NSA has direct access to tech giants' systems for user data, secret files reveal

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Dermot7, Jun 6, 2013.

1. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

2. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

I skimmed through that document I will read it properly later but you wanna know what really makes me mad? This current trend of citing isolated cases as proof of necessity. I don't know that proof of necessity is the most accurate description, you may have a better way to describe it.
    Why do we put up with this crap ?
    A man committed a crime but due to lack of evidence he could only be prosecuted for a misdemeanor offense of course had law enforcement been allowed to invade his bedroom and place hidden surveillance technology in his wifes crotch they could have got more evidence and laid more serious charges on him, therefore obviously we need to allow the cops to invade everyones bedroom and place surveillance technology in everyones wife.
    OK that was a rant but you see my point. They do that all the time. There should be a name for it.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  3. Justintime123

Justintime123 Registered Member

Russia and China 'broke into Snowden files to identify British and US spies'
    James Tapper Saturday 13 June 2015 20.02 EDT

Sunday Times says Downing Street believes both nations have hacked into American whistleblower’s files, and that agents have been put in peril. Downing Street believes that Russian and Chinese intelligence agencies have used documents from whistleblower Edward Snowden to identify British and US secret agents, according to a report in the Sunday Times.

The newspaper says MI6, Britain’s Secret Intelligence Service, has withdrawn agents from overseas operations because Russian security services had broken into encrypted files held by American computer analyst Snowden.
    Snowden provided the Guardian with top secret documents from the US National Security Agency (NSA), which revealed that western intelligence agencies had been undertaking mass surveillance of phone and internet use.

-

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

This sounds like FUD. Whenever the Five Eyes get pwned, they can just blame Snowden. Also, the NSA does SIGINT, not HUMINT, so there shouldn't be an issue about "secret agents". And one would hope that M16 was prudent enough to keep secret agents' names out of information shared with the NSA.

5. wshrugged

wshrugged Registered Member

6. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Actually, I'm amazed Snowden is still alive.

7. Dermot7

Dermot7 Registered Member

By Glenn Greenwald
    Sunday Times Snowden Story is Journalism at its Worst

8. quietman

quietman Registered Member

Not me .... not surprised one little bit.

The man is clearly a serious player , world class , and I'm sure he had planned his exit strategy(s) LONG before he

first contacted Greenwald.

9. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

Hmm broken in to files?

I doubt snowden would have used a weak password so i wonder if this is FUD from MI five or a flaw in the encryption protocol that has been found.

10. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Killing him now would be pointless. He doesn't have the files and they know it. If they killed him and the material keeps coming, they destroy their own argument. As long as he's alive, they can keep fabricating more accusations.

11. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I was OK until I read 'Shami Chakrabarti, director of Liberty, said: ' then my brain clicked in and I realised I was reading The Guardian. As Kurt Vonnegut said 'And so it goes ... '.

12. mirimir

13. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I am surprised Glenn Greenwald isn't dead. I think he is more vulnerable than Snowden.

14. Dermot7

15. Dermot7

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/06/22/nsa-gchq-targeted-kaspersky/

16. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well, that's nothing unusual, malware writers do it all the time. But if governments achieve that by extorting data from developers, then that's ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ up.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2015
  17. Justintime123

China and Russia Almost Definitely Have the Snowden Docs
    Wired Bruce Schneier

-

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2015
  18. hawki

hawki Registered Member

19. mirimir

20. LunarWolf

LunarWolf Registered Member

Well you know you are No#1 and on to something when people start attacking you.

21. Justintime123

NSA spied on French presidents - WikiLeaks
    Reuters via MSN
    -

22. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

So, we are asked to believe evidence-free anonymous (unaccountable) officials working for a government desperate to pass a snoopers charter plus, from an organisation that has clearly lied and operated illegally and in secret, with secret "laws".

And also - how many impossible things are we being asked for here? - that venially motivated people with at least Snowden's access to information, have already supplied the information to the Russians and Chinese for money or ideology, many times, over many years. Exactly what's happened in the past.

My take - there are 100s of the venially motivated to every one Snowden, and the Russians and Chinese already knew all the information in the Snowden data and more. The population of the countries involved sadly not.

What I'd like IS some more of the names of the senior officials who approved these illegal and unconstitutional activities so that they can be brought to trial.

23. mirimir

24. Dermot7

https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015/07/01/nsas-google-worlds-private-communications/

25. Dermot7

A Look at the Inner Workings of NSA's XKEYSCORE - The Intercept

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.