ntlworld email worm ? not sure

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by RoscoLabri, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RoscoLabri

RoscoLabri Guest

Hello all, I've just got rid of a browser hijack the mk@ C:\windows\start.chm (thx to Thanks Pieter for helping) or so I think anyways hehe, it may pop up tomorrow or something...here is hoping it doesn't.

Anyways, I also have a problem with a certain email I keep getting every day. It is bascially an email about Pharmacy drugs/medications and such. Now to my knowledge I have never visited or signed up for any such things to be delivered to my inbox, so I was wondering if someone could help.

The email comes from a different person each time so blocking it would be pointless, and under the CC: part there is a whole lot of @ntlworld.com email addresses that are very similar to my own ntlworld one, so maybe they are going through the ntl email database or something.

Is this a known problem or am I the only one experiancing it.

Not even sure this is in the right forum, apologies if it isn't :p

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hello, could my tip in this thread help somewhat?
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=28411
    Opening emails validates your address so try to avoid the senders tracking you.
    I don't study those headers at the moment, just an unseen delete so let's see if this decreases the amount of spam after a while.
    For a few others it helped already, so fingers crossed more will stay away.

3. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

they are going through NTLworld

using random names @ntlworld
    I get hundreds and I have never published the ntlworld address that they come in on and it has only ever been used to send emails to family on ntlworld

4. RoscoLabri

RoscoLabri Guest

I'll give it a try jooske but I think it may be abit harder to rid off then that.

dvk01, are you getting this same problem aswell ? Most of the Pharmacy emails have the subject: Xanax Home Delivery.

Maybe the guys at ntlworld could sort this out...however I would rather try to find a definite solution first before asking for their help :)

5. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

It is hard to fight yes, my tip is some help, not the ultimate solution as the valid email accounts are most probably in no time in many databases all over.
    But better doing something then nothing.
    I'll try to remember a next spamload to check the full headers for you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.