Now I cannot explore an Image !!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by CarlWalters, Oct 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarlWalters

CarlWalters Registered Member

Acronis Support Can you confirm that you have been able to download the setupapi.log file fromthe link in the previous post?

My e-mails to you are being bounced back :(

This Message was undeliverable due to the following reason:
    Your message was not delivered because the destination computer was not reachable within the allowed queue period. The amount of time a message is queued before it is returned depends on local configura- tion parameters.

Most likely there is a network problem that prevented delivery, but it is also possible that the computer is turned off, or does not have a mail system running right now.

Your message was not delivered within 4 days. Host acronis.com is not responding. The following recipients did not receive this message: <support@acronis.com> Please reply to Postmaster@ntlworld.com if you feel this message to be in error. Reporting-MTA: dns; mta8-win.server.ntlworld.com Arrival-Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 00:36:57 +0100 Received-From-MTA: dns; [81.98.115.210] Final-Recipient: RFC822; <support@acronis.com> Action: failed Status: 5.2.0 Remote-MTA: dns; acronis.com Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 451 Temporary failure, please try again later.

2. CarlWalters

Acronis Support have you managed to download the setupapi.log file yet? Do you have a solution for me?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Carl,

Thank you for all your efforts.

Yes, we have got setupapi.log file from you. I have contacted our Development Team and will email you as soon as they have a solution.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

4. CarlWalters

OK Thanks - I look forward to a quick solution :)

5. CarlWalters

Acronis Support

Just to remind you that I am still waiting for a Solution. It's now getting on for nearly a month and I still don't have a working TI8 product :(

6. CarlWalters

Acronis Support

I'm still waiting for a resolution.

Can you fix my problem?

If not then I expect a full refund.

7. CarlWalters

Acronis Support

I am STILL Waiting!

8. Acronis Support

Hello Carl,

I'm really sorry for so long delay. I will alert our team and you will receive the answer to your problem as soon as possible. I have posted a note on my desktop and now every time I see my desktop I will remember about your problem and do all that I can in order to help you.

Thank you.

9. Joe Mellem

Joe Mellem Guest

Carl:

I have had the same issue that you are having. I read through all of the forum posts and it appeared to especially affect notebook computers. I got the same run-around from Acronis support too.

One thing different though is that I was able to explore images after I first installed TI on a clean XP Pro installation. Then, sometime afterwards, having installed Windows Updates and various other programs the problem reared its ugly head.

After giving up on Acronis support I did a bare-metal install of XP again and reinstalled TI (7.0). It again worked fine. I check it regularly after installing anything and after visiting the XP update site. It has been running fine now for about 4 or 5 months.

All the best,

Joe Mellem

10. CarlWalters

I'm so glad you've now put a Post-It note on your desktop :rolleyes: I'm sure that now this is in place my solution cannot be too many months away.

But seriously - I now have very little confidence that Acronis are either willing or able to solve my problem. It has been six weeks now. I still have no PC backup strategy in place. I am in danger of losing PC data becasue of Acronis and their lack of support. All I have heard from you is send this file, send that file etc.

Please answer
    • What are you doing to solve the problem?
    • Who is working on solving the problem?
    • Will it be solved in the next two days?
    • If not will you then give me a full refund so that I can buy a product that works?

11. John Farrar

John Farrar Registered Member

Funny this corrupt email thing. I sent 2 report files to Andrew and they were both corrupted. Never had anyone else report problems like that. o_O
    Good luck with your problem. I have reached a dead end with OS Selector. It will not detect one OS because I failed to install the 2nd OS the way OS Selector would like, which was BEFORE I bought OS Selector. :mad:
    John

12. CarlWalters

just for everyone's amusement :'( here is my latest conversation wih Acronis Support. It just gets worse and worse!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Very bad news.

I did the following

1. downloaded http://www.acronis.com/files/support/SetupApiLog.zip
    2. unzipped it
    3. ran it to add to the windows registry
    4. deleted \Windows\setupapi.log file
    5. re-booted my PC
    6. logged on
    7. My PC crashes and reboots itself
    8. I log on again
    9. My PC crashes and reboots itself
    10. I log on again
    11. My PC crashes and reboots itself
    12. I log on again
    etc etc

So now

a. I can't explore and TI8 backup image
    b. My PC continually re-boots

What on earth do I do nowo_O??!!!!o_O??

Carl

OK - I'll try and do this this evening (GMT I don't know
    which time zone
    you are on?)

Carl

Hello Carl,

Ok, do not uninstall your ZoneAlarm Firewall and Antivirus.

Let us to sum up what information we need from you now:

1) A new "setupapi.log" file.
    -Download the file below, unpack it and run in order to
    add the information to the Windows registry:
    http://www.acronis.com/files/support/SetupApiLog.zip

- Delete the \Windows\setupapi.log file and reboot the computer;
    - _Reproduce the mounting error_ and send us the
    setupapi.log file.

2) Could you please run "regedit" command (Start -> Run),
    export the registry key below and send it to us?
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\AcroVBus

3) Please go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools ->
    Event Viewer -> System branch;
    - Choose the Save Log File As in the Action menu and save
    it in the *.evt format;
    - Send us the saved file.

4) Please download and try to mount the following test
    archive file:
    http://www.acronis.com/files/support/ticket/154301/Test.tib

Please send us these files and let us know the result of
    mounting of the test file.

