Obama sanctioned Stuxnet

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by tej, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tej

tej Registered Member

2. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

The NYTimes requires a login to view, please provide links that readers can read :)

This has been cited

3. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

4. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

Same here.

5. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

This has been known for a long time. I don't think anyone really needed confirmation.

6. siljaline

Perhaps it's my per-site cookie permissions. All news aggregator sites set cookies, I'd sooner not accept them and move on to a site that doesn't require datamining to read something, but, that's just me.

7. Hungry Man

I think NYTimes only allows 10 sites for non-paying users so they likely count that through cookies.

8. siljaline

Many news and Tech sites are just breaking this now, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here ... et alia ... If it's OK by you, we'll continue discussing this breaking event :ouch:

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Nothing new here, it's been known for some time now. It's both more politically and physically effective than bombing the facilities. Bomb them, and you run the quite high risk of upsetting key Arab nations, a select few allies, and off and on allies with lots of veto power at the UN. It also would immediately draw the U.S into another war, when it's already stretched too thin in two theaters.

Also, the major facilities are still relatively unknown. We have some general ideas about depth, defenses, etc, but not enough to clearly know whether bombing them would truly destroy them. Cyber attacks don't carry the risk of physical retaliation (Iran is run by imbeciles, but they aren't so stupid as to declare war or even attack major U.S or Israeli military installations over a cyber attack. Their own allies would revolt, and the Arab nations that surround them are increasingly tired of Iranian mischief as well).

These attacks aren't really meant to stop nuclear weapon development anyway, it's more of a wearing them down move to go along with the increasing sanctions. Less physical and political risk in a very sensitive area of the world.

10. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I think what he means, and I agree, is that those who have been paying attention or are in the intelligence community have already known this for some time. It's only breaking news to the media.

11. Seer

Seer Registered Member

How do you know that? You know members of Iranian government personally, or you just repeat what they've been feeding you on the TV?
    I think this thread should be closed now. Political topics are not allowed here afaik.

12. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

:rolleyes: Oh for God sake, I'll delete that part, alright? Anyway, I've done enough work to know enough about them, and I'll leave it there.

Edit: Actually, no I won't delete it. The mods can. I say what I say and stand by it.

13. Hungry Man

lol this is nearly word for word what I was going to reply with.

14. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Then you know Iran is an independent and sovereign country. No one is bombing "other side" for producing nuclear weapons, right?
    I just had enough of all these World Police stuff.

15. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

So have I, frankly I'm sick of world police, saving everybody, etc, and I'm a U.S citizen. And no, no one is bombing anyone yet, yet being an operative word here. Let's take this to PM though if you wish to continue, I really don't want the thread shut down.

16. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Guilty as charged :p

17. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Just a reminder, Wilders is not a political discussion forum. Plenty of political forums out there though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.