Now that Opera is free with no ads, are you switching to Opera?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Pollmaster, Sep 20, 2005.

?

Now that Opera is free, are you switching?

1. Yes, it will now be my main browser

18 vote(s)
    12.4%
  2. Yes, it will now be my backup browser

27 vote(s)
    18.6%
  3. Opera is already my main browser

44 vote(s)
    30.3%
  4. No, I don't like Opera

31 vote(s)
    21.4%
  5. Maybe, I haven't tried it before.

15 vote(s)
    10.3%
  6. I don't know

10 vote(s)
    6.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Opera is good, tested, and a fairly polished app. I've tried it several times but kept going back to Firefox (because of the extensions). Now that the ads are gone, I'll give it another try.

My only complaint with Firefox is the memory leak (hopefully, this will be fixed in 1.5 (it should, since it's been known for quite a while)).

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Opera has been my default browser for a long time and will remain so for a long time :D ;)

3. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I'll second that. ;) :D

Give me Opera or give me death.... errr Firefox or somethin like that. :D

snowbound

4. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Opera and Ad Muncher = unbeatable combo. :cool:

Acadia

5. dog

dog Guest

Firefox is still my main browser ... Opera is my secondary ... the same setup I had previous to this announcement - But there wasn't an choice/option in the poll to reflect this so I didn't vote. :cool:

6. myluvnttl

myluvnttl Registered Member

I will still stick to Firefox, can't change browser when I have everything thing the way I like it. :D :D

7. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I am with you dog. FF is primary with Opera as a secondary. Both have good features, however so far I tend to favor FF more. :D

8. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Exactly the same here :)

9. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have yet to understand cookie management in Opera even after reading the link o_O

I have to reset my Google safe filtering preferences each time I start the browser as I clear the cookies at close. Easy with Avant to make sure I kept this one but looks like I will have to learn the cookie bit. Love the rest but cookies o_O o_O

IE/Avant were easy to set up for session cookies & I could also use prompt to keep the ones I wanted to but not so easy in Opera unless I just set it to prompt until I get the Google one in the box to stay if that is possible o_O

10. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Yup, no software program is perfect and for me the question is, "Why did they have to configure the Cookie Manager in Opera the way that they did?". It took me an entire day to figure out how to use it, but once I did, it has worked perfectly. But really, Opera, everyone else made it simple, why did ya'll have to be so different?

Acadia

11. chew

chew Registered Member

Opera is already my main browser eversince I paid for the registered version about one month ago. Firefox is now the backup so in a way it is just a minor switch of the position for me that's all. I think update for Opera is very simple (install over) compare to my Firefox (I usually do a clean uninstall and install). But both are good.

:)

12. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

I still use all three top browsers IE, Firefox, and Opera but Firefox is the dominate one.

13. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I am still trying to work the cookies out! I changed something there and could not enter my yahoo group/mail at all o_O One thing when you change a setting Opera is powerful as it blocks immediately. I will have to devote more time to learning the cookie things as I don't want to be accepting things I don't really want. I clear at shut down but it is the ones I need which puzzle me o_O o_O

Just found the server manager details maybe get to working them out now!!

14. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Running smoothly on ubuntu

15. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Well I voted "I don't know". My real answer is Maybe, I have tried it before and did not like it. I doubt I will switch, I like Firefox.

Don't need a backup browser, it's all or nothing. I suppose you could call Internet Explorer my backup since I do use it for two web sites that require IE.

I did download Opera a few hours ago and will give it a fair shake. Who knows?

16. Brandon

Brandon Registered Member

I also still will use IE :)

Regards,

Brandon

17. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

One thing to note with Opera is that the default search.ini file does route some searches via third party trackers - e.g. typing e computer in the address bar (which does an eBay search on "computer") will go via fastclk first. The Testing Opera 8.0... thread mentions a couple of fixes for this.

18. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

Darn missed that, i'm rusty, need to do more polls.

19. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thanks Paranoid2000 have changed my search.ini even though I don't use e-bay and things like that I changed it just in case.

20. toploader

toploader Registered Member

started out using opera - have now switched to firefox but will keep opera as backup. both opera and firefox are very quick to update - an install over of a new version takes less than 30 seconds.

21. BaRaKa

BaRaKa Registered Member

I already use Opera, I think it's the best browser out there better than Firefox in my opinion even tough Firefox is a good choice aswell for anyone who doesn't wish to use IE. Now that it is free Opera will increase in popularity for sure and maybe take some people away from Firefox.

22. xml

xml Guest

23. foxfreak

foxfreak Guest

I'm sticking with the Fox! Opera is good, but lacks many of my favorite FF extensions that I would have a tough time without.

I'm really interested to see how Opera will handle all the new flaws it will probably suddenly develop, now that it will most likely increase in popularity. I wonder if they'll be as quick as FF to fix any flaws, if they come rolling in on a regular basis, or will Opera take a similar approach to IE.

Also does the latest Opera have ad blocking now? If not, does anyone know where we can get free ad blocking for Opera. Thanks.

24. poll2

poll2 Guest

Which ones? I'll try to help , some can be replaced at least partly by various tricks.

http://www.operaadfilter.com/

25. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I went from IE to Firefox, and then to Opera. I like Opera a lot, but Firefox is a bit faster.

Opera will remain my backup browser, but Netscape 8.0 has replaced Firefox as the default browser on my PC. I love Netscape with its two engines (Firefox and IE). There's hardly anything it doesn't render properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.