Nvidia GeForce GTX 745 acting weirdly

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Rasheed187, May 22, 2017.

1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

It seems that lately whenever I watch videos on YouTube (not full-screen), the Nvidia GPU gets hot quite quickly. I monitor this via SpeedFan and MSI Afterburner, and I also noticed it's because clock-speed gets higher. It goes from 135 Mhz to 1032 Mhz, for no good reason. I can't remember if this was always the case, but is this normal, or is something not right?

2. Rasheed187

Attached Files:

• MSI.png
      MSI.png
      File size:
      353.6 KB
      Views:
  3. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Does this happen DURING/MID video ??

Base clock on OEM GTX 745 is 1033 -- don't see an issue unless it's happening mid-video for no good reason.

745 can handle that temp easily - NP - nowhere near max (95C).

Why this? Use Afterburner "on demand to cool my GPU?" You have an alarm trigger set or sumthin like that? Or you just let Afterburner control the fan? Dunno what you mean by "on demand."

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  4. Rasheed187

The strange thing is it happens even when browser tab are not active, so YouTube videos are running in the background. And why would the GPU need to change gears even for videos that are not displayed in HD? And it also doesn't seem to happen that often when I play videos in Media Player Classic.

I mean that normally speaking I only run MSI Afterburner if I'm playing video-games. This means that normally my GPU fans are not auto controlled, which is risky in case temp rises. You would think that the GPU was able to control fan-speed itself, but apparently it can't. On my old HP desktop I used SpeedFan, but it doesn't seem to recognize the Nvidia GPU.

5. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Is it your Acer Predator that you are still using that this gtx 745 is running on?

hawki ran Predators for several years - huge bang for the buck - went through two of them. To me, one of the main draws of The Predators were their power supplies - then 500W, which was unusual then for an OEM. Predators screamed out for a GPU upgrade -- maybe it's time. Can get a huge increased performing card over the 745 for not a lot of $$. Might be the easiest solution, but if you don't game much, not cost effective.

The Predator 3-605 I8811 NL, if that's what you rstill using, is a high - spec rig and really deserves a better card than the 745. Frankly, my hunch is that Acer put it in there as a place-holder to keep initial sale price down, anticipating that enthusiasts would upgrade the card eventually.

Have you thoroughly dusted the card/fan recently?

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  6. Rasheed187

Yes, it's still the Acer Predator, and it might indeed be a good idea to replace the GPU, because I'm planning to play the newest games. I just saw they now sell new Acer desktops with top quality GPU's for a reasonable price. And I haven't cleaned my PC in two years, so perhaps it's time.

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/models/desktops/aspiregx

7. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Those are nuthin :) You can see even MUCH higher spec'd Predators on Amazon at reasonable, mid-gaming rig prices. But your Predator, if it is a Predator 3-605 I8811 NL, is an excellent specd rig, and a GPU upgrade would likely be more than sufficient for playing the newest games (unless you are using a 4K monitor) ,perhaps not at highest quality settings for some, but certanly adequate.

One note of caution: The Predator cases have lots of space for a GPU measured length and height (and also have several available connectors from the PSU). BUT, you need to make certain that there is nothing rising from the electronics board underneath where the card will sit that will prevent the card from sitting properly. hawki was unable to install a GTX 970 in a Predator AG3-605-UR1H (where a GTX 760 had been installed OEM) for this reason. Best to buy your card at a source that will take it back w/o a restocking fee if it does not fit. I had purchased mine at a Best Buy, a large chain of brick and mortar stores in The US, and they took it back for a full refund.

Last edited: May 27, 2017
  8. Rasheed187

In Holland you will pay quite a lot for machines with higher specs, but those Acer Aspire's are fast enough for me. That's why I'm probably going to buy the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060. Too bad that they didn't offer the 256GB SSD two years ago.

Thanks for the heads up. And BTW, I definitely think something is wrong, it shouldn't need to use this much CPU power just to process a low res YouTube video. Just to be safe, I will let MSI Afterburner run constantly. Perhaps I will also update the driver.

9. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Yeah :) First place to start.

A 1060 will be a HUGE improvement over your 745

GTX 745 Pass Mark Benchmark = 2169

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce GTX 745

GTX 1060 Pass Mark Benchmark = 8721

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu.php?gpu=GeForce GTX 1060

The 1060 is 9.823 " long vs. the 745 which is 5.7 " long. You MUST make certain that there is nothing protruding from the circuit board underneath that extra 4" of terrritory that would prevent the 1060 from fully sitting into the PCI slot.

The 1060 is an excellent choice.

10. Rasheed187

Yes, it will allow me to play the newest games. But it's really weird, I noticed that even when fan-speed goes up, the temp barely lowers, so something is definitely up. BTW, I'm also thinking about buying the Acer Nitro 5 laptop, for playing video-games in the bed and living room. It will probably cost a 1000 bucks, not that bad.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3192...top-that-lets-casual-gamers-get-reckless.html

11. hawki

hawki Registered Member

Can you actually hear the fan blowing at high speeds??

Nitro 5 looks Sweet :) Acer really excels at giving a lot for the $$

hawki does not bring his computer gaming to bed -- he just does not sleep o_O

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  12. Rasheed187

I have just checked it, I can indeed hear them, so that's a good thing. Temp never seems to go above 50 degrees, so I guess I'm not at risk that much. But perhaps it's indeed the dust, will soon try cleaning it.

13. hawki

hawki Registered Member

FYI:

"Acer's new Aspire desktop targets PC gamers with AMD's Ryzen 5 CPU, GeForce GPU

Just ahead of the E3 2017 gaming convention in Los Angeles, Acer introduced a new affordable desktop for PC gamers, the Aspire GX-281. Currently, it’s served up in several configurations starting at $800, packing AMD’s new Ryzen 5 1400 processor, and Nvidia’s GeForce GTX 1050 and GTX 1050 Ti graphics cards. There are slight differences in the configurations to meet the needs of all PC gamers on a tight budget, such as a secondary SSD with 256GB of storage..."

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/acer-aspire-gx-281-ryzen-geforce-desktop/

14. Rasheed187

Yes, it seems like the Aspire line is going to replace the Predators. Will think about buying one in the coming years. I like to make the switch to AMD, because of the security concerns over the Intel CPU. But I'm also going to remove Win 10 and replace it with Win 8, because I consider it to be spyware.

15. hawki

hawki Registered Member

The Aspires have just upped their game -- no way will they eliminate The Predator line -- perhaps the lowest segment of the lower end, but that's all.

16. Rasheed187

Then I misunderstood. Seems they have stopped selling the old Predator line over here in Holland, but they are still selling the new ones, you know with the quite ugly design. I also noticed that prices have suddenly risen for the Aspire's, not sure what's going on.

17. Rasheed187

Seems like ASUS has released the ultimate gaming laptop, not sure what to think about the keyboard and way too expensive. BTW, can you check if your GPU heats up on the second site, after a few minutes? It's a site about a new housing project in Amsterdam.

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-ZEPHYRUS-GX501/
    http://www.nieuwbouw-switi.nl/

18. hawki

hawki Registered Member

IMHO "gaming laptop" is an oxymoron.

19. Rasheed187

What about the site, did you check that? I wonder if it's normal for a GPU to heat up, it also happens often on Google Maps. But perhaps I'm expecting too much from the GTX 745. BTW, I'm thinking about buying this laptop, is the NVIDIA GeForce 940MX good enough?

https://www.laptopshop.nl/product/784323/hp-pavilion-thinbook-14-bf015nd.html

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.