Odd WMP plug-in behaviour in Firefox

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Sep 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Hurrah! I have discovered the culprit. :)

As I was trying to run WMP in SeaMonkey on this site I noticed that I got a message at the top of the pop-out about a VLC plug-in crash. I uninstalled VLC, resetting cache files/preferences then re-installed without checking the Firefox plug-in box.

Problem solved. :cool:

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Glad you found out what happened Dave :thumb: I'd stay away from the VLC plugin, it hasn't been updated in years and has a still unsolved remote vulnerability.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yes, this had been bugging me for a while. I just couldn't understand why it didn't affect my desktop PC. Then I remembered that I deliberately didn't check the VLC plug-in for Firefox box when I installed VLC on it (but did for the notebook, although I don't know why). Considering the security concerns with VLC's plug-in at the moment I consider it a tad serendipitous.

I am always a bit suspect about plug-ins that I don't really need. Around three years ago I couldn't understand why SeaMonkey was crashing so much, then someone on the MozillaZine forums asked me if I had an older version of the Yahoo! Messenger installed. After uninstalling the messenger & its troublesome plug-in SM was fine.

Plug-ins eh? You can't live with 'em ... you can't live without 'em. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.