OE Classic discussions and updates

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by FanJ, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Willy2

Willy2 Registered Member

- This message / advertisement is inserted / added into messages / emails in the FREE version of OEC. Users who have the "Paid for" version (like me) won't encounter / see that message at all.
    - As a user of the "Paid For" version I wouldn't mind to have an option (in the "Paid For" version) to let the user decide whether or not that message shows up /is inserted.
    - Is there a consistent pattern ? E.g. Does this message show up after the first say 1000 characters or say 100 / 200 / .... etc. words ? Does it show up multiple times in an email / message ? Does it always show up at the end of a message ?

2. 65Val

65Val Registered Member

Hi Willy....I usually don't write really long emails, so I'm not sure if it shows up multiple times. It seems to show up in the middle of a 4 or 5 line email.

3. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

OE Classic Pro 3.1 - updated 2020-06-02

New features
    [2020-05-25] Auto rearrange of attachment icons to fit available space, if Message Viewer or Message Editor are resized
    [2020-06-02] Improved UIDL handling (POP accounts) - resume from last aborted message, leave a copy on server after a user-defined period

Background info: https://www.facebook.com/oeclassic/

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  4. 65Val

65Val Registered Member

So, nobody has an answer to my question?...How do I get the OEClassic ad to stay at the bottom of my messages.....?

5. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

I've been using the Pro version for ages, so I cannot answer your question. Your best bet is to get in touch with the developers of OE Classic, either via the program itself or here: https://www.oeclassic.com/help

6. 65Val

65Val Registered Member

They don't give any support for the free version.

7. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

They do give support for the free version. Perhaps you won't get "first-class" support but your request will be dealt with. Just get in touch with them.

8. Willy2

Willy2 Registered Member

- I made a interesting discovery when it comes to the working of OEC. I had to "torture" the program because there are one or two things that "raised question marks".
    - In one instance I told OEC to remove all emails from the email server that were older than 1 day. But the program counts that in a different way.
    - Right now it's June 4, 2020 and the time is 20h:54m. The program didn't delete all emails from june 3, 2020 and before. It removed all emails that were older than 24 hours (= 1 day in the mind of OEC). So, only all emails with a date & time before june 3 2020 20h:54m were removed.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  9. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Hi Willy,
    Does todays update solve it?
    OE Classic Pro 3.1 - updated 2020-06-04

Compare those two lines in the changelog:
    [2020-06-02] Improved UIDL handling (POP accounts) - resume from last aborted message, leave a copy on server after a user-defined period
    [2020-06-04] Improved UIDL handling (POP accounts) - resume from last aborted message, leave a copy on server for a user-defined time period

10. 65Val

65Val Registered Member

Here's the "support" I got when I asked how to keep the message at the bottom of my outgoing emails...

"The free version offers no support. The support which I've already given you is a complimentary, meaning, you only get a small bit of it and that support has now been given. However, as you continue to request support - then we ask for a purchase so we can give you our full support instead. Best regards, Zvonko Tesic"

and....

"If you are interested in further support, we offer OE Classic Pro with full support. Do you want to purchase it to get full support for OE Classic so we can answer your questions? Best regards, Zvonko Tesic"

and....

"You can remove the advertisement by installing OE Classic Pro: 1) From program main menu click "Help" and then "Check For Updates" 2) Select one of the available paid versions 3) Enter the Name and License key into appropriate fields 4) Click "Update Now" button. The program will then download updated version and automatically run its installation file. The same method can be used to install future updates. Best regards, Zvonko Tesic".

Not the most helpful.

EDIT:...And now, my replies don't quote the original message, even though I have "Include message in Reply" checked.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  11. Willy2

Willy2 Registered Member

- New update OEC Pro v3.1.

[2020-06-05] Added possibility to stop the process when deleting POP messages
    [2020-06-05] When adding a new POP account, new defaults are to leave a copy of messages on server and to remove them after 14 days.

- This was the problem I came across. I had set one account to retain emails on the server for 180 days but when I ran the june 2, 2020 version the program for the first time, the program simply deleted ALL emails on the server.

@65Val:
    - Try the following. Copy & Paste a LARGE piece of text and send it to a friend and ask him/her to reply. see how the program behaves when it comes back. That could give an indication of how the program handles that OEC advertisment.

12. 65Val

65Val Registered Member

OK, here's an example... The line "Mace....Here's Ian's response...." was sent as all one line...the ad is jammed in the middle, and splits the line in 2...This happens all the time.

..and like I said, another problem that just started today...when I hit "reply", the original message is not quoted even though I have the "Quote message in Reply" checked in the options section.

