Official List of Defunct Anti-Malware/AV/ADW Applications.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Mayahana, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

eXtendia AVK was a rebranded G-DATA, and used RAV+Kaspesky. I worked for eXtendia Software as an analyst and quality control engineer back in the day. It was actually a fairly good selling AV product (mostly to businesses) in the USA when GDATA had little to no brand recognition. eXtendia later branched into an encrypted chat system for businesses about the time I was leaving them.

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I thought Avira was the same as AntiVir, just named after the company that took over developement? I was so used to calling it AntiVir that for a long time I still called it that even though it became known as Avira.

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I used to think eXtendia was a dozen employees at best given how "simple" it's setup seemed. Nice to know they did have quality control engineers.

P.S. Why did eXtendia never bother to replace the RAV engine or provide automatic software updates to the product?

Basically, it was like this: Avira was a workstation line of products that used the AntiVir engine and it was developed by H+BEDV. AntiVir was developed by AntiVir Personal Products GmbH and this was a sister company of H+BEDV. The two companies merged in 2006 to form the modern Avira GmbH.

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Thanks for explaining that.

5. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Sorry Mike I didn`t mean to jump the gun on the later versions.

I was talking about RVS 2010 Home Lux(plus the earlier versions V2x) great product,well designed GUI,packed with features, light and compatable with other software.

Will check-out QuietZone when I move to Win10.

Regards Eck:)

6. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi Eck,
    RVS Lite 2011 (v2.1x) is also still available. It is a specialized version however for inner ring systems/networks without Internet access and does not support Win 8, 8.1, and Win 10.

7. woomera

woomera Registered Member

Sygate firewall, oh i miss you so much...:sad:

8. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I am still using it...:)

9. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

If I had to chose a program from the many I've used it would be ThreatFire.
    It was so very effective and configurable and light and it had that simple and cute interface common to PC Tools products.
    Even the alerts were simple to understand, for a behaviour blocker app.

threatfire.JPG

10. guest

guest Guest

Didn't know that. It might be another reason for me to lay my hands on BullGuard. Not many buzzes about it here though.

11. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I personally think Novashield has gone to die in Bullguard. I am unsure if they've even enhanced it for the modern systems, and Bullguard keeps scoring lower with each passing year.

12. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Good to know Mike that RVS is still out there in some form and being supported.:thumb:

One of the greats for sure.:cool:

Regards Eck:)

13. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Online Solutions Security Suite http://www.online-solutions.ru/en/products/osss-security-suite.html. I used it and it was very powerful and highly granular. Some issues in the first versions - basically sometimes it freezed after the installation and during the configuration process - but they had solved this. Great product, development stopped. The usual problem, I believe: I would pay for it, but how many others ?

14. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Unfortunately, a lot of good security products had that problem, especially those that weren't dependent on regular updating to be effective. With products like OSSS and SSM, the vendor could either sell the software outright or as a renewable service. As a one time sale that targeted a small percentage of users, they weren't profitable enough to keep them in business. Offering them as a renewable service made it the equivalent of leasing the software, terms that many users won't accept. Financially, there's no good answers to the problem.

15. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

16. Oximoronman

Oximoronman Registered Member

Hey people there is definitely Stocona antivirus 3.3 pro,which had intelligent engine, without virus signatures, and it was from far 2005,but still has good detection like Avira or Kaspersky,but realtime catching of viruses are bad.

17. Oximoronman

18. Mayahana

Mayahana Banned

I remember Zoner!

19. IBK

IBK AV Expert

are you sure that Zoner is officially dead?

20. Oximoronman

Yes,Windows version and Linux.Only android is supported.Windows version never officialy launched,only rare beta

21. MeAgain

MeAgain Registered Member

Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
  22. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I also remember this one, but overall I didn't like it, it was a bit too overwhelming when it came to the options.

23. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Isn't it still available? Now "mks_vir 9.0"
    http://www.mks.com.pl/

24. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I am unsure if BluePoint Security is still supported. Website mentions that its works upto Windows 7.

25. MeAgain

MeAgain Registered Member

It could be a bit intimidating, but if I remember correctly, the help menus were pretty good. I think because it was so different than other AV products at the time that I liked it. But Arovax Shield, Threat Fire, and Active Virus Shield were some of my favorites. The problem with Active Virus Shield though, was that having the Kaspersky engine, it caused the same problem KIS and KAV did at one time. I remember having CHKDSK problems after using it. I think it would hang or something, but I'm not sure what the cause was now. I can google it though, I'm sure. lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.