Oh dear not again - CPU running at 100% -please help......

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Old Monk, Nov 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hello there

I hope some of you can help with this.

Some weeks ago the CPU on my laptop started running at 100% and just stayed like that. It usually happened when I tried to connect to the internet on my dial-up connection. Just couldn't resolve it and system restore didn,t have any effect.

Eventually I reformatted (again !) and everything was running fine. Then suddenly yesterday, after not having used the machine for a few days lo and behold it's started doing it again. This time it happens sometimes immediately my start -up programs have loaded and again when I try I dial -up. I connect ok but CPU is still running 100% and I can't get on Firefox or IE

This is what I have found so far.

1/ Task Manager shows svchost.exe running 5 times two of which are Network Services. One of these Network Services is where the CPU IS 100%.

2/ My error log shows numerous examples of this:-

13 November 2005 W32Time Time Provider NtpClient: An error occurred during DNS lookup of the manually configured peer 'time.windows.com,0x1'. NtpClient will try the DNS lookup again in 15 minutes. The error was: A socket operation was attempted to an unreachable host. (0x80072751)
    13 November 2005 W32Time The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No attempt to contact a source will be made for 10 minutes. NtpClient has no source of accurate time.
    13 November 2005 Service Control Manager Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the Dnscache service.

3/ When I end the svchost.exe process in Task Manger want showing the 100% all seems well and I can get on Firefox.

In order of when I downloaded them I am running the following, LnS,NOD32,AdAware, CCCleaner,Bluetack Hosts Manger and Hosts File, PG in learning mode and BitDefender free version.

Any ideas what the problem here is - any kind of conlict or could it be due to a program trying to update while I have no connection.

I really don't want to format again !

Cheers

Jon

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi my friend had the same problem, we fixed it by finding the path to the modules loaded by svchosts.exe using Process Explorer and going from there.

run Process Explorer; in the CPU column look for the svchosts.exe that's going crazy and highlight it.

then, at the top of Process Explorer, click on View>Show Lower Pane. then under Show Lower Pane click Lower Pane View>DLLs

the problem should be one of the DLLs. look at the description of the DLLs and see if there's one that corresponds to something you recently installed when the problem started. if that's the case uninstall the program.

if not, if you can go through the DLLs one at a time and Kill them until you kill one and the CPU useage goes back to normal, that might work. i don't know if you can do it with PE, but i'm sure that's how i fixed my friend's PC. if you can't kill the DLLs with PE try Faber Toys. sorry i can't help more.

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.html
    http://www.faberbox.com/fabertoys.asp

3. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Maybe.

The Hosts File can be the problem.

Try the following:

start services.msc and deactivate "dns client"

I'm not sure, but give it a try, it can't hurt;)

4. Old Monk

Thanks Iceni60 and Smokey

I had a suspicion last time about the Hosts File or CCCleaner when I fixed some registry issues (by the way I'm trying to follow Blackspears Guide to Security as closely as possible). Have discounted CCCleaner as I've left this alone this time so the Hosts file may well be a likely culprit. I .looked at the Hosts Manager last night and tried deleting downloade Hosts or restoring original Microsoft File but it wasn't having any of it. Being a newbie I think I've probably done something when installing the Hosts

Smokey, is your idea intended as permanent fix or will I have to dig deeper at some stage ?

Thanks Iceni60 - I'll try your idea if Smokey's doesn't work but it looks a bit complicated for me at this stage. I'm wary of making matters worse. Appreciated though.

Cheers Jon

5. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

A large Hosts file (over 135kb) slow down a W2000 and XP machine.

To resolve the issue:

- start | type "services.msc" (no quotes)
    - scroll down to "dns client", right-click and select: "properties"
    - click the drop-down arrow for "startup type"
    - select "manual", click apply/ok and restart.

The fix is permanent, and should solve your problem.

Attached Files:

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i hope it is the hosts file. also i hope Smokey doesn't mind but i think he means Start>Run>then type - services.msc

if you are having problems editting/changing your hosts file try right-clicking it and selecting Properties, at the bottom of the popup it says Attributes, untick the box that says Read Only then click Apply.

good luck.

7. Old Monk

Smokey - you beat me to it !!

Just tried disabling dns client and couldn't connect at all - Error 691. Thanks for the more detailed fix - will try it now and I'll let you know how it goes.:)

Cheers

Jon

8. Hi Old Monk,

As a side-note .... whether you choose to apply any changes with Process Explorer or not, it is no doubt one of the finest free system process viewer's available on the internet today ... and *not* only IMHO. ;)

User friendly and well worth residing on any self-maintained computer.

GF

9. Old Monk

Thanks Iceni60

Thanks for your advice. Will do.:)

After this I might revisit that thread somewhere here about whether a hosts file is really necessary !

Cheers

Jon

10. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Is correct;)

11. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

Please don't shoot me when the fix don't work!:D

12. Old Monk

Smokey

No need to worry :blink: :blink: :D :D 2 Reboots and all seems well. Only one Network Services running in Task Manager, CPU seems fine and as added bonus, may only be coincidence but getting extra 4-6 kbps on my connection. Hats off to you mate and and to Wilders for giving people a voice for there helpful advice such as this.

The home/casual usesr such as myself who are trying their best to protect themselves would be completely lost without a place like this.

Thanks also to you Iceni and Me/Global Force for your link and advices - I'll look into Port Explorer.

Cheers

Jon

13. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

have alook at Process Explorer while you're at it :D

14. Smokey

Smokey Registered Member

We do what we can to help people which are in trouble;)

Thanks a lot you don't shoot me!:D :D

Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  15. Old Monk

Ooops :oops: where did that come from !

Applied once for a job as a proof reader - didn't get it - can't think why :D

Cheers

Jon

16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

a what reader? OK not funny. i'm glad you got it fixed.

17. Subconscious desire's? :D
    Yep! Me .... GlobalForce! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.