Thank you.

Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

You are correct the "vet-filt.sys", "vet-rec.sys",
    "vetfddnt.sys",vetmonnt.sys" files are indeed antivirus drivers.

I run ZoneAlarm Firewall + Antivirus. ZoneAlarm AntiVirus uses the VET
    Antivirus engine.

Are you really saying that you want me to uininstall my Firewall and
    AntiVirus protectiono_O? This leaves my PC vulnerable to attack (as I am
    connected via Cable Broadband)

Hello Carl,

Please see the attached picture of your System information file. Our developer thinks that the "vet-filt.sys", "vet-rec.sys", "vetfddnt.sys", "vetmonnt.sys" files are antivirus drivers.

It also seems that you haven't reproduce the problem when the "setupapi.log" file was created. Could you please reproduce the problem and send us the "setupapi.log" again? Please also send us the imported registry key and System log file.

Thank you.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

What is an AntiVirus VET?

Carl Walters

Hello Carl,

The only thing I can do is to apologize for such a long delay.

As we understood you can successfully create and verify your images. The only problem is that you cannot mount an image as a logical drive. We have received three files from you (Acronis report, System Information and setupapi.log). Our Developer who is responsible for the mounter module and he need additional information.

1) Could you please try to uninstall your antivirus VET and then try to mount an image again?

2) Could you please run "regedit" command (Start -> Run), export the registry key below and send them to us?
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Enum\AcroVBus

3)- Please go to Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Event Viewer -> System branch;
    - Choose the Save Log File As in the Action menu and save it in the *.evt format;
    - Send us the saved file.

Thank you very much.

--
    Best regards,
    Andrew Berezovsky

Acronis Support,

I am STILL waiting for a fix to this problem details here
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=51504&page=1&pp=25

It's been over a month now and the product you sold me still
    does not work. If you are unable to supply me with a fix for
    this problem in the next 24 hours then I shall be demanding a full
    refund.

This amount of delay is quite simply unprofessional and acceptable.

Carl Walters

13. allgo

allgo Registered Member

I think it is rather fundamental to be able to "explore an image".

I first bought True Image 6 and was delighted to have created an image - delighted, that is, until I needed to restore my hard disk after a crash. One of the CD's was unreadable, so TI proved to be a complete waste of time.

I have just bought Version 8 and, after making an image, thought it would be useful to "verify the image archive". First, I booted with the six disks (it used to be five). I chose "Yes, I want to verify the image archive" Then I was told to "select a partition or a whole hard disk to restore".
    After that, I was told to "Please select a target partition or unallocated space to restore the partitioned image".

I do *not* want to restore the partitioned image - just to *explore* the image, verify that the thing actually works (unlike my experience with V.6).

Does anyone at Acronis actually use the six disks, and follow the most unclear/unhelpful instructions which I have quoted above?

allgo

14. Acronis Support

Hello allgo,

Thank you for using Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/products/trueimage/).

Please note that you can explore the image only under Windows. "To explore" means to mount it as a logical drive. You should use the "Explore Image" wizard.

Please also note that you should use Tools -> Check Image utility in order to verify the image. You shouldn't use the "Restore Image" wizard if you don't want to restore the image.

Thank you.

15. foolproof

foolproof Guest

Hi Carl

I just posted the message below to a different site and was continuing my search for an answer, when I came upon this thread. Wow!

"Is there anyway to extract files from a partition that has been backed up to CDs? When, after verifying the success of the backup, I tried it and got an error message, 'Cannot assign a drive letter to a partition from the image archive.'"

We seem to have the same problem, except I know I don't have your patience. One difference is that, since I'm using removable media, I may never have been able to explore an image emcompassing several disks. Because of this difference, I'm still going to post an inquiry.

While I used the term "extract," what I was actually doing was trying to explore. The backup was done and the verification complete, and what I was trying to do was see what was there. My worst fear is that of being told the backup and verification are fine only to find a problem when you really need to do a restore. Good luck to both of us.

16. foolproof

foolproof Guest

CarlWalters

I seem to have found an answer for me, and perhaps some interesting reading for you that shows that you are not alone. First, for me: the answer is it can't me done, at least not directly from an image spanning several CDs. All of the individual parts of the image (the files on the various CDs) must all be put in one directory someplace before a virtual drive can be mounted and an image explored.

This information came as a result of a post to another forum, which led to a reference back to this forum. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=43261 There you will find the story of a guy who sort of beat the same problem you're facing, but on an earlier version. It should provide some interesting reading for the gaps between those responses from Acronis Support.

As for me, I did all that and explored my image. It is not something that I will do often, especially since it requires that the individual CD files making up the image be assembled in one directory. But it was good to go into the virtual drive image and to see and touch the individual files that had been backed up. Now I know that the backup doesn't simply contain gigabytes of digital junk waiting to present itself should I need to do a restore.

17. imagefurf

imagefurf Registered Member

Carl et al:

How come the uninstall program doesn't clean the registry? Isn't that part of what a Windows Uninstall program does?

Hey Andrew at Acronis: does the uninstall program clean the registry or does it have to be done manually?

I note that one of your problems was getting a drive letter assigned. I've been trying to get Acronis to take note of the fact that if loaded from within Windows