Odd unnamed updates in Windows10-1703 reliability and events log

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by act8192, Aug 27, 2017.

1. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Is Microsoft now hiding what they're updating? See attached reliability screenie.
    In the event log the same designations. So what's going on? Why can't I see app names?
    I can't even copy the lines in reliability monitor.
    I don't use any of M$ apps, but I suppose that's OT.
    2017-08-27_12-49-01-NoNameApps.jpg

2. act8192

I extracted these 4 strings from event log:
    Application:9WZDNCRD2G0J-Submission:1152921504626905280 --- Sway
    Application:9WZDNCRFJ364-Submission:1152921504626901723 --- Skype or Skype preview
    Application:9WZDNCRFJ3P2-Submission:1152921504626904505 --- Film and TV (in German & French MS store)
    Application:9WZDNCRFJBMP-Submission:1152921504626914423 --- Windows Store (in French)
    Google indicated they're related to the apps I listed after "---"
    What on earth is all that for? Will we always now have to go through hoops to find out what's going on?
    I don't even ask why.
    Heading back to boot in Windows 7 I guess is my only solution to remain sane.

3. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

4. act8192

Bo, thank you so much. That tip is helpful once you know it's Store related (how was I to know?). But any idea if I must use Store or have Microsoft account? I have neither. Your link works from the browser so at least that's good.
    It's still goofy when they don't identify application in the old way, isn't it? Is this what we're heading into?
    Finally, other than heading into event viewer to gather that serial, how on earth we're to extract the funny name since Reliability doesn't allow it?

5. bo elam

Me neither, I don't use the Store or Microsoft accounts. This is how I handle the Store. I uninstalled every application that Microsoft provides an uninstaller for. And left the rest as is. I dont want to use 3rd party programs, the registry or Power shell to uninstall apps that dont come with an uninstaller.

For Store apps, I disabled the function to automatically update. So, every 10 days or so, I update them manually just to keep them working properly, even though I ll never gonna use them.

There is a Setting in Settings>Personalization>Start that you can disable that stops new Store applications from installing without your knowledge. The first few days I had W10, it seemed like everytime I uninstalled an app, something new showed up in Start. That setting putted an end to that.

I had not updated Store apps for a few days and opened Store a few minutes ago, before posting. There were 5 apps that showed up with a pending update. One was Movies & TV (Peliculas y TV). I updated it to see what appears in the Reliability monitor afterward, and it shows same no name app with same number as the one you got.

So, this is just the way this is working. I think those no name updates are 100% related to the Store. Perhaps you ll like to disable Store apps from automatically updating. And do them manually like I am doing them. You ll find the setting to disable automatic updates in Store settings. Its a good way for keeping track of them.

1.jpg

Bo

6. act8192

Thank you so much, Bo, you're now in my book of heroes.
    I will do what you suggest, but need to find store (I think I see it under S), find out what has/or not and uninstaller -- yikes. I'm reading some tutorials on tenforums. Then and only then I can meddle with those update settings. I should've uninstalled junk months ago, just never got to it.

7. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

For those that want to uninstall the 'other' applications, CCleaner does a decent job.

8. bo elam

Glad to help, act8192. Yes, you ll find the Store under S. There for now , you should only disable automatic updates. When you ll open Store, click the icon next to the down arrow and select Settings. There you ll find the switch for disabling apps from updating automatically.

Sin título.jpg

The apps you want to uninstall can be found in Start menu and are not within the Store app itself, each app is separate, like for example, if you go to C, since you never uninstalled any, you gonna find something called Candy crush there. Even if we used the Store, its highly unlikely you or I would ever use something like that. To uninstall it, right click it and select uninstall. You can also uninstall apps via Settings>Applications>Apps & features.

Bo

9. act8192

First trip to the Store and I survived :) and I think I did most of the homework except for (1) below
    (1) In post 5 you said - "There is a Setting in Settings>Personalization>Start that you can disable that stops new Store applications from installing without your knowledge."
    I cannot find this in Start. I do have in Advanced update settings checked Give me updates for other Microsoft products which I suppose is for Office 2007. But can't find specific line for App updates.
    (2) Store settings approach is different here - see screenie below- just 3 dots on the right took me to Settings.
    I turned off Update apps automatically. Underneath it is 'Live Tile - Show products on tile'. I unchecked that as well, but what is that about? And do I really have to have those tiles when I click Start?
    (3) I uninstalled about a dozen things using Settings>Applications>Apps & features from your post 8 suggestion. There are few I'm not sure about, will google.
    Now I see how it worked - it was not right click, but a normal click. Then they pop a menu what can be done (uninstall, modify) and if Uninstall is shaded it has to stay. Unshaded can be zapped. Sure is simple. I didn't know that. I didn't know any of it.
    2017-08-28_22-12-06-StoreSettings.jpg
    2017-08-28_22-32-42-StoreSettings2.jpg
    Bo, Many thanks again :)

Edit: Bo, This is for one user, me, limited. I also have admin user - should I repeat those steps?
    Like you, I did not want to mess with registry or powershell or gpedit.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  10. bo elam

:D
    Disabling this settings maintains your Start menu as you set it up. Otherwise, advertisement and new tiles appear in Start menu without your approval or knowledge. Disabling the settings tells Microsoft you don't want any of it. So, you have to find this setting.

