Now that Opera is free with no ads, are you switching to Opera?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Pollmaster, Sep 20, 2005.

?

Now that Opera is free, are you switching?

1. Yes, it will now be my main browser

18 vote(s)
    12.4%
  2. Yes, it will now be my backup browser

27 vote(s)
    18.6%
  3. Opera is already my main browser

44 vote(s)
    30.3%
  4. No, I don't like Opera

31 vote(s)
    21.4%
  5. Maybe, I haven't tried it before.

15 vote(s)
    10.3%
  6. I don't know

10 vote(s)
    6.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foxfreak

foxfreak Guest

Thanks very much Poll2. :) That Opera adfilter looks good. :D

The FF extensions I was talking about were the Switch Proxy. I like to add my 'own' user agents and you can't do that with Opera. But mostly it's the Switch Proxy extension that I need the most. It takes much more time to switch between 'mutiple' proxies with Opera.

2. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Opera is my main browser since version 6. :)
    Nothing would change my mind to use another one, although I've Firefox installed too, but that's another story.
    I guess you would say I'm hooked. :D

3. Omicron

Omicron Registered Member

Yes I think I will switch to it as my main browser

4. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Opera replaced Firefox as default browser. Firefox is still there as backup. And IE got locked for some years already ;)

5. tansu

tansu Registered Member

Opera since 2004, both in windows and Suse..

6. Arup

Arup Guest

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

All software can have problems.

Firefox

Opera

8. Arup

Arup Guest

Sure, to expect a problem free software would be Utopia, but if numbers are any indication, Opera rules.

9. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I agree 110% Arup!

10. AXIS

AXIS Registered Member

Smooth browser......awesome!

11. Rilla927

Eventually you will get Hammered!

12. Rilla927

Opera rocks! I do use FF too and I really like it, but Opera is much more customizable, and yes there is a bit of a learning curve. Opera to me is much more reliable, because I don't have to worry about whatever extension I installed not to work.

Once you have Opera set up the way you want, you don't have to worry about anything else. Smooth sailin!

Everytime I would install an extension for FF I would have a problem with it, except for one. So I tend to favor Opera because it doesn't require a bunch of extensions to work properly. Everything is built into the browser already!

Please exclude flash, java, quicktime, WMP etc, because all browsers need those.

13. Arup

Arup Guest

Rilla,

If you like Opera, try it's mail client, made a die hard HTML only and true blue Outlook user into a convert to plain text mailing, its not only smoother than Outlook, but also faster and far more secure. Takes getting used to initially, but then it become a keeper for sure.

14. Rilla927

I agree! It is much.....safer! I hope Opera takes IE and slings them by their ears.

Once the world actually realizes Opera is the safest browser IE will be MUD!

I thought that was the best decision he could have ever made, to make it free. So the world will at least give it a try.

I don't know about you guys, and I'm sure most of you are the same way about SAFETY.

Honestly, I never intended to make Opera my default browser, but once I used it, I constantly found myself looking for those certain features, etc that I liked so much. It's original skin is very easy on the eyes, and appealing. So before you know it, I was hooked. And I will never ever bow down to IE again.

Only when I need updates!

I'm sorry my rant is done for now. ;)

15. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Don't know. FireFox works good for me most of the time.

16. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Like a few members have posted, all software will have problems from time to time. I personally prefer opera Over FF and IE but I do realize Opera is not perfect either. Opera has a couple of quirks but I love the way it works. But the truth be known I like IE also if it wasn't such a risk at times. It all boils down to what your personal preference is, they all have good points and bad and I guess it is just a matter of balancing the plus and minus of them to your surfing needs.

17. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I really tried to like Opera when I got the ad free version on its birthday. I asked a zillion questions in the dslr forums about it and used it exclusively for a while. But it has too many major problems for me to use it other than just once in a great while. I would use IE before Opera and I can't stand IE. I love Fx and Mozilla and even Netscape 7.2 is better than Opera for me. I have been using Mozilla for four years and Fx since it was Phoenix. I had Netscape as my default browser for about 7 years as I never liked IE even way back.

