Office 2007 corrupted after image restore using TI 2009

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ddraper, Oct 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryFox

TerryFox Registered Member

Well I finally made a backup image with the latest 2009 version and build . I must agree there was a problem afterward once I did a restore of this backup with my Office 2003 . I went to load " Word 2003 pro " I got a pop up saying I have a miss file and I needed to insert my Office 2003 pro disc in my optical drive .

2. The Sand

The Sand Registered Member

I just looked at TI to see if I could remember what I did. Under backup I selected "Email." Then I selected Outlook. When I restored back Outlook it freaked and went bad. I couldn't repair, I uninstalled but couldn't reinstall. So, that was the Office program that wouldn't work after a TI restore. I should have been more specific...

This sounds like a better way!

Sandy (Happy Halloween!!)

3. lesterf1020

lesterf1020 Registered Member

I am starting to think that the Office restoration problems are limited to the unix restoration environment. I have not had any problems with Office after restoring but I restore from a second dual boot copy of windows. So I backup and restore in the windows environment. When I try to restore from the CD I get into trouble.

4. bobmitch

bobmitch Registered Member

lesterf1020

Very odd! I only have issues when I backup with TI2009 and Office. When I backup with TI11 and restore with TI2009 recovery CD...Office is fine. When I back up and restore with TI11...no office issues. Even if I back up with TI10 and restore with TI11 no Office issues. Only TI2009 backed up with Recovery CD or Windows and Office is messed up.

5. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Since others have had serious problems, we'd like to know about your system.

What version of Windows? XP, Vista, what service packo_O

What version and build of TI did you make the backups with?

What version and build of TI did you restore the backups with?

What kind of computer is this (brand, model or motherboard info)?

Where was the backup image stored?

Did you restore an entire hard drive (all partitions) at once or just the boot (C:) partition.

All of thses could be essential info in figuring out how TI 2009 could be screwing users.

6. sicile28

sicile28 Registered Member

1/ Vista SP 1
    2/ TI 2009 Build 9605
    3/TI 2009 Build 9605
    4/ Toshiba X200-21E Bios 2.50
    5/ Backup image stored on Hard Disk
    6/ restore boot (C partition). and D partition

Thanks for all

7. sicile28

Sorry , Acronis Build # 9615 and not 9605.

8. ShyBoy

ShyBoy Registered Member

I have noticed that the difference between ATI home 11 & 2009 is that file exclusion is selected by default for ATI 2009.
    In my case, I've tested backup image with file exclusion option(.bak, .~, .tmp, .tib extensions) then restore, had problem with MS office 2003 (SP3).
    Then I've tested once again without file exclusion option, then restore, had no problem with MS office.
    So, I guess maybe it would be the problem caused by exclusion of files that essential for MS office for the creation of backup image.
    Is there anyone who tried this without file exclusion option? Please advise.

9. sicile28

Yes ! perfectly you're right, now, it's ok, i have the same opinion as you, the file exclusion by default for ATI 2009 cause problem with office 2007. Maybe, we will have an update with not exclusion by default. Thanks for all:) :thumb:

10. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Good work, that's very interesting. It also appears to confirm my thought on file exclusion when I saw it for the first time in TI - it goes against the wisdom of why you are making a true backup of your entire partition in the first place.

I can easily see the scenario where you are having trouble with a word-processing document and the original is screwed up, might be nice to have available the .bak or .tmp or whatever. Also, these files generally don't take up a great deal of space anyway.

11. atin90

atin90 Registered Member

The culprit is file called opa12.bak located in '\ProgramData\Microsoft\office\data\' in Office 2007. The option in TI2007 to skip all BAK files needs to be removed from Source file exclusion list in TI2007.

12. atin90

atin90 Registered Member

Also, I do not understand why the exclusion list does not have PAGEFILE.SYS and HIBERFIL.SYS as default exclusions. It's no problem for me to add these two files.
    Back to the BAK files....not only does TI 2009 have this issue with this OP12.BAK file but some CRAP cleaning programs need to be watched for this. Microsoft should not depend on any BAK file for it's integrity but since it does, we have to watch it.

13. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

The pagefile and hibernation files have never been backed up in a TI image regardless of version. A few byte placeholder is put into the archive file instead.

14. bobmitch

Atin90

Interesting find! So you are saying that with Office 2007, I have to insert the installation disk because the .bak file is missing...I am certainly NOT willing to format my hard drive and restore from a backup just to find this out...but I am in full belief of what you say. Perhaps...if this is my only issue, then there is hope for TI2009

Bob

15. atin90

atin90 Registered Member

Bob,

You do not have to do that. All you have to do is copy the 'opa12.dat' to 'opa12.bak' in this directory and that will fix the problem if the image creation was done with the option to delete all BAK files.

