Now What ?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by TouchuvGrey, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

yes, me too was wondering that...

let me tell you my experience to all...three years ago I discovered tds cause I was looking for an antitrojan next to Norton :D (yes, don't say a word!!! :cool: ) there were three options: tds-3, boclean and trojanhunter...(three years ago ..)

tds-3 has caught I think hunderds of nasties in realtime (p2p, warez,...whatever I could find to play with it, I mean I LOVED VERY VERY MUCH this time)

I purchased th couple of months later when I realised the memory scanner wasn't that what I expected and I purchased TH... man, 50$ for nothing (and I can add some other tools too that were not supposed to cost a dime :mad: )

anyway...tds-3 has been top of the hill since Ewido came and boclean got better and better (the support - now again with the decent explanation from Kevin) ...

like someone who I respect has said: "It's a jungle out there..."

Ewido didn't even exist when tds was the top ...

so yes TDS-3 still has a big part still...just hoping the new products (we'll just see about that, don't we?...no offence truely) are considered to be another layer, maybe even better...who knows.

you cannot compare the at's with eachother...cause of the differences in time, situation...

take care y'all,

Andy

/VERY VERY VERY VERY BIG EDIT:

Personally, I hope Jason would go back to DCS, DCS purchase regdefend from him again so they are a winning team again...differences of opinions will always remain but that doesn't have to be the end or what?...

Am I that weird? .. don't understand... just hoping...best wishes

Last edited: Jul 23, 2005
  2. Starrob

Starrob Registered Member

The original poster would have ruffled less feathers by stating that TDS-3 was one of the top tier Anti-Trojans. Other top Anti-trojans are (in no particular order) BoClean, Ewido, Trojanhunter and a2.

Any of those would be considered viable alternatives and which one that is chosen depends on which frame of view the beholder decides to use.

Stating that TDS-3 is the number one Anti-Trojan is a absolutist statement that is sure to draw fire from those that see things from other points of view.

Starrob

3. Magnus Mischel

Magnus Mischel Security Expert

I'm not going to make any specific comments relating to Ewido (but rather a general obeservation) - you definitely cannot compare trojan scanners by counting signatures since each manufacturer counts differently. Some have (as TrojanHunter does) one definition for each unique trojan, others include variants in their count and still others include generic detections when they give you the trojan definition count. Sure, the advertising for TrojanHunter could give you an estimate of the real number of trojans the program detects and removes but if you're going to compare trojan scanners it's better to do that based on what they detect and remove in a real-life situation instead of looking at the promotional material. Just my two cents, anyway...

4. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Oh I see, so if I post in the AVG Forum, then by virtue of the Forum I'm in, it is O.K. for me to claim that AVG has absolutely the best detection rate, without due consideration of other contenders?

5. Infinity

yes Starrob, that is an useless statement...especialy last 12 months...

6. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Many thanks TopperID,

I will probably give it a try but I will wait to buy it untill DCS unveil their next baby... :cool:

7. Infinity

Magnus, you too are correct about that! it's useless energy trying to compare...starters the sigs counting, whatever comparing material

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Sure....works for me :p

In any case....it started in the TDS Forum....where tooting of TDS and ruffling of feathers is allowed....nothing more nothing less.

9. TopperID

And it came to this Forum where it drew flack.... nothing more nothing less!

10. Infinity

Does this really matters Topper? I cannot even see how this can be the discussion... :oops:

11. TopperID

Very true, but that is exactly the area where ewido scores so well!

12. TopperID

If it doesn't matter, why keep bringing it up?

I didn't start the nit picking did I?

13. Infinity

no you didn't...the way I see it: no one was picking the nit or whatever...

/edit: @ Topper: don't get personal. :rolleyes: useless energy...discussion can be good...look @ London :blink:

14. TopperID

In that case we'll leave the 'nits' to lie in rest :D

15. Infinity

Thanx Pal!!! :-*

the line of discussion isn't easely drawn...cause the topics are so easily merged into another topic again: LIKE THIS -> (I said previously that the 50$ for TH sucked big time, well...)

TH IS NOT BAD!!!! it depends on your artilery you already have in the first place...I can see situations where TH can stand very well ... and this is no butt sucking or whatever you gonna call it in your country... :D

starters: I made a few suggestions there and I remember the first answer I received like it was yesterday...

THEY WERE LAUGHING AT ME LIKE I WAS A CHILD :'( :'(

well, I hope Magnus, you succeed and TH will have it's kernel stuff inside with the startup section have immediate respons like I asked...

sorry...emotional baby me too sometimes.

I edited this cause of the importance the direction this discussion is going... :ninja:

16. Starrob

Yeah, it seems everyone just loves to ruffle feathers. There is no entertainment value in just simply discussing features of products or simply giving the pluses or minuses of different approaches to security.

