official Eset 5 coming in SEPT 2011

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus/Smart Security Beta' started by 1nvad3r, Aug 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

yes, he is talking about this version.
    Check the video description.

2. piranha

piranha Registered Member

which video o_O

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  3. toxinon12345

The Next Generation of Computer Security.
    Upgraded to counter even the most sophisticated cyberthreats.

Unique proactive protection delivers security before new threats become public knowledge. Whether it's web-browsing, exchanging e-mails, or paying bills online, you can rely on real-time, continued and consistent level of protection from even never-before-seen forms of malware.

4. piranha

o_O

you lost me.... give me a link if possible or lead me better

5. toxinon12345

6. piranha

ok, i already know this video but just say september 2011, no more (sept 13 as report in FB). I was sure you talk about another one, sorry

7. toxinon12345

The above description is between the video window and the comments.
    I cant believe it, lol.

8. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Wich is called, The Video Description :p

9. piranha

cant believe the video or that i am blind.... (not really but this time, ho yeahhhhh..) o_O :p

in fact, i was searching the video on Facebook (see post no 24 with the BIG news of final release), so i wasnt in the good place. Didnt remember the 8th post here with video web link to youtube

10. toxinon12345

i think it is mainly the unbelievable part ;)*puppy*

11. piranha

o_O ho yeahhhhhhhhhhh !! :blink: :doubt:

in fact, it means a better zero day protection, isnt it ?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  12. toxinon12345

well, i wouldnt count the cloud as a proactive method; but heuristics have a detection of >53% for threats created after the last update (unknown - no signature available).

But hey, you can create a list of allowed software and set to policy based mode, in the Intrusion Prevention System.

13. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

The HIPS functionality in v5 marks the first time this functionality has been exposed in the user interface to customers. Previously, HIPS rules were just a part of the heuristics technology. A subset of those were simplified and used as the basis for the new HIPS module (along with some new things that were added based on internal feedback and requests) in v5.

ESET has been gathering reputation data for a while through various sources and means, and it has been used in various ways. For example, Smart Optimization in v4 makes use of the collected data.

Right now, the couplings between HIPS, reputation data and other threat intelligence are fairly malleable. Part of the reason for that is because these functions were previously internal to the program, and making them available in the user interface is new to v5. But the other, more guiding reason is to ensure maximum flexibility in how these "threat feeds" of data are analyzed and processed to allow currently-available, soon-to-be-available and far-in-the-future versions of ESET software to react. Some data is looked at and responded to in real-time, while other sets of data have to be batched and processed over time so that trends and changes in behavior can be observed. Looking at just a snapshot of data taken at a given instant is not always going to produce meaningful, useful or actionable intelligence.

The key here really is to periodically review/look at/examine all of the data which comes in over various periods of time in order to determine how using that data in various combinations can better protect people, without doing things like impacting performance, or causing false positives. I suppose one way of looking at things is that ESET has set its framework up for V5 (and beyond) to create mash-ups. These will show up in new and novel ways in how the program protects you from threats.

I personally have found some of the feedback in the forum that the HIPS module is only suitable for advanced users a little disappointing, not because I disagree with it, but because one of the goals was to provide HIPS which is suitable for people of all levels of computing experience, particularly novices. Clearly, there is ongoing work to be done in this area, and it will continue through—and beyond—the v5 release cycle. Having the world's best protection is useless if it doesn't help the folks who need it the most, as those of you who do support for friends and family are, no doubt, quite aware. The good news here is because ESET licenses its software by time rather than by a version, customers will get any improvements made to the software for free, even if that means a brand-new version of the software.

In response to your other questions:
    1. I have talked about heuristics elsewhere in the forum, and it is also a topic that regularly gets discussed in the ESET Threat Blog, such as in this article, so I am not going to go into detail about those in this post. Smart signatures refers to use of technology like generic signatures which can detect families of malware. DNA refers to examining the familial relationships between families of malware, much like rDNA and mitochondrial DNA is used biologically.
    2. I believe the issue with the ESET graphic user interface window was fixed in a subsequent build.
    3. Text in the user interface is still be tweaked. ESET NOD32 Antivirus does do some network monitoring, but it is nothing like what the ESET Personal Firewall in ESET Smart Security does.
    Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

14. piranha

thanks !! ;) :D :cool:

15. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

Thanks a lot for your honest and clear post.

Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the choices ESET made for previous versions and also for version 5. So I will stay loyal to ESET, since it is the program with the least weaknesses in my eyes (and, therefore, my favourite).
    However, to me it wasn't actually clear how you guys looked upon HIPS in automatic mode, now it is much more clear.

16. Coccinelle

Coccinelle Registered Member

I've been a user of Avira still 3y. and i change to Eset.
    I'm a user of Eset still 1y.
    I hope HIPS to be improuvment and be more modern.Becouse when i open IE9 hi ask me a 1000 question.I hope for the good of all users.
    Now HIPS is very RETRO(oldfashion)

17. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Then don't switch HIPS to interactive mode but leave it in automatic mode. This way HIPS will protect crucial system areas and advanced heuristics coupled with generic signatures will take care of malware detection.

18. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

To be honest, ESET's explanation (below the list) of how the various HIPS modes work is very clear. If you want the HIPS to provide more protection than in automatic mode, use the learning mode for sometime and then switch to the policy-based more (or any other of the modes for advanced users).

19. xan K

xan K Registered Member

According to Eset's Facebook page, next Tuesday (September 13th) we'll have our new version. :)

20. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

When can we expect the other languages? I guess some weeks after the English and Slovakian versions?

21. rrawson

rrawson Registered Member

Do we know if the Business editions of NOD32 and SS v5 are coming out on Sept. 13 as well? And if updated versions of the Admin Console are being released along with them?

22. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

As far as I know, the business lineup will be completely seperate from the home lineup upward of version 5. I think beta starting will start this month for the business lineup.

23. proactivelover

proactivelover Registered Member

time has come to Introduce v5

24. piranha

we'll know soon if september 13th is the good date !

25. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Hope so, I would like to upgrade all my computers before my week long vacation in Hawaii. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.