Now, let's talk some SOCCER!

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by slammer_JvA, May 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

2. big ed

big ed Registered Member

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

being abit more serious, the first match didn't matter much (Carling Cup) and they didn't put out a strong team, the match was a draw, then they lost on penalties. the European match was the only game they didn't play well in. the match against Man U, Chelsea were the better team and were unlucky to lose their first game in the league for over a year.

4. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Ah yes.....spoken like a true Fan!! How could Chelsea not put out a strong team? The guys they have on the bench are all gifted players.

I watched a tape of the Real Betis match and was mystified by Chelsea's performance.

When I was a coach and my team lost I could always think of at least 10 reasons why we should have won!

Play on, big ed

Ps...I've never bet on a match ..... ever! ...especially on a sure thing!

PPs...Jose's pal Arsene says hi!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2005
  5. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

they put out a weakened team. it just goes to show how strong the Premiership is and how good Chelsea's first team is, that they put out a slightly weaker team then lost.
    they did play badly against Real Betis, i think it's just one of those things - everything went wrong for them that day. well, that's it it's over now, Chelsea have had their bad spell this season, and they will now get back to their winning ways, thank God :D :D

later today England play Argentina. maybe Rooney will show why he could become the best international player in the world? although England aren't normally very good in friendlies. :doubt:

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

7. slammer_JvA

slammer_JvA Registered Member

Below sea-level. Safe and sound behind our dikes:
    Since when is this encounter considered a friendly? ? ? ! :doubt: ;)

8. big ed

big ed Registered Member

No argument about Rooney's talent. Unfortunately he reminds me a lot of another talented player.....Gazza! Time will tell!!

Play on, big ed

Ps...Like slammer says...Eng. vs Arg. friendly! No such thing!!

9. slammer_JvA

But victory in stoppage time is a sweet thing :)

[MOVE]RULE BRITANNIA [/MOVE]
    BRITANNIA RULES THE WAVES:​

Argentina vs England 2-3

[MOVE] Nicely done, chaps :D [/MOVE]

Now playing:
    The Netherlands vs Italy 1-2 (HalfTime):doubt:

Later (a.o.):
    France vs Germany

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  10. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Well Folks,

We might as well have some fun bantering back and forth because it really doesn't amount to a hill of beans (you know what kind of beans). Last WC all the favorites went home quite early with Korea and Turkey (two of the most entertaining teams) making it to the semis. Brasil barely qualified!

I love it!!

Play on, big ed

11. slammer_JvA

Worldcup qualifying play-offs:

Finals in reach for Spain, Swiss and Czechs. (link)

Results friendlies:

Netherlands vs Italy 1-3

*First defeat in 17 games (16 months) for the Dutch and Marco van Basten as their head-coach.
    Seriously, it couldn't have come at a better time. Better to lose a friendly, then arriving at the worldcup unbeaten, with a false sense of invincibility, and the heavy load of high expectations on your back. Better to operate from the modest, but dangerous, outsider-position.

This blow was exactly what the young squad needed to come back on their feet, back to earth. This is not meant cynically; I for one am very glad with this opportunity to learn. Back to reality. Last night both teams played an attractive game, even the Italians went on the attack (!).
    Result is somewhat flattering, because both teams deserved to win. Match was decided in the moments where "The Men are separated from the Boys...";)
    So, that's why Van Basten was pleased as well: The Dutch now know where work is to be done, with half a year to learn, grow and build.
    This really could result in something promising...:)

By the way: last victory of l'Orange over the Italians: 27 (Twenty-seven!) years ago... as Johan Cruijff in all his magical wisdom ;) once stated:
    Italians: They cannot beat us, but we can easily lose against them...

France vs Germany 0-0

United Arabic Emirates vs Brasil 0-8

Scotland vs USA 1-1

Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  12. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i did write alot more about how national rivalies are based on wars, but i editted it out :D our most recent war (without the US or any other allies) was against Argentina. i am happy we won, that's all i'm saying.

i like the Dutch, so i'm now happy they lost :D

13. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

England 3 -----Argentina 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sweet victory

14. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Sure is....good thing they don't have to play N. Ireland again!!

Play on, big ed

15. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Not all rivalries!! Take the Us vs Mexico for example or for that matter any other country in the Western Hemisphere!! Even when the US has a home game the opponents fans outnumber the homers by at least 4 to 1.

Geez!! I wonder why?? (not)

Play on, big ed

Ps...I like Oranje too....I didn't recognise too many of the player's names in that match!