16. bobmitch

OK...that answers my issue with Office 2007...is this issue more severe with older versions of Office? I notice where others stated that they actually had to uninstall Office 2003 using MS uninstaller and then totally reinstall...any thought as to what happens there?

Bob

17. atin90

atin90 Registered Member

Office 2003 uses the same BAK file.

18. atin90

atin90 Registered Member

Simple fix to correct restored image that has the BAK files deleted.

From Start menu load CMD then insert following on the DOS command prompt:

copy "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Office\data\opa12.dat" "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Office\data\opa12.bak"

Do not use Control V if using cut/paste, since it does not work in DOS. Copy above then click right mouse button while at the DOS prompt and select 'paste'.

19. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Very simple but apparently too complicated for Acronis programmers to build the coding for this step into ATI. Well, maybe they'll have a fix in the next version, for an upgrade fee, of course.

20. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

To clarify, when using the ATI 2009 #9615 Boot CD to make an image, or when using within Windows...you DO NOT want to use the option to exclude any of the extensions? I understand the .BAK extension being related to the Miscrosoft Office problem, but what about the other three ( .~., .TMP , & .TIB ) Should these be included in the image as well?

As many others have mentioned, Office is a very popular program. A lot of people won't be aware of the exclusion issue. There's gonna be thousands of customers pissed off. Acronis needs to post this on their web sight, or put out a new build immediately to solve this issue. ALL software companies would do this, ...but we're talking about Acronis. I guess they feel they're special, and don't have to. Makes me so damn angry :cautious:

{Another question}
    Can someone verify that this is the correct size of the ATI 2009 #9615 Boot CD?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2008
  21. atin90

atin90 Registered Member

The TIB extension is the extension used by True Image for backups so you would be creating image of drive containing another image(s) and that is not desirable under normal circumstances. The TMP is used for temporary file and is not used for anything else but that. The .~ and sometimes .$$$ is very similar to TMP but even more so.

22. mustang

mustang Developer

@atin90

Good work. Thanks for solving this issue.

I can confirm that making an image using the TI 2009 recovery disk also sets the option to exclude bak, ~, tmp and tib files by default. Changing this option solves the problem.

I did my testing with Office 2003. The files in question is opa11.bak for Office 2003. It will be found in different locations depending on the OS you use.

Under Vista it will be at C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\OFFICE\DATA or %ProgramData%\Microsoft\OFFICE\DATA or %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Microsoft\OFFICE\DATA. Vista sets ProgramData and ALLUSERSPROFILE equal to C:\ProgramData. (Assuming your system drive letter is C.)

Under WinXP it will be at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\OFFICE\DATA or %ALLUSERSPOFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\OFFICE\DATA.

23. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

I wish to thank everyone that has contributed to this posting. Having identified the issue I have passed this on to many folks and it will save much frustration.

In that I only do full backups to another drive I have unchecked the box in Source file exclusion that reads Exclude files matching the following criteria. When backing up in Windows this then becomes the default. In my opinion this should be the default as provided by the TrueImage build.

As expected when backing up via the Rescue Media CD one needs to be attentive enough to modify the selection before proceeding as we don’t have access to the Recovery Manager to make a permanent change.

Hopefully Acronis will address this in a timely manner as this will no doubt be a continuing problem for many.

24. starsfan09

starsfan09 Registered Member

I can also confirm that UNCHECKING to EXCLUDE the .BAK does completely solve the problem with Office.

I used ATI 10 4942 Boot CD to restore an image. Then used the ATI 2009 9615 Boot CD to make a FULL image, and then restored it. Decided to just remove everything from the exclusion box, and then unchecked the box to NOT exclude anything. After rebooting, Office opened up as usual (no problems) Checked the size of the C: partition, and it's incredibly very close the size of the hard drive (USED and FREE space before and after the image.)

Basically, the 9615 Boot CD may be good after all. But would like see an update to fix it because users unaware of it - are in for a treat. o_O

PS. Can someone confirm the size of the ATI 2009 #9615 Boot CD? The picture is above. Just need to know. :cautious:

25. The Sand

The Sand Registered Member

I have one computer, a Vista with Office 2007 running TI 11 and in my backup default settings I have selected to exclude all bak, tmp and ~ files. I have never had any trouble with restoring on that computer (using the CD or from Windows) - which includes Office 2007 running fine after a restore.

So, is this problem localized to the new TI 2009 only? Should I change what I have selected as my backup default options for file exclusions on that computer...

Thanks,
    Sandy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.