since this post has focused on FDISR and RBRx.

I just purchased BOTH RBRx & Acronic TI V.11.

Which one would YOU install and use? Which one is better/worse and why?

After reading several posts on the forum, it ssems like Acronis TI is a heavy-duty package and has much more flexibility then RBRx.

Thanks for your input...

Tim

8. alloucho

alloucho Registered Member

ATI and RBRX are two different Progs with different Jobs. The first is an imaging software, the second is an ISR software.
    So you can install ATI, take an image of your system, then install RBRX. In the case you encounter any flexibility problems you could restore your system with ATI.

9. pratzert

pratzert Registered Member

Thanks for that info..... it helps.

Regards, Tim

10. rwt325

rwt325 Registered Member

ATI has the capability to backup/restore partitions, folders or files. It can put that image on any partition, internal or external (US HDs). It's most important feature is a Bootable Rescue Disk that you make yourself in five minutes. It takes you straight to ATI program from which you have a choice of images to restore. Since I have been using ATI since Windows ME that used to crash every ten minutes, that feature alone saved my sanity.

11. Teknokrat

Teknokrat Registered Member

The sole intention of this thread was to discuss the comparison between the three programs mentioned in the title thread. Acronis True Image is not one of them.

Judging from the issues raised in the Acronis part of this forum many users find ATI anything but reliable. Therefore it is not an option for me. ...but that is not what this thread is about.

regards,
    T

12. fce

fce Registered Member

both of you guys forgot the "imaging" features of RollbackRx8.1

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I really don't intend to throw cold water on satisfied customers of Rx but i have to chime in that neither Rx or any of it's competitors hold a candle to FD-ISR's Genuine releases that used to be distributed by another entity.

Looking back i can envision (if it were possible) an improved FD-ISR that not only allots 10 separate snapshots=systems but even more and also an iron clad LOCK against being forcefully displaced by some clever minded malware to unseat it's hold to the system installed on, but given the nature of windows NT systems, it's a no brainer that can't in reality be possible for any ISR, at least for very long i suppose.

I think LEAPFROG more or less pioneered perhaps the very best in ISR Technology "WITHOUT ISSUES" and further proof of their talents or at least forethought, this incredible ISR is served me as a duplicate if not replacement for my imaging needs.

Now i like to see any other ISR match those capabilities no to mention ErikAlbert's overjoy feature of the Freeze Storage treat.

EASTER

14. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Its been a while since I have read the Rollback Manual, twice. Unless things have changed in Rollback, they HAD to include an imaging feature just like they HAD to include a defragging feature ... Rollback makes such RADICAL changes to the sectors of the hard drive that they had no choice but to include those "extra" features since there was now no other way of doing them. After you install Rollback all of the defraggers no longer work including the built-in Windows defragger. Also, imaging softwares no longer work; so they included their own imaging feature. Has my memory failed me over that past couple of years, am I remembering this correctly? Or does Rollback include these extra features just out of the kindness of their heart?

Acadia

15. Empath

Empath Registered Member

Not really. The files created by Rollback are concealed in a manner that doesn't permit any visible identification, nor manipulation of them. Doing so, could be disastrous to the system. It has been explained before in their forums that the concept of permitting visibility or recognition of them for purposes of such things as defragging has been entertained, but the more caution-minded have prevailed in leaving them concealed. As a result, not being recognizable by defraggers, imaging software and such, could mean the files' destruction from those utilities. Being recognizable would mean the files' destruction from direct manipulation.

It's a sticky situation. Someday a better answer may come to be. For now though, such services through their own provided alternative utility functions are what we have.

16. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Rollback has a freeze feature...

Thanks,

Chris

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Removed inflammatory and unnecessary post.

Pete

18. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Simply Marvelous effort.

EASTER

19. ablatt

ablatt Registered Member

From what I've read, I have a few comments about FDISR.

1. You still need imaging in the event that FDISR 'snapshots' or the MBR or some other disk partitioning aspect gets corrupted. At that point, without imaging, you will need to re-install Windows, FDISR and recover snapshots, whereas with imaging you are back in minutes.

2. I don't believe Erik's static snapshot envrionment would work for me. I am updating applications and drivers constantly, installing service packs etc. This means that my baseline snapshot would constantly be changing. For now, I just create full images on a regular basis, but cannot simply boot into an image as if it was a partition, I must restore it to my boot drive. I can however, place all my data on a second drive so that my images stay quite small. So not sure, other than being able to easily boot into a selected snapshot vs. restoring an image, what the advantage of snapshots over images would be for me.

3. I also like the idea of not messing with the default MBR/boot sequence and staying pure vanilla Windows. This is a reason I don't install HIPS or other software that hook into the O/S at this point. Although I do run NOD32 as some sort of basic protection.

But I am open to suggestions that might improve my Vista 32-bit Image-only scenario.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  20. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I keep my system up-to-date, just like you, but I use other procedures and you don't need the latest updates immediately in a frozen system.
    I don't backup my actual system either like you and most users, I have another backup procedure, much safer.
    Every experienced FDISR-user knows that you can use FDISR in many different ways. I use FDISR in such a way, I don't have to spend any time anymore on cleaning and repairing my system.

21. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Good question, but not appropriate here. Actually there are several threads in the Anti-malware forum, that might be of help to you.

Pete

22. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

I purchased my copy of FDISR from Provantage in July 2006 on a CD which they shipped to me.

Rob

23. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Hey ErikAlbert,

You have to tell me how you convert an SP-image into an FDISR archive?
    I have for my favorite laptop an SP image with FDISR installed on a new XP Sp2 install. Give us the background info behind the magic Merlin ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.