16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

OK English football rivalries - Argentina, France, Germany, Scotland, Wales. if they liked Football in the US the rivalry with Mexico would be similar wouldn't it? it's just that they don't follow football much in the US, not that the war thing doesn't addup.
    what about Holland - Germany, France - Germany etc? or am i not understanding you? it's not important, that's why i editted it out of my first post, i wish i'd kept quite now :blink: :D

17. big ed

big ed Registered Member

No problem! I guess it's a little difficult to sort it out in less than 10k words. Usually Mexico is the much better team. In WC 02 they were very impressive in advancing to the 2nd round while the US, through some miracle, advanced also. When they met it was US 2 - Mex 0 as Mexico self destructed. Why? Who knows!

Some of the toughest matches I ever reffed were between teams that had 100+ yrs of competitive history behind them. Emotion plays a large part in any contest.

But you are right....we can leave it to the 'Shrinks' to figure it out!

Play on, big ed

18. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i never really thought about it before, but you were a ref? there's some really funny chants about refs like "who's the (chap) in the black?" i don't know why but i think it's hysterical :D

did you ever see that footage of the ref who had a really artistic style? that's funny too. LOL i found it here:
    http://www.funny-city.com/videos/gay_referee.shtml

19. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Watched the Ref video you cited....LOL!!

Yeah...I reffed for about 15 yrs up to the level of minor collegiate play. I serverd as both Ref and Assist Ref. Any Official I know will tell you that being the man in the middle is easier than doing the lines. All three of my children reffed at one time or another and I had the distinct pleasure of working games w/all of them! It was very helpful that we could discuss game situations w/each other. I learned a lot and I'm sure they did also.

Being known as someone who was quite strict against foul lanquage (within reason) I was embarrassed during a match between two Jr. Varsity High School teams in rainy weather. I was backpedaling as fast as I was able when I fell on my butt into a puddle of water. I uttered the word SH*T! The home team coach (who played on my Adult Men's Soccer Team) was laughing as he ran to me yelling......I heard that!!....I heard that!! That happened about 15 yrs ago and whenever I run into that coach he gets this big grin on his face and begins the conversation with.......Hey, remember that game......

I loved every minute of it! (especially the boos!)

Play on, big ed

20. slammer_JvA

[MOVE]
    :D G'DAY SOCCEROOS! :D
    [/MOVE]

Welcome

AUSTRALIA

to worldcup 2006.

It has been a long time (1974), and I'm glad you returned.

Your presence really makes this a true WORLDcup, with contestants from all continents.
    "Saint Gus" (Guus Hiddink) did it again...amazing.
    Indeed: what a barby celebration this will be DownUnder: Cheers possums!;)

[MOVE]
    :D CONGRATULATIONS for qualifying!:D
    [/MOVE]

Links:
    FIFAworldcup
    Herald Sun (biggest OZ newspaper)
    BBC sport

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  21. big ed

big ed Registered Member

Yeah...it's always nice to see some new faces in the mix. Maybe if they can score a few Wickets we'll see them into the 2nd round. Meanwhile I'll use the other thread to hammer a few blokes.

Play on, big ed

22. slammer_JvA

Latest:

a 4th* Dutch headcoach, Leo Beenhakker, managed qualifying to Germany with TRINIDAD & TOBAGO.**

Today they won 0-1 against BAHREIN (1-2 on aggregate).

Very nice day for the old fox (former coach of Ajax Amsterdam and Real Madrid a.o.) and his team :)

What a colorful worldcup we'll be seeing next summer!​

[MOVE]Thumbs up![/MOVE]

* The Fab Four ;) are: Marco van Basten (Netherlands), Guus Hiddink (Australia), Leo Beenhakker (Trinidad & Tobago) and Dick Advocaat (South Korea). Hmm... that multiplies cloggie chances to 4/32 :D ;)

**To give you an impression where to find this dwarf (no offense:) ) in the(soccer-)world:

Attached Files:

23. slammer_JvA

Appreciate that. :D

Attached Files:

24. slammer_JvA

Congrats TRINIDAD & TOBAGO as the 29th team reaching Worldcup 2006!

The completion of the 32 nations competing next summer (Qualified nations in bold):

Czech Republic vs Norway 1-0 (2-0 on aggr.))

Turkey vs Switzerland 4-2 (4-4 on aggr. Swiss through by away goals scored)

Spain vs Slovakia 1-1 (6-2 on aggr.)

All 32 nations qualified for worldcup look overhere.

Draw for the tournament will be held at Leipzig (Ger) on 9 December 2006!

Enjoy the game! :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  25. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Congatulations and good luck to the Aussies. :D

The people of Trinidad and Tobago are also very happy today as their team qualified for the World Cup for the first time with a 1-0 victory over Bahrain(2-1 aggregate). :cool:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=1319589

Trinidad will be the least populated country at next year's World Cup in Germany. The Caribbean country has a population of about 1.3 million.

snowbound

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.