It was the extremely poor cookie handling in Opera that first turned me off. I can't login to my home site using Opera. Then I missed TabbedBrowsing Extensions greatly. That extension is why I started using Mozilla so many years ago. Tabbed browsing in Opera is quite primitive compared to TBE in Fx and Mozilla. Then there is no decent Spell Checker for Opera. ASpell is horrible on my computer and nothing like Spellbound. I also couldn't stand looking at my home site (dslreports) without the Fx extension Remove It Permanently. I have ripped out all the clutter at dslr and many other sites. That one extension is so fabulous that I can't believe anyone who has used it would ever want a browser that doesn't have it.

One thing I did really like about Opera is the fit to page feature which Fx doesn't have. But then Opera gives me a tiny box to type IMs in at dslr. Bookmarklet only slightly enlarged that box but the same bookmarklet made the Fx box nice and big.

18. Arup

Arup Guest

Opera's cookie manager is the most easily accessible than FF or IE and the clearest to use., as for Tabbed browsing, Opera invented it, FF can't even come close to Maxthon in terms of that.

As for Wand, I have seven sites that I access today with the wand without any problems.

19. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Opera forces you to white list and I can't do that because I can't put dslreports.com into the list. (Plus, Opera forces logon to broadbandreports.com not dslreports.com. I will not logon to broadbandreports.com). I far prefer Fx approach which is to ask me the first time for every site and then remember what I tell it. MUCH easier and it works for dslr. The only way I finally found to be able to logon to dslreports.com was to abandon my choices for handling cookies in Opera and tell Opera to accept all cookies! That is a TOTAL NO-NO in my opinion. Plus, Opera loses the logon several times a day. My other browsers do not.

You have never used TBE obviously or you would not say that. However, your comment is typical of a dedicated Opera user. I heard the same at dslr but it is simply not true. Opera users usually are thinking of the default tabbed browsing in Fx and Mozilla. Those are awful and only marginally better than the tabbed browsing available now for IE from MSN toolbar. It doesn't matter that Opera may have invented tabbed browsing. TBE is nothing short of fabulous and it runs circles around Opera's tabbed browsing. We've discussed this at dslreports and everyone who loves TBE, and uses FX because of TBE, agrees. Opera has nothing like all the choices in TBE. TBE is the most worked on and constantly updated extension of them all also. Without it, I would not want Fx or Mozilla or Netscape to which it can be added if you try really hard. As for Maxathon, I have never used it so I have no idea what its tabbed browsing is like. The Wand I turned off immediately in Opera. (I have password management turned off in Fx also. I dislike stuff like that).

20. Arup

Arup Guest

I used FF since version1 as an alternate with Opera since I refuse to use IE, as a matter of fact, I do like the launchy extension quite a lot, however, I also used Tabbrowser extension from day one as well, it was quite buggy but it worked in context of FF as FF sorely needed it, Opera doesn't need that at all as it has a different topography. FF's slow load time and slow rendering on my 8mbps broadband even with all the network tweaks including 128 connections and pipelining applied just could not match with Opera's speed, superb pre draw rendering or its bullet fast loading as compared to FF, Opera in my system is fully loaded with voice, mail, RSS and newsreader. The cookie setting you mention is a quirk which is specific in your case and you know very well, one software can't really serve all but I agree, if you go to DSL reports regularly, it can be a pain. For me, Tools>Advanced>Cookies is good and fast enough access to cookies as can ever be. I also just recently ditched TB having switched to it from Outlook, won't even mention how it went down the tube after version 1.05 update.

21. Former user of TBE here

Your love for TBE is evident. But TBE is also famous for being one of the most complicated and bloated extensions in FF. There are many people (including firefox developers) who are (were) dead set against recomending it as those who love it, as I'm sure you are aware.

