Nutshell Imaging drive replacement on HP laptop

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by emtownsend, Aug 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emtownsend

emtownsend Registered Member

In a nutshell, what are the steps I need to take to clone a "C" drive from my HP L2005 (new Lance Armstrong dohicky Special Edition) laptop to a new "C" drive for use in that same laptop?

I am basically trying to go from a 4200RPM 100GB drive to a 5400RPM 100GB drive, that is all. The new drive is in a USB enclosure.

I tried using the Clone tool (leaving the original unchanged) but on reboot I received an error and had to restart. Is this due to a hidden partition?

Also, I had marked the new USB drive as "Active", but I am changing that to be partitioned NTFS only and not marked "Active" (but it is still a "primary").

Lastly, this is with Acronis True Imager version 8 build 903 (TRIAL).
    Thank you,
    Eric

2. Confusus

Confusus Guest

Just a note tried to do the same with my new ze2000z, 40gig to 60 gig, booted with registered CD , NO luck found the usb drive image to restore but could not write to the new 60gig drive, no options seen

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello emtownsend,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please note, that there are two approaches available:
    Disk Clone - moves the entire contents of one disk drive to another.
    Create Image - creates a special archive file for backup and disaster recovery purposes.
    Please read: http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/faq.html#9c

This means that you can achieve your goals in two ways:

1. Clone your original hard drive to a new one connecting your new hard drive through the USB enclosure, for example.

Please be aware that you should unplug the original hard drive after the disk cloning process is finished, because two identical operating systems can cause boot problems.

When the disk cloning process finishes your PC will be turned off automatically in order to give you an opportunity to unplug the source drive and install the newly cloned drive in place of the source disk.

2. Create an image of the source hard drive saving it on any type of the supported removable media, unplug the old hard drive, install the new disk in your laptop, boot your PC from the special Bootable Rescue CD and then restore an image to the new hard drive.

Please also note that the special hidden partition should not affect the disk cloning or disk imaging processes in any way.

I advice you to read other forum threads in order to get more information on your issues.

You can also find more information on how to use Acronis True Image 8.0 in the respective User's Guide which is available at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/download/docs/

In case you will be satisfied with the work of the trial version of Acronis True Image 8.0, please visit Acronis online store at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/sales/online/ to purchase the product.

Please also note that we have a flexible system of discounts and the amount of the discount varies depending on the number of copies you want to purchase.

In case you are planning to purchase many copies, please contact our Sales Team at sales@acronis.com.

Please try to perform the desired actions following all the instructions and see if the problem still persists.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Confusus,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please clarify what exactly do you mean when saying that there are "no options seen"?

Let me know if you have received any error messages.

Please also describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.