Office 2019 will be Windows 10 exclusive

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Feb 1, 2018.

1. guest

guest Guest

Office 2019 will be Windows 10 exclusive
    February 01, 2018
    https://www.ghacks.net/2018/02/01/office-2019-will-be-windows-10-exclusive/

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Good news, need to avoid Windows 7 becoming another XP.

3. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Yeah, I don't get why people refuse to upgrade their OS but insist on running the latest of everything else.

4. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

Well, Windows 7 is leaps and bounds ahead of XP in terms of its fundamental security, especially if one is running the Ultimate or Enterprise version, x64, and utilizing Applocker or even SRP. It may even, for some, come down to preferring Windows 7 to later Windows versions. If one has the ability to confidently secure Windows 7 against common exploits, especially if their needs are that of a home or SOHO user, then there should be no issues securing against typical modern day threats.

That said, I do get it: No one in their right mind should be running XP anymore, unless they can run it offline. And probably in a few years, the same could be said for Win 7 and perhaps Win 8.x It obviously makes sense that to run an O/S enforced with the highest level of security possible, one needs to run the latest version available.

5. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I suppose your comment is a reaction to the post about Office 2019 being limited to Windows 10. That is a business decision that makes sense as Windows-as-a-Service and cloud computing aligns with Microsoft's current strategic vision. It is also making it clear to the enterprise that the migration from W7 to W10 had better conclude by January 14, 2020. If they lag behind, W7 will not support Office 2019.

I'd also like to make it clear that both W7 and W8.1 are in extended support and not dead yet. ;) Both are continually updated (security updates), so they both are considered a current OS. Users are encouraged to keep their software current for security reasons. That is the case here. Besides security, users upgrade software if they believe new function or features provide value. An OS upgrade encompasses a lot more consideration.

6. xxJackxx

It was a response toe the Office 2019 post. Windows 7 gets extended support until 2020, as does Office 2010. My point was that people will complain they can't run Office 2019 on Windows 7, but I don't see a reason to. Products that are out of mainstream support probably shouldn't run new software. The backwards support would probably create more security holes than it is worth.

7. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

However that was Microsoft's policy for decades. Office is a prime example of that.

The difference with this announcement is that it includes a policy change. The cloud, not the desktop, is where Microsoft wants Office. Probably more so, because it is a revenue generator. In the future, if an organisation wants to run Office on W7 they have to buy a subscription to Office 365. Consumers are better off looking for something open source if they do not want to use a version of Office that is no longer supported.

8. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes, that are bad news for users that don't want to use cloud. I still hope that they will offer a version that will be cloud-free for those that don't want to use it. If they won't, I will probably go with Win 10 LTSB (2018) + Office 2016 and have support till 2025 (2028).

9. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Let it be...:cool:

10. lofac

lofac Registered Member

I agree with emmjay in the point that is just a business decision. MS wants their entire user base to be running 10 (not that they care too much about users' security, but rather to collect more in-depth info). Personally, using Windows means using W7, other than that I'll just move completely to linux. Windows 7 is Microsoft's best creation and will keep so for a very long time ahead!

Expecting to see more "W10 exclusives" in the near future.

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

They may retract that move if enough big business balk.

12. noway

noway Registered Member

That's OK. No intention of downgrading (IMHO!) to Windows 10 anyway.

13. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

The more restrictive they get the smaller their user base will become.

14. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

windows 10 is not that bad as it seems. but in the closer past it has been pointed out that eg the forced updatees and there to name meltdown patches were worse and caused culprits with some headaches (omg).
    click-2-run.

from my view office 2019 will be dead if it arrives
    why to pay for a product which has same end like the previous one which was already bought?
    my LTSB is running out this year. currently i investigate some thoughts into LTSC or Pro with nLite modified.

15. Minimalist

Yes, it makes not much sense to buy upgrade.

LTSB releases get 10 years support and it will end in 2025 and 2026. More info here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

16. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

I'm on Windows 10 already but I still use Office 2010, and I intend to use it as long as possible. I see no reason to upgrade to a higher Office version at the moment.

17. Brummelchen

this would if i had the latest build 1709, but it is stuck at 1607 and that will end this year.

18. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

I use LibreOffice for creating documents from scratch I am not going to share in editable form with MS Office users. For example my curriculum vitae, resume is created in LibreOffice then exported to PDF.
    I use WPS Office by Kingsoft when I want some collaboration with users of Microsoft Office. It is good enough for my use-cases.

I don't mind Microsoft releasing Office as exclusive anymore.

19. xxJackxx

Windows 7 io almost a decade old at this point. I'm sure they do want all of their users on Windows 10. It would cut down on updates and support. If they just wanted to collect info, they can already do that. You have no idea what Windows 7 collects or has been updated to collect.

20. Minimalist

Are you sure you are talking about LTSB version? LTSB version doesn't get major upgrades. There were 2 releases so far one in 2015 and other in 2016 and both will get 10 years of security updates (no feature updates or upgrades available). Next expected release is scheduled for 2019.

EDIT: you can check your system properties to see if you really use LTSB version:

upload_2018-2-5_14-3-31.png

21. Brummelchen

22. Minimalist

Here is more information about Windows 10 release dates: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-info.aspx
    As you can see LTSB was only released as 1507 and 1607 and both will be supported for 10 years. Next one is expected to be released in 2019.
    There is also no mention about CBB 17' being released yet.

23. Brummelchen

i begin understanding.
    https://support.microsoft.com/de-de/lifecycle/search?alpha=Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB

i have to wait until LTSC is released, pity
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2017/07/27/waas-simplified-and-aligned/
    i think i start practice with ntlite and ten pro.

24. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

For home users, this is absolutely not an issue - businesses, that's a different thing.
    But office 2016 will be supported till 2026, and that's 6 years past win7 eol and 3 years past win8 eol.
    So really, that's more than enough, given the fact, you can still use office 2010 with full compatibility with anything today.
    Mrk

25. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yeah and once businesses play with that new click once installer they may well balk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.