Now What ?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by TouchuvGrey, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Steve,

I don't think that this is KAV's objectives. I think KAV is attempting to respond to their users' desires (these may be very big and important users) to be alerted to certain types of "riskware" software. I think where KAV fails, in this respect, is taking into account the reaction of other types of users, who do not understand the definition of riskware. This can be easily remedied by better alert messages and links to help files, that would thoroughly explain these alerts and how one can stop these alerts (e.g. by reverting to "standard databases").

KAV, in my opinion, has always been lacking in its end-user interface. Some of these issues have been addressed through forum messages, repeatedly, by supportive personnel such as Don. It would be far better if Kaspersky fixed their user interface, but it seems like they are literally incapable of doing so. In other words, the person in charge just "doesn't get it". It happens in organizations. One person's decision can really muck up a product's design. And so it goes. However, I do think that what you are attributing as a possible "con" is really user engineering issues that exist in many aspects of KAV.

Respectfully,
    Rich

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

If money isn't a problem. Install Ewido, BoClean, TrojanHunter and A2.
    The more scanners you have the better, because each scanner has something extra, what the others don't have.
    I wonder how many members know EXACTLY in FULL DETAIL what each AT scanner has extra with respect to other AT scanners or is it just a wild guess or a feeling ? As for me, I confess, I don't know these differences.

If money is a problem, install A2 Free and use the new Ewido online scanner.
    Ewido online scanner found upto now one high risk threat on my computer : Comsoft.Dialer.
    Big deal, if you have a cable modem connection :)

3. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi Steve

No, i never for second thought you were bashing, i know you too well for me to think that, and you are definitely not a sheep, you're a dog.

I just debated with you and we don't have to agree. :)

Btw. I sent a zipfile containing malware on behalf of someone else as late as yesterday and they came back mostly clean, infact only one positive, so......... ;)

4. why

why Guest

Of course you don't. Those who do are tagged AV expert, not just normal members.

5. NormanS

NormanS Registered Member

As a former TDS-3 user who thought DiamondCS hung the moon, I have switched to ewido and found it a worthy successor to TDS-3.

ewido found Spyware that my two anti-spyware programs failed to find; it also found a nest-full of spyware in the form of cookies.

OK, so I've only had ewido for a day; I may sing a different song after a week, but my gut feeling is that I won't.

ewido is much easier to use than TDS-3 and does a good job of covering more ground.

I have a lingering hope that Wayne and Gavin will make a startling comeback; I also wish to see Jason re-united with them.

It is thanks to the participants of this thread that I discovered ewido.

If you're listening, Rich, special thanks go to you; your comments are particularly objective and insightful.

6. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi NormanS,

Nice to hear from you and I am glad that Ewido is working out for you. I have been using since it was first released, and I have been very pleased with it. It is a quiet company that just does its job well. I share your sentiments concerning DCS.

Have a great week!

Regards,
    Rich

7. Don Pelotas

Yes they do, but the trial versions have not been updated to the latest versions yet, the latest AV is 5.0.383 which is included as well as new versions of Antihacker & Antispam in the suite, ATM the version in the trialversions is 5.0.228 (in the suite) & 5.0.372 in the AV. Should be updated in the next week. :)

P.s. You posted in the wrong forum. ;)

8. TouchuvGrey

TouchuvGrey Registered Member

So far i have trialed several security products in the search for something to take the place of ( not replace ) TDS-3. The choice seems to be pretty much narrowed down to Ewido or A2 ( not to denigrate any of the other products available ), i like Ewido a bit better so will likely go with that and add RegDefend in a bit when finances permit. I'm just wondering if anyone has any clue what Wayne has up his sleeve and when we might see it. Is it going to be aong the lines of Ewido and A2 ? or will it be something else entirely ?

Mike

9. Don Pelotas

No, it will not be like Ewido or A2 (= TDS-3) or else he will loose the rest of his credibility. It will probably be some kind of proactive program. Interesting to see what he will come up with and as always with DCS when :)

10. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    TDS-3 was discontinued I guess… ProcessGuard will improved.

Many are dismayed when they learn that TDS-3 will be discontinued. This was unexpected, especially for those who relied on DiamondCS quality products. Me myself, in the past when this software was still available, have tested TDS-3 for a month (trial) and was immediately impressed w/ its capability to detect those stealthy Trojans in my pc and I have no doubt that this is the best anti-trojan program that I have ever been tested on my pc. Even if the scanning engine was very slow and some of its features/tools were so advanced and hard to use for novice like me and its interface looks a little bit scary… :ninja: ...still I believe that this is the best Trojan scanner made on the planet. ;)

Some decisions have to be made in order to continue the flow of creativity on different areas. Maybe, some are frustrated and some still could not believe it and others are still wondering why it happens. But for me… I have a guess… :rolleyes:
    DiamondCS will probably have a plan to improve their most popular software program that they’ve ever been built… the ProcessGuard. This is one of the most popular “preventive” protection software programs of today and I believe many developers follow the ProcessGuard example and success, and DiamondCS knows that. Some already knows that ProcessGuard can also help our pc pass leaktests and that is it can also protect us from those stealthy Trojans. With those things in mind I was then speculating that ProcessGuard protection power can then be more effective if an additional layer of Trojan generic preventive capabilities will be incorporated onto it and it should be then that anti-trojan scanners will just become a thing of the past. :D ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.