nVidia FBI Backdoor - What The Hell?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Hungry Man, Jun 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

There's been this .zip going around the net with people saying it's an FBI backdoor for nvidia or something.

https://insanitybit.wordpress.com/2012/06/02/nvidia-fbi-backdoor-what-the-hell-5/

I read some of the code and .txt files and it became pretty apparent that it's just a program for cracking RSA. Maybe that's the trojan or something but nothing about this looks like a backdoor - nothing in the code suggests this to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2012
  2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

another of those self perpetuating topics where it matter not how many times somebody finds nothing of substance in the claim

3. Hungry Man

I can't edit my first post (there are no links to any of the files in my blog post fyi) but here's the summary I've added to save you the trip. If you want to read me typing out as I go through code/ .txt files feel free to go do so, but here's the meat.

Possibly. It actually looks like someone is outright trying to stir something up with the way they're trying to get it spread around.

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

The increased effort and interest of governments world-wide to keep better tabs on online activities will only further fuel claims like this. Is interest in placing backdoors/tapping mechanisms in very popular programs there? Oh yes, very much so. It however is not happening right now as far as I understand it. The NSA is more interested in overall data collection, which is why they are tending to stick to plugging into ISPs instead of trying to rootkit individual users, and also building the new complex to work on breaking popular encryption methods (a facility that still impresses the hell out of me even with the very few snippets of information publicly available).

The FBI is more likely to try such methods as you are hearing, but, time and time again they've also had it blow up in their faces more than succeed at it. While there is plenty to be worried about in regards to government actions, this particular instance is just another one of those "sinister plot" stories the internet is awful good about spreading.

5. Hungry Man

I think it's just that someone out there (maybe the FBI) created this RSA Encryption cracking program and it makes use of nVidia. Someone the guy who posted it decided to say "FBI has a backdoor in nVidia" because he's a moron.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Who knows, the internet hasn't yet come up with an idiot-blocker, so we're stuck with them, lol.

7. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Without seeing any of the code, it's hard to even guess. I would wonder if that code is just part of a program for brute forcing/cracking encryption that's been optimized to use NVidia card GPUs?

8. Hungry Man

I'm not some programming genius or anything but I can read C and that's all it looked like to me. Without even reading the .txt files it was evident in the code.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.