office 2007 update problem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by mantra, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi
    i installed offfice 2007
    but i did a custom install
    i installed only word 2007 because it's the only one i need

well after i installed , a pop up told me there are updates

well i use xp pro sp2 with last update

the updater wanted to download and install lots of patches and updates for exel power point and so on

so there are many update ,1 only for word ,but the updater downloaded many many many files

i installed only word why does the update download lots of patch for the others programs ?

is there a way to keep update only word?

thanks

2. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

First of all, if you only need Word 2007, why buy the whole suite?

Since you installed Office 2007, Windows Update will see it as Office 2007, instead of only Word 2007. As such, it will install updates it thinks Office 2007 needs. Also, there are other components that come with Office 2007, which is probably the reason why Windows Updates wants to download many updates.

3. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello

I have Office 2007 installed on one of my machines and I have noticed the same. The updates will be downloaded for the whole suite but during the installation the installer will mark the ones for the apps you don't have installed as "not required" and will not install them. Naturally.

Stupid, yes, and I have not found a way around this. I believe you can't opt out the apps from the Office suite during update, as Windows updater will search for updates in 2 "modes" - "for Windows only" and "for Windows and other software from Microsoft Updates".

Cheers,

4. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

One of the updates (the big one +200 MB)is service pack 1 for office.And that as claimed by Microsoft adds security and speed improvments.
    I don't know if you can update only word ,probably you'll have to look at each other update info to see what it does.
    I also recently discovered that i can buy only the parts of the suite ,and the prices are low,but Open Office does what i need.

5. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Of course, one of the options is to set Automatic Updates to notify you when updates are available (or manually check every second tuesday/wednesday in a month) and download each update manually and then install. I have used this tactics for some months (for Office as well as for Windows), but quit due to obvious awkwardness and complexity. Now that I think of it, I may even return to this method as it has its benefits.

6. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Mantra, perhaps you want to manually check the Microsoft Office Update page, every Patch Tuesday, for any Word updates.

7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks i did not know i could buy only 1 component for example only word!o_O

8. mantra

mantra Registered Member

thanks

how can i get rid of the paches downloaded in vain for me?

9. mantra

mantra Registered Member

many thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.