okay arghh i have so many lic now ...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i have lic now for kis7, bitdefender, nis2008, avg internet sec, a trial for 6 months to avira and f-secure..

i hate all these choices.. i dont want a vs thread... but in your opinions what do you consider to be light? do you look at ram usage, browsing speeds, drive access, etc... ive tried most of what i have to test and i did see a lot of variance between them all.. im wondering what the general opinions are of a av or security suite being "heavy" ..... im not necc looking to name anyone here.. but maybe for newcomers they can get a better feel for what a light/heavy av is and what to know they will experience when everyone here says one is heavy on resources etc... again no bashing and you dont have to name anyone..

i know i am concerned with ram usage but not nearly as much as slowing my files/browser down is what drives me crazy...i also cant stand a av that takes nearly 10min or something crazy to fully start up..

this is just a thought for a good thread..

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I mainly consider if it slows down file browsing (Windows Explorer), Windows startup/shutdown time, and the mouse cursor movement.

3. cupez80

cupez80 Registered Member

why did you buy many licenses :D ? AFAIK avira is light, KIS 7 also light enough,

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Zfactor

Unfortunately, the only one that can answer your question is you. Everyone elses answer will be their opinion based on their setup, which most likely is different.

At the end of the day your only solution is try each one you have, and just decide on which one feels the best to you.

Pete

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

The only trait that matters is the one you're constrained by.

On a 1GB RAM system, what's 30 MB vs. 50 MB usage? If you have a peak commit charge of something reasonably less than the system RAM, it is basically nothing, yet posters seem to worry about it. Ignore RAM consumption unless you're tapped out for RAM.

Browsing or disk access speed? Well, what do you do? If you don't browse it won't matter. If all you do is browse, it will matter a lot. Same with disk access characteristics - there are fundamentally different results depending upon whether you run in a disk access intensive or access lean mode.

In other words, what we pay attention to may be irrelevant to you. This is a question you have to answer yourself and if you're not perceiving any differences, the answer is - to you there aren't any differences.

Blue

6. starter15

starter15 Registered Member

well, both kis and avira are light in resource use. other than that, try eset.

7. zfactor

no i understand that but so many people here say light this or heavy that i figured a thread like this may be helpful for people just learning about av's... i know i dont want any slowdowns in browsing or access' disk etc... some people have different opinions of this and thats what i was trying to get out in here..

8. zfactor

and as i said i was not trying to single out any one suite or av here...

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Reread my post and Blue's post. If the thread goes long enough, you will get 10 different opinions on each product, non of which might apply to you.

Will this thread be helpful to people. NO. For the reasons outlined.

10. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

and what we're saying is that you can't decouple the answer from the user, system, internet connection, and complement of applications running on a system.

Blue

11. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

every computer I have had has booted different tho I am very basic in nature of setup. What everyone is saying is you have a lot of choices. Which one makes you want to keep it on your system because you hardly know it;s there. To me that's the key of if it's working right. You shouldn't know anything is on & running...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.