I was using OE6 (RunAS XP) before and it worked great for a long time except lately it wouldn't open attachments...would just shut down. That is why I switched to OEClassic 3.0. Now it's giving me grief!

Attached Files:

13. Willy2

Willy2 Registered Member

- New update for OEC Pro v3.1:

[2020-06-06] IMAP fixes for unrecognized message lists (6 fixes)

14. 65Val

65Val Registered Member

Here's another example....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jeff...sorry for all the questions, but, when I go to the auction for this vacuum advance, then

---
    New Outlook Express and Windows Live Mail replacement - get it here:
    https://www.oeclassic.com/

go to "My Garage" and select 1966 Mustang 289, it says it doesn't fit my car. I see the description says it will fit. Can you confirm it will fit my 1966 Mustang 289, 2bbl carb? Thanks.

Original Message:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any ideas guys?

15. Willy2

Willy2 Registered Member

16. Willy2

Willy2 Registered Member

- New update for OE Classic PRO v3.1:

[2020-06-10] CTRL+V (Paste) in the Message Editor now also works for pictures on the clipboard.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  17. 65Val

65Val Registered Member

Thanks Willy....I don't so much want to get rid of it...I'd settle for it at the bottom of the message instead of in the middle.

18. Willy2

Willy2 Registered Member

- Perhaps I can replicate this "ad problem" with the PRO version. (No, no details).
    - Is this ad also added (again) for a second time when you reply to the original mesage and include the origrnal message(s) as well ?
    - Start fiddling around and try to find a reliable pattern. Is the ad added after the say 3rd line, after say 40 words or added after say 400 characters (use your imagination). Perhaps then you can come up with a method to make the ad less annoying. Otherwise I don't see any way to make the ad less "intrusive / annoying". Sorry !!!

19. Willy2

Willy2 Registered Member

@65Val:
    - I have been tinkering with the FREE version of OEC. And I was able to see how the FREE version differs from the PAID FOR version. Very interesting.
    - When an email has less than say 17 (15 ??) lines then the ad will be placed at the end of the email. Otherwise the ad will be place at the beginning or close to the beginning of the email.
    - And no, I coulnd't find anything that will put the ad always at the end of the email.

20. 65Val

65Val Registered Member

Good stuff Willy...that's my problem...how to keep the ad at the bottom no matter what length email I send...I'm not opposed to having the ad...I guess they have to make some money on the free program somehow, since I'm not paying for it. I would think Zvonko would be able to make this happen...maybe not enough free users have complained. Thanks for investing time into my problem, and proving I'm not crazy! :)

21. Willy2

Willy2 Registered Member

22. Willy2

Willy2 Registered Member

- The following texts were taken from the OE Classic's Facebook page:

"If you use Mail for Windows 10 as a "backup" to OE Classic, be careful! If you use it in combination with Gmail, the latest update of Windows 10 can cause this application to randomly delete messages from various Gmail folders. OE Classic of course has no such issues. If you're interested in more of the issues with Windows 10 May update - we wrote a bit on that on our blog.
    https://www.infobyte.hr/blog/642/windows-10-may-2020-update-v2004-is-a-disaster/"

"Gmail should be Griefmail, it periodically stops OE Classic from collecting my mail so goodbye to the problem.
    GMX.com and Outlook.com are superior to Gmail and have never caused a fault with OE Classic collecting mail."

-The reply to the comment above was this:
    "It is true that Gmail quality of service has dropped in the recent years. But still beats Yahoo mail (also used by ATT and Frontier as well as some others) which is one of the least reliable servers we know of (also a frequent cause of tech support questions)."

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  23. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Update 6 July 2020

New:
    [2020-07-06] Improved mouse selection in Message Editor (enabling of Cut/Copy/Paste buttons)

Fix:
    [2020-06-14] Fix for Polish N acute accent not working on ALT + N

24. Willy2

Willy2 Registered Member

- Users of the july 2020 version of OEC PRO should remove this version and go back to the june 10, 2020 version. There is a MAJOR annoying bug that shows up when the user is writing an email. The same bug shows up in a slightly different way in each language.
    - I assume the developers are aware of this bug because the last available version for download is that june 10, 2020 version. The july 2020 version has been removed.
    - Re-installing the previous version is very simple. Remove all files from "C:\Program files (x86)\OEClassic", download & install the latest available version.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
  25. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Thanks @Willy2 for the heads-up!
    As the developers are aware of it, I guess a newer (beta) Pro version will come to fix it...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.