Now, let's talk some TOUR de FRANCE

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by slammer_JvA, Jul 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

And another question regarding another quote from the same article.

"Despite not being a threat in the general classification, the Italian was soon pulled back after Armstrong's bizarre counter-attack and even gestured in frustration when he saw the American at his side."

Why would the "Italian" be so upset at Lance? Just because Lance wouldn't let him win? :eek: That seems like a pretty childish attitude, doesn't it? Why would anyone think they have a right to win if they are not the best rider? It's like the Italian is saying, "Oh come on - let me win for a change". Am I reading this right?

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

that wouldnt happen in Lance's team. The reason Lance went by himself is because all the other racers knew what he was doing, and he would go back to the group afterward, and almost all support him, not the Italian. Plus the race is over now he is something like 4 minuets ahead in time(over 3 weeks,only 2 days left)if you are talking about another team, it is because The Tour is the biggest race of the year(most sponsorship,money)and a race win can generate money for the team. also if one person catches the break-away group he may have a team-mate he can work with. and another reason is, because it is such a long race, the riders in the lead group could still be 30 mins. behind the leaders, so they wont worry about them.

3. Dazed_and_Confused

Regarding my first question about why let a teammate attack the pack, I wasn't talking about today's race, but just in general. I still don't understand the advantage to the team leader if he let's a teammate attack the lead group. It still leaves the team leader in the peloton.

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thats because Lance should be professional and not concern himself with personal problems. if it was any other rider that far behind him in time, he would have just let him go. by Lance being their the Italian knew the other riders in that group would blame him when the other lead riders eventually decided that Lance wasnt coming back. Lance would only go back to the pack if the Italian came with him

5. Dazed_and_Confused

Yes, I understand why Lance chased him down, and I agree that was probably not the right thing to do. But still, I don't think anyone has a right to complain about someone else not letting him win! No one has a right to win a race unless he is the best rider. Both are wrong here.

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

the only team that will not do that is Lance's, they are only there for him. other teams do it for the glory of a stage win.

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

you are right. but, its not the done thing. to a racer it is bizarre
    EDIT the only reason he did it was because he does not like the man. nothing to do with racing

8. Dazed_and_Confused

OK. Regarding today's race, if Lance were to have stayed in the breakaway group, why would that have prompted others in the Peloton to chase the breakaway group down? If your in the Peloton, and NOT in the breakaway group, your not going to win the stage anyway. So what does it matter where Lance is?

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

they are doing it for themselves, i think there's a song in there somewhere, to maybe get a win, and for the team to get the team noticed. but maybe not for their team leader.

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

because the riders that are 5-10 behind Lance have a duty to race him, it's their job. and the German racer Jan Ullrich, he is thought of as the greatest talent in the world, he's just not as strong mentally as Lance, has a very outside chance of beating Lance in the time-trial, when they set off by themselves and race against the clock tomorrow(today)

11. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

12. big ed

big ed Registered Member

I'm still trying to figure out where the US Postal Service got the money to sponser the Armstrong team in the first place.

big ed

13. ssgtmax

ssgtmax Registered Member

Do you buy stamps?? I say that only half in jest. I think lot of folks in the ol' USA have asked your very question of themselves....and probably even louder to the USPS. The Service always carps about deficits and then requests rate increases; yet money magically appears for big-time sponsorship of pro bicycling.

Don't know whether or not there's a connection, but I did hear in Friday's TV coverage that the USPS is pulling out of Le Tour after this year. ;)

14. Dazed_and_Confused

So true! :rolleyes: Been waiting for Detusch Post to begin sponsoring a team...:D :D

15. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Not on the moon, but this Armstrong did it today again in France.

16. Dazed_and_Confused

And it wasn't even close. Wow.

17. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

it was sad to see the French rider, Voeckler, lose his white jersey.
    the white jersey

18. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

If he takes care of his body we will hear more from him the years to come.

19. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

you are probably right :D

20. Dazed_and_Confused

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I heard an interesting comment on NPR today regarding the top bicycle riders.

They have the genetic ability to pump huge amounts of blood through their heart each minute. They stated "up to seven gallons a minute".

Anyone else heard of this?

22. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Miguel Indurain reigned so completely over the Tour that he won five in a row...
    Indurain possessed an extraordinary lung capacity, a resting heart rate—28 beats per minute—that would qualify most humans as dead
    Tour de France Living Legends

23. ssgtmax

Dead....or not human. :ninja:

24. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

25. ssgtmax

A phenomenal athletic/psychological/medical achievement. It will take the rear view mirror of history to analyze it properly and put it into proper context. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.