Ok Uninstalled all snapshots except the primary. Won't defrag correctly.

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Horus37, Mar 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

Ok I eliminated all snapshots but the primary and went to defrag it and it doesn't defrag. Well it does sort of but there tons of major gaps. So I used fiddled with it and disabled the preboot screen, rebooted and then tried another defrag (MS standard defragger) still nothing better. So I though maybe I need to do a slack space, empty space wipe with eraser. Did that and now it's even worse as now it looks like half the system is way out in the middle of the disk now and won't defrag. When I ran eraser to erase stuff I got 30,000 errors and said that all these files were locked. I'm wondering if after uninstalling the other snapshots that they somehow locked the space and won't let a rewrite happen in that space? I'm afraid to start adding snapshots from the primary as I don't want to duplicate this fragemented state to any future snapshots. This is strange behavior and really makes me wish I had bought the defragger from raxco. However the defrags were working fine before I uninstalled all the snapshots. The drive looked great. Now it looks very chaotic. Something isn't right.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

The disk will tend to look that way after you have deleted snapshots, and the MS defragger will defrag the files, but leave them scattered all over the disk. You need to defrag with Perfect Disk, and everything will look just the way you want.

Pete

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Horus,
    You are using a mediocre MS Application, called "Disk Defragmenter", what do you expect ? Use PerfectDisk 8 and your problems are over.

I always wondered why the MS Applications under Accessories aren't stored under "Program Files", like any other application.
    It would be easier to uninstall them. ;)

4. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

May I humbly suggest jkdefrag. It's thorough and free. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.