OE Classic discussions and updates

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by FanJ, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

UPDATE: I did as you suggested and was very surprised to hear back within an hour. After all, it is Sunday. The instructions on how to accomplish my request worked very well.

2. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

3. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

OE Classic 2.9 Beta - updated 2019-01-10

Bug fix

[2019-01-10] Improved mouse wheel handling to make it scroll in the Source Editor, Signatures Editor (Options) and some other controls

4. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

OE Classic 2.9 Beta - updated 2019-01-21

New feature

[2019-01-21] Spell checker dictionary download in Options (41 supported languages or language variations)

5. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

OE Classic 2.9 Beta - updated 2019-01-24

New features

[2019-01-24] Quick selection and display of used spell checker language and message format (Plain Text or HTML) in the Message Editor status bar

[2019-01-24] Improved auto-selection of account which is used to reply - only if unambiguous (no 2 or more accounts with the same From email)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
  6. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

OE Classic 2.9 Beta - updated 2019-01-26

New feature

[2019-01-26] Export of EML files now sets file dates based on the Received date and allows a total of 200 characters in the full path

7. Willy2

Willy2 Registered Member

- I wish the OEC developers would concentrate on fixing bugs and finalizing v2.90 instead of adding new features.
    - But the developers seem to have their own agenda and schedule on what to add to the program.

8. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Version v2.90 will soon be finalized. What bugs exactly are you talking about? If you think there's something that doesn't work as expected, just get in touch with the developers, who offer top-notch support. They usually get back to you within a couple of hours.

9. Willy2

Willy2 Registered Member

- New version of OE Classic available for those who have the PRO version.

[2019-01-27] Updated SSL/TLS libraries with the latest bug/security fixes (v1.0.2q)

10. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Updated. Thanks for the info, @Willy2 :)

11. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thanks.
    The OpenSSL files libeay32.dll and ssleay32.dll were updated in OE Classic from version 1.0.2o to 1.0.2q.
    More info at the OpenSSL changelog https://www.openssl.org/news/cl102.txt
    Those OpenSSL files are dated 22 Nov 2018.

12. Willy2

Willy2 Registered Member

- Again a new update for OEC today. No details on what was changed.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  13. phz

phz Registered Member

That is exactly what we are doing. 2.9 is being finalized right now. Feature-set for 2.9 is essentially frozen now and just the final polishing is being done. 2.9 final is around the corner really.

We don't have that much of an imagination. Every feature you see being implemented is requested by the users and you wouldn't believe the level of details we've had to go into to reach the current version. Current #1 priority (the only feature) for the version 3.0 is IMAP - again as requested by most users. Sometimes though, we figure out how to make something we couldn't do for a number of years (for example, due to a lack of Microsoft documentation, code examples etc.) - in such a case, we make a little alteration in priority but not too much. An example of this was spell checker. When we figured out how we can do that, we took the opportunity to knock down one of the top-5 most requested features by the users (and thus, associated feature-requests, which are the load onto the user support). However, we cannot offer support here - for that please use the regular support page. We read this forum very rarely or not at all so this is an exception. If you have a found a bug, please report it through our page but note that the queue is very long, so cannot be processed immediately.

Such updates with seemingly no changes are usually small accommodations for translators, for example a change in width of a certain button. Not seen by many and it seems like nothing is being done. But it is. Other times it may be a bugfix of a previous bugfix (yes, that happens too). Or fix of a part of a new feature which was announced in the readme but not in details but just as a large feature which consists of smaller building blocks and some of these blocks fell apart - needed a bug-fix. All of these would make ReadMe too exhaustive and too lengthy. But each change makes the program more stable and more polished, even the tiny ones. Again, if you have any doubts about an update, feel free to contact us, we clarify the changes as we go along - or read our Facebook page which goes into more details describing such minor changes as it is more of a log of the workflow.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  14. Willy2

Willy2 Registered Member

@phz:
    - Thanks for replying.
    - I know where to contact you by email and already have done so in the past. And I will do so only when I think it's needed/warranted.

15. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

OE Classic 2.9 Beta - updated 2019-02-13

New features
    • [2019-02-11] 9 new localization files - Simplified Chinese (China), Traditional Chinese (Hong Kong, Taiwan), Czech, Danish, Greek, Hungarian, Norwegian, Slovenian
    • [2019-02-13] Clicking column header now also focuses the message/contact list underneath
    Security fix
    • [2019-02-13] Permanently disabled Java and ActiveX to avoid serious security vulnerabilities associated with them

16. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thanks Buddel!

PS:
    With respect to the localization files: as far as I can see, comparing the ReadMe files, the Slovenian version was added. ;)

(edit: spelling error fixed by me; sorry!)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  17. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Yes, Slovenian is the most recent addition. However, unlike Dutch, French, German etc., the other languages mentioned in the post above yours have only been supported for a comparatively short period of time. By the way, OE Classic currently supports 21 languages (including Dutch, of course).:)

18. Willy2

Willy2 Registered Member

- Facebook provides more details on what the new changes are. But there are computer users who hate Facebook. Too much bad publicity lately.

19. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Generally speaking, new features are mentioned here: https://www.oeclassic.com/news
    As far as Facebook is concerned, OE Classic uses this platform to tell users what some new features are all about, providing a bit of background knowledge, so to speak. There is no need to have a Facebook account (I don't have one, either). You can always go to the OE Classic Facebook page to find out what the OE Classic developers are currently working on without having an FB account.

20. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

OE Classic 2.9 Beta - updated 2019-02-18

New feature
    [2019-02-18] Security options (Advanced) to enable/disable scripting (JavaScript/VBScript) and ActiveX for incoming messages

21. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Some notes about this, if I'm allowed:

Comparing the ReadMe files from 13 Feb and 18 Feb, I see this change:
    The original one from 13 Feb says:
    [2019-02-13] Permanently disabled Java and ActiveX to avoid serious security vulnerabilities associated with them
    The new one from 18 Feb says:
    [2019-02-13] Disabled Java and ActiveX (by default) to avoid serious security vulnerabilities associated with them

Is it really disabled by default now? Could be, but I didn't see it disabled after todays update on my system. That option was enabled after todays update.

So, folks could better check it and disable it manually!
    See screenshot where to disable it (remove that checkmark).
    Tools > Options > Advanced

OEC_2019-02-18_01.png

22. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

It is probably now up to the users to decide whether or not they wish to enable scripting and/or ActiveX. I like it that way even though I will probably always leave both checkboxes disabled.

23. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

I agree with you, Buddel, dear old friend.
    It's good that folks have the choice, if that is what it was meant to be. But I was, let's say, confused (...), after I noticed that at least on my system after todays update the option for "Enabling scripting" was still enabled. Did you too notice it? Anyways, I wanted to let folks know about it so they could make their own choice.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  24. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Yes, I did notice it and the first thing I did was to disable this option.
    It was definitely a good idea to let all OE Classic users know about this new security option. Thanks, my friend.

25. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

Just taken from the OE Classic Facebook page:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.