Okay, 2.12 still locks up PC; now what??

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by nikheff, Sep 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nikheff

nikheff Registered Member

Hey gang:

Wrote a couple of days ago about new NOD version locking up PC on bootup and having to go to System Restore. I gave up on putting on new NOD version, till today.

Tried again, and the same thing happened! After NOD tells me it needs to reboot, I let it reboot and when NOD comes up, I totally get locked up! Nothing else will boot. Do I need to download update from web and try installing 2.12 update in safe mode or something? There has to be some reason why this is happening.

Am running at bootup SpySweeper, Spyware Guard, Spybot Teatimer, Avast AV.

Would appreciate any help/suggestions on why this is happening. I don't feel comfortable putting on SP2 unless NOD's new version is going to "play nice" with what I already have (XP Pro w/all SP1 updates), and it's my understanding the new NOD should be on before updating to SP2 anyway.

Nikki

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If Avast is running realtime and Nod is running realtime, they are going to fight.
    You need to stop Avast from running on startup.

3. nikheff

Aha! Methinks you've figured it out! I don't think I would have thought of that. You're right, though, and that makes sense. I noticed Avast would stop in its tracks in the taskbar while the new NOD was trying to start, too. Will try your suggestion and post back. (Of course, I'll make a restore point beforehand!)

Nikki

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Okay nikheff. We will be here. :D

5. nikheff

Well, hate to tell y'all this, but disabling Avast AV in startup didn't work either! Any other ideas? Hate not to have security stuff starting up just because I need new version of NOD and it's being finicky.....

Nik

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

start, run, msconfig, startup. Disable your other security programs on startup except for NOD and see if it will run.
    There is a conflict somewhere.

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Can you take a look at this thread

Let us know how you go...

Cheers :D

8. nikheff

Okay, let me get this straight on action to take.

1. I should disable all other security startup software in msconfig. Reboot.
    2. Put on, either from web download or auto install, new NOD version. Reboot.
    3. Hope I don't get locked up. If I don't lock up, I can allow other security software startup in msconfig and keep my fingers crossed. Reboot.
    4. If this doesn't work, I should uninstall NOD, find all registry entries (per other post you pointed me to on install probs). Try putting on new NOD again. Allow other security startups.

TeaTimer, etc. are registry protections and how do I know they'll all play nice even after doing all of the above? I agree, there is a conflict somewhere and maybe the only way to find out who the culprit is, is allowing security startups one by one (that's assuming I can get new NOD to install/run all by itself). If I hang on boot, it's only logical that the last allowed security startup is the problem.

Lordy, this shouldn't be this complicated. All I can say is thank god for system restore!

Nik

9. Blackspear

LMAO, if you want to see some fun have a look at post number 111 here

What other security programs are you running?

Have you tried what I have wriiten about in post number 12 here?

Let us know how you go...

10. BrainWarp

BrainWarp Registered Member

This is only a suggestion--I don't use nod32 ,but i have seen this problem before---you might need to uninstall avast antivirus and make sure it is all the way of you computer--then install nod32 again.

Sometimes just disabling an antivirus to install another doesnt work.

goodluck.

11. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Correct.

12. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Maybe you could post a log from Hijackthis here so that it's clear what programs are running.

13. nikheff

Okay, Blackspear, I'm LMAO too at post 111!! What a nightmare! Re-install OS and programs?? I don't think so!! Nah, ain't gonna happen, just to get NOD to work! Everything is working great, except for this little hiccup. Guess if I had nothing better to do---well, no, not even then. I do have an Acronis True Image backup of all of C: (my OS & apps; data is on E:) should the need arise because of virus or whatever. You have no idea of how many programs I would have to reinstall.....that's why I got Acronis and Norton Ghost.

Will look at post 12 again. I am going to uninstall Avast, reboot, stop any and all security stuff from starting at bootup, reboot, put on new NOD, reboot. Oh, and did I mention rebooting again several more times?

I have Spybot, SpySweeper, Spyware Guard, Spyware Blaster, Trojan Hunter, ZA Pro, Avast AV. Not all are in bootup.

Okay, and last but not least, I could post a HJT log, but I'm hoping I won't have to do that.

Nikki

14. Blackspear

Ahhh well, it’s what happens sometimes when you are testing a new product :D and in this case I was, the then Beta version of Nod32 :D

That should give Eset an idea of what is going on during the attempted install…

LMAO, that sounds like a good idea :D

Hopefully it won’t come to that, if it does, it is really simple to do, and this will give us more of an idea as to what is going on with your system…

Let us know how you go…

15. nikheff

I know ya'll can't wait to see what happens, but it'll be tomorrow night (Fri.) before I get to do this little "taking off/putting on" adventure, when I've got more time to do the continual rebooting and possible/probable system restore(s).

Will post with results, and whether or not I have any hair left.

Nik

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  16. nikheff

Gang, you'll be happy to know that I finally got updated to v2.12!!! I uninstalled Avast and deleted all registry entries for it, created a system restore point, rebooted. Updated NOD to 2.12, rebooted. Added back in by msconfig Spybot's Teatimer, rebooted. Added back in by msconfig Spyware Guard, rebooted. Everything is playing nice.

To save startup time, I've elected to start manually ZAPro and SpySweeper immediately after everything else boots.

Nikki

I still have hair.

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

That's great nikheff! Did you say you were behind a router?
    I ask because you say you are starting ZApro manually.

18. nikheff

Yes, I'm behind a Linksys wireless-b router; laptop has the Linksys wireless notebook adapter (it was a network kit). I decided a couple of weeks ago to get a wireless router after reading here and elsewhere that it's added security and another layer of protection since I have broadband. Of course, I did not install the Norton Internet Security 2004 that came with it; I can't imagine that it wouldn't conflict bigtime with ZAPro and NOD and lord knows what else. Don't trust Symantec too much anymore anyway...

I think there's a noticeable lag in booting up if I allow ZA to load at startup, so I just start it right after everything else boots. It comes up right away, same with SpySweeper.

Nikki

P.S. One other thing I did install instead of Avast, is AVG free AV. Just feel more secure with a "second opinion."

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Sounds like you have it covered nikheff! :)

20. nikheff

Thank you everybody for all your help, suggestions and support; really appreciate it! You guys are the best!

Nikki

21. Blackspear

Great to see that there was a solution found...

Enjoy :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.