It is far more entertaining to butt heads with another ego. I will now sit back and get my popcorn. This is sure to entertain me for the rest of the day...LOL

Starrob

17. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Nah, no more entertainment here....as Topper said....we're going to let the "'nits' to lie in rest" :cool:

As for entertainment....I've got my feet up and a bag of peanuts watching this funny channel....instead of discussing "different approaches to security" :D

18. Starrob

Well, actually I got to change my entertainment for today from watching head butting egos to going to a BBQ. My family is having a BBQ today.....so it is off to getting something good to eat.

Starrob

19. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

My alter ego loves BBQ....enjoy your evening with the family :cool:

20. TouchuvGrey

TouchuvGrey Registered Member

Way back in Post # 1 in this thread i stated an opinion, i thought i made it clear that it was just my opinion. When i first got TDS-3 back a few years ago ( 2001 maybe ) it was the only AT that i knew of, looking back i don't think there was much else at all. TDS-3 found some nasties on the machine i had then and has saved me from a few more over the years.
    I did not intend to denigrate any other AT products with my question. I was merely looking for opinions as to what to replace it with in a forum that i respect very highly as a place where people far more knowledgable that i are willing to answer my questions and increase my knowledge and the security of my computer.

Mike

21. muf

muf Registered Member

Detection numbers mean nothing. It's all in the way the different vendors decide how they should be counted. And tbh, it's nothing short of advertising in the extreme. "Our scanner detects x number of thousands". I recall a post that Kevin(Boclean) made regarding numbers in definition's databases. He said that if he was to count every single variant individually that BOClean could detect then it would be somewhere in excess of 250,000. And this was about 6 months ago!!! BOClean from what i can gather only claims the detection against the first one i.e IAMATROJAN.a, and even though it may detect b through to z using that same sig, it still only claims 1 detection in it's definition database. Unlike some vendors that will claim 26.

muf

22. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Mike,

I can give you my actual experiences with all of the ATs that you have mentioned. I have been using KAV for the last year and a half, and neither Ewido nor BOClean (or Trojan Hunter when I was running it in real-time) has ever detected any trojan in real-time that KAV may have missed. Using on-demand scans, Ewido has uncovered traces of malware that were probably left behind, but were inactive. It also has picked up "tracking cookies". Trojan Hunter has never detected anything. BOClean, as you know, does not have a full batch on-demand scan (only does it on a file-by-file basis).

What would be nice is if someone could point out specific algorithmic capabilities that BOClean has, that Ewido does not have, which would make BOClean a better choice. Lacking that, I would say that Ewido would be the better choice, because of its scanning capabilities that can detect malware that may not be detectable via real-time memory process scanning alone.

I would say, with KAV installed, using either Ewido or BOClean is really to provide "peace of mind", for the off-chance that KAV will miss something. Statistically this is about 1 out of 75 malware encounters (based upon the AV-Comparative tests). Since I encounter about 3 malwares year. KAV will fail about once ever 25 years - which means I will probably never see a failure. But for a few bucks, it is worth it to me to have an AT running. But really it is ProcessGuard and RegDefend that provide me with the most peace of mind.

Cya,
    Rich

Last edited: Jul 23, 2005
  23. muf

muf Registered Member

I think Rich makes a good observation about the qualities of KAV. Imho, if you use KAV you really don't need another application for trojan protection. If KAV misses it then chances are so will all the dedicated Anti-Trojans. KAV should not really be categorised as an anti-virus. It is as good as any other AV at detecting viruses, and it's as good as any AT at detecting trojans. It should have a category all it's own - Anti-Virojan. I'm not kidding as well. I don't honestly believe you could find a combination of a seperate out and out AV + a seperate out and out AT which can better KAV. Running an AT with KAV is a waste imho, peace of mind or not.

I run NOD32+BOClean. I do have KAV as well but due to some 'quirks' with version 5 accessing my 'A'Drive annoyingly(WIN ME problem), and version 4.5 being too resource intensive on my 1ghz pc, i use it only as on-demand. If i was running KAV resident then i wouldn't run a seperate AT.

muf

24. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Muf,

Not only do I run Ewido next to KAV but I also have BOClean. Why?? Because it helps pass the time of day. :D Shucks, I paid for them, might as well get some mileage. And who knows, maybe some day, before I pass on, one of them may actually catch something. If it happens, I'll just leap out of my chair - and probably get a heart attack ... :p

Cya,
    Rich

25. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

I have heard this before from other unrecallable sources as well. Certainly here more then likely perhaps Topper missed the thread. I agree with you, this would be a very unrelaible way to judge a security product. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.