NTLDR Missing

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Blackspear, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Blackspear,

This is really strange since you say you have restored the image previously and everything worked Ok. I will contact our Development Team concerning this problem and then let you know the result of the investigation via e-mail.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

No, this was a FRESH install with this NEW motherboard, so I haven't restored any images using this motherboard that has 3 IDE channels.

All previous images and restores worked perfectly with various motherboards that had the standard 2 IDE channels.

Cheers :D

3. Acronis Support

Hello Blackspear,

Could you confirm that you have never restored the image under consideration before? So it never worked after restoration?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

4. Blackspear

Correct.

New motherboard with 3 IDE channels
    New install of Windows
    New Image(s)

1st attempt to restore 3rd image FAILED.
    2nd to 7th attempt to restore 3rd image, FAILED.
    8th attempt to restore 1st image, FAILED
    9th attempt to restore 3rd image and change boot.ini from partition 2 to 1 and copy 3 files across to C Drive, FAILED.

I have NEVER tried imaging with this motherboard before, this is my 1st and only experience with this board.

5. Acronis Support

Hello Blackspear,

Thank you for the perfect explanation.

I need to contact our Development Team concerning this case. It would be helpful of you to send a letter with the full model name of your motherboard in reply to my last e-mail. It will allow me to contact our Testing Lab as well for the probably known issue and solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. Blackspear

Email on its way.

7. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Blackspear

Your say it is a new system, as made me think it could be hardware related, bad memory can cause your NTLDR problem, try running a memory test. [The longer the test time the better.]

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

8. Blackspear

Well the outcome was a bad install of Windows using a RAID Motherboard that boots off the 2nd IDE channel, as the tech had installed Windows on the first channel (because it would not boot any other way, and is standard practice to boot from IDE 1) and then swapped the drive to the 2nd channel after Windows finished its install. The boot.ini file, ntldr and NTDETECT.COM are installed on the 2nd partition with this particular Motherboard. So when an image is made of the 1st partition these 3 files are missing (can be found on the 2nd partition).

So I have ended up doing a Fresh install of Windows, used a floppy with RAID drivers (after a call to the Motherboards distributor) and now everything is correct, and images should be back to working very nicely, will do some checking over the next week or so.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.