Now that Opera is free with no ads, are you switching to Opera?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Pollmaster, Sep 20, 2005.

?

Now that Opera is free, are you switching?

1. Yes, it will now be my main browser

18 vote(s)
    12.4%
  2. Yes, it will now be my backup browser

27 vote(s)
    18.6%
  3. Opera is already my main browser

44 vote(s)
    30.3%
  4. No, I don't like Opera

31 vote(s)
    21.4%
  5. Maybe, I haven't tried it before.

15 vote(s)
    10.3%
  6. I don't know

10 vote(s)
    6.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

You actually accepted that Netscape 8 EULA?!!!! And you post at a Security site? I wouldn't touch 8.0 if you paid me to do so. I will never upgrade beyond 7.2. That is the most invasive EULA I have ever seen.

2. Okay Mele, no need to get into personal attacks. People are at different levels of knowledge and ability in this forum.

After all what you post might sometimes strike someone more knowledgable the same way too. In fact, I'm sure that has happened more than once or twice. :)

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I use it only occasionally as I find the double engine feature quite interesting. I do switch between Opera and Netscape again and again, but I've not downloaded the latest Opera as of yet, so I'll be using Netscape till it comes by (i.e. I get the latest Opera downloaded on my crap Dialup connection).

Besides, I was new to Netscape when I made that previous post.....and had not quite read the EULA at that time.

I'll soon switch again......but Firefox or Opera is the big question :doubt:

Last edited: Oct 11, 2005
  4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I would love to use it because I've always liked Netscape and have 7.2. I also am interested in the double engine. I wanted to beta test it but there was that shocking EULA. I thought maybe the terrible invasiveness of that EULA was because it was beta. I held out hopes (as did many of us who discussed this at my home site) that the final version would not contain this EULA. But it did and basically what you are agreeing to is to allow Netscape to come into your computer when ever they please and do what ever they please. Besides you agree to not tamper in any way with the ads. Horrible.

I waded through every page of that extremely long EULA because I was suspicious since the Beta EULA was so awful. I just got Javacool's Eulagizer and I downloaded the installer engine for Netscape 8 just now so I would have access to the EULA. I dragged the EULA to Eulagizer and boy was that fascinating. I seriously doubt that anyone using the Eulagizer to analyze "interesting" words would install it after reading the analysis!! Plus, I didn't have to wade through 80 pages of tiny print. The Eulagizer not only did that for me but rated the "badness" of each nasty in the EULA. Great tool!

I feel for you with your dialup connection. I well remember what torture it was to download something like a browser on dialup.

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

It seems Eulaizer is a nice tool indeed. Now I've got FF downloaded, and I'll get Opera done soon...

6. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I use Firefox, but have been trying out Opera. I had a go with Opera a couple of years back, but I didn't like it then. It certainly has improved a lot since those days, so I'm happy to use it as a secondary browser to FF.

7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Tried it many many years ago, caused me to reinstall Win98 back then...so it had been quite a few years since I wanted to try it again....but finally

...jumped to Opera when it went adware free, and I'm done with Firefox..been dabbling with FF since...dunno, 0.7 or 0.8...up til Opera adware free.

The concrete them in Opera looks similar to the lean and mean brushed theme I liked in FF.

I find Opera much faster than FF....especially when loading forum threads with lots of images.

It's not crashed on me once, quite a few FF versions got me pretty sick of the "poof" crashing. On several machines...clean machines.

8. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Actually, I have tried Opera 8 browser in the past and used it for a week... but some of its features is a little bit hard for me to use and my internet speed and browsing is slow... I don't know why its slow on my pc. Firefox is a lot more faster for me..... I found firefox to be very easy to use and still I'm learning to master this browser. And if some websites or some of my downloads got corrupted then I will use Internet Explorer. My hard drive are gettin full already w other softwares, and I am content having two browsers in my pc. ;)

But... maybe, I still try again the newer version of Opera to see what's new.

9. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I switch from Maxthon to Opera until the new version of Maxthon and IE are released... After I will choose what I will use in the future...

10. nod32.9

nod32.9 Guest

Firefox

1. May tweak options.
    2. Adblock.
    3. Extensions.

11. dadkins

dadkins Registered Member

I've been using Opera for quite some time.

12. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Have been useing Opera for years and it just keeps getting better all the time.:D

Attached Files:

13. Larry38

Larry38 Registered Member

I am using Opera as a backup to Firefox, when I know more about Opera I'll probably use it in the place of Firefox, using Firefox as the backup.

14. HiTop

HiTop Guest

I already use Opera.

15. Sonap

Sonap Registered Member

Maybe, I haven't tried it before.

16. MakoFusion

MakoFusion Registered Member

Nope! Firefox has extesions and so there!

17. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Well I gave Opera a fair shake, IMHO anyway. Firefox won. So my don't know is now a Nope. I just like Fx better, Opera is good, but not my cup of tea.

18. crapuper

crapuper Guest

opera is my alternative bro^wser.

best regards,

19. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

Amen to that!

I used Firefox from about 0.7 up until a month ago when I gave Opera a try; within a few days I was sold. Pretty much everything you could hope for is included in the browser. I also much prefer the way Opera handles feeds.

Another plus is Opera's outstanding track record when it comes to security.

20. dylanfan

dylanfan Registered Member

Another vote for Opera here. Version 9preview 2 is out now.

The ad-blocking capabilities of Opera are now GUI-available.

See Here for more.

Can't wait 'til this Opera 9 is finalized!! :) :)

Cheers

21. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Are you 'previewing' v9? If so, whatcha think of it?

22. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

I do not like FF . Never have . I think it is a sad excuse for a browser . Safe maybe but , YUCK . I love Opera . And Maxthon is a nice shell for IE .

23. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have it installed and it is a great browser. I would´ve used it as my main browser if I hadnt tried Firefox first. All the extensions in FF gives too much freedom to ignore :) I guess the choice of browser is a matter of preference...(duh!?)
    http://www.cosgan.de/images/kao/liebe/g025.gif

24. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

25. dylanfan

dylanfan Registered Member

Yes, some weird display on a few rare sites, but it's just a matter of a few days's tweaking by their team. The ad-blocking GUI is very nice and intelligent.

When you're on a web page, you right click an empty spot, select "block content" which then displays the page in kind of a background view except for the images which are suited for removal by Opera-those remain in full view. This way, all content that can be blocked appears in stark contrast to the acceptable rest. A simple left click on any removable item then marks it with a "blocked" mention. Then you click "done" on a special menu bar which just appeared, and the page gets back to its normal state, with the banned items removed.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.