Go to Settings>Personalization>Start, and disable "Occasionally show suggestions in Start".
    Your Store settings look different than mine because either we are using different versions of the Store. or different versions of W10. I am in 1703, you might be using 1607.

Live tiles? Are flashing tiles that have live content, like for news, sports, weather. Personally, I don't use that stuff. To me, is annoying.

You ask, "do I really have to have those tiles when I click Start?."
    If you dont want them, you can get rid of them all and have an Start menu that resembles in some ways the one we have in W7.. To do this, first you have to unpin every tile in the Start menu. Afterward, if you are using version 1703 Creators, the Start menu shrinks automatically after you unpin the last one and close and reopen the menu, and looks like in the screen below. In version 1607, after you unpin all the tiles, you drag and pull the menu to the left.

Start screen1.jpg

In Settings>Personalization>Start, you ll find settings for you to customize the Start menu.. At the bottom of the window, click "Choose which folders appear on Start". There are some folders there you might want to add. If you add any, they ll appear all the way to the left.

This is how I am using my Start menu.

Start.jpg

Basically what I am doing is having All apps in the middle column, eliminated the other stuff that comes there by default, the left column is as it comes by default and what I did with the tiles to the right is I got rid of all the Store tiles and pinned to Start the folders or functions I use the most. What I am pinning to start in W10 is basically the same I pinned in XP and W7. For me, for all practical purposes the Start menu in W10 works the same as in my W7. Looks different but doesn't bother me.

To take advantage of the Start menu in W10, you have to pin what you use the most. The tiles become shortcuts. Instead of being a pain, you can use them as a vehicle to make things be more convenient for you.
    Yes, be glad you got rid of all that stuff that you wont use for nothing. You probably using version 1607 because while you click to uninstall apps, I have to right click the app.

I am using an administrator account, I am not familiar with user account, but I think I read you must do the steps in every account.

act8192, in case you don't know, look again at the pictures of my Start menu, clicking the third icon in the extreme left from bottom up, that ll bring you to Settings. I mention it because you could not find Settings yesterday when I posted instructions on how to get rid of suggestions appearing in Start.

Enjoy it, act8192

Bo

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  11. act8192

I'm on windowsPro-1703, and everything seems in order for limited user (me). Perhaps M$ pushes slightly different versions in different countries. CCleaner reports Store version is 11707.1001.23.0.
    Yes (unless use gpedit or registry from tenforums to do for all users).
    Admin user all done - I repeated the same steps as before. Few puzzling things just in admin account -
    - Admin user still has strange tiles: Flipboard and iHeart Radio. But no path when I right-click those tiles and not in Apps&Fearures uninstall list. Possibly leftover from their suggestions? I can drag'm off, but still would like to know where they came from.
    - Admin user also has two apps which I uninstalled: Skype and Candy Crash listed in the Store updates. Same thing after restart. Not sure how to get rid of them.
    Aha, misunderstanding - In post 5 you said "...you can disable that stops new Store applications from installing without your knowledge" so I was looking for installations :(
    I do have suggestions turned off.
    I love your tile management. Thank you for the idea. That'll be nice, clean and useful :)

12. bo elam

I just checked, my Store version is 11707.1001.26.0. We are using different versions, probably the reason why they look different.

This is what I would try with Skype and Candy crush. If they are listed for updates within the Store, I would do the updates. And after a reboot, look for them again and click their uninstaller. Also, look for them (just in case) in Control panel>Programs. This programs were easy to uninstall.

Flipboard and iHeart Radio. I am pretty sure I had the iHeart Radio thing, not sure about the other one but very likely I did. Some of the suggestions are only suggestions, not yet installed. So, if you can unpin them from the Start menu and they don't appear anywhere in the lists of installed apps, its very likely they are not installed. If this is your case, I would unpin this 2 apps and forget about them.

Yes, I made my Start menu useful, I open it as often as in W7 and XP and for same reasons.

Edit: A little while ago I updated Store, it moved my version from 11707.1001.26.0 to 11707.1001.23.0. The version number moved downward. Now we are using same version and my Store looks similar to yours

Bo

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  13. act8192

Admin user is all cleaned up thanks to your tremendous help :)
    I clicked to update and the stupid Store wanted to install both. Gave up. I found a solution though - clean the cache by running WSReset.exe (tenforums). Even without restart both vanished from the update list. And gone after restart as well.
    Done and forgotten.
    Bo, this is pretty funny. If versions go backwards, perhaps we'll get back to XP in the future.

14. bo elam

I also thought this was kind of funny. :)

Bo

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.