Let me share my experience with TBE

I personally used TBE for over a year because back then, firefox's basic tab browser was even worse then now (not single window mode!) and it was a pain to indidvually sample the 3 or 4 extensions that give me all I needed. (Drag and move tabs, xes on each tab, tab clicking options , single window mode etc).

I figured as unstable as TBE was, I'm pretty sure it would be almost as bad running 3-5 extensions from different authors.

And boy was it unstable. It slowed down my startup times considerably, and worse i remember it had this persistant bug that broken google sites. You could switch to search google groups or news or images on the google homepage. It was fixed in some versions but reappeared randomly in others.

I persisted because there was nothing better.

Today I use tab mix plus. It does all I want and is almost as feature full as TBE, without all the problems. Have you tried tabmix? A lot of TBE users I know have migrated to tab mix plus. Of course there is probably bugs in tabmix too for people very picky about tab browsing, but i don't see any obvious major ones unlike in TBE.

I prefer password management then leaving cookies for log ins. Slightly more secure.

I'm not sure whether Opera's Wand is better than ff's password management, they have different plus and minus points, some sites work better for one , some of the other.

22. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Tab Mix has been mentioned to me several times in the Mozilla forum at dslreports. I've read threads about it there and I know that there are a number of former TBE users who have switched to it and really like it.

Yes, I know the unfortunate political history behind TBE and MOFO. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=8354&start=95

That's Ben's rather self serving comment. A lot of us think he was upset because Piro wrote such a great extension that should have been a part of Fx from the beginning. TBE never has had the problems in Mozilla that it has had in Fx.

TBE was not starting a link in a Google search in a new tab for a long time recently. Even new versions or old archived versions which used to open a new link were not doing it suddenly. All of a sudden about two weeks ago, it started working right again. So, even when TBE was doing that despicible thing with searches in Google thatdrove me crazy, I stayed with it. It would have to blow up Fx probably for me to leave it. ;)

23. formertbe

formertbe Guest

That's kind of offbase really. First consider that firefox's style and reason for existence has always being to avoid complexity, and as nice as TBE is for so called power users, it is way too bloated for the majority of users. To say that Ben Goodger was upset because he think TBE is a great extension and should have being part of FX from the *beginning* is projection from your part, you like TBE's features, but that doesn't mean Ben dodger likes it.

In fact I highly suspect that on top of the technical reasons for why he doesn't like TBE (which were later addressed) , he just doesn't like
    TBE because it's too complicated. He certainly doesnt want it as part of firefox even if he was the one who wrote it!

To my knowledge he hasn't spoken out against tabmix , altough I'm pretty sure he has the same gut feeling towards it as TBE, it's too complicated...

Mozilla is based on a different philisophy. The inital mozilla base had no and limited tab browsing at all. Remember MultiZilla? That was what I was using until I moved to firebird (they had renamed it from pheonix shortly after I switched).

Apparantly TBE is more important than google for you. I think that's nuts really, google is THE site to visit, and when any extension no matter how beloved fouls it up, it eventually has to go.

Tabmix does almost everything TBE can do , so why not?

24. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

TBE was refusing to open a new tab after doing a search and clicking on a link in the search results for some other engines also. Some engines it worked properly and some it didn't. But it has been working again for a while now. To me TBE is the main reason to use Fx. Otherwise I'd use some other browser. So, yes TBE is more important than Google. I just switched to an engine that worked properly for most of my searches when Google was not. TBE today suddenly stopped saving all tabs open when Fx is shut down. I hate that too as that automatic function is a main reason I use TBE. But periodically, for no discernible reason, that won't work either. But I still love TBE and don't want any substitute.

25. MushfiQ

MushfiQ Registered Member

Opera is justly smooth....was using IE now Opera being my default one! Thx to Arup for helping out & tweak a lil bit more...loving every bit of it :)

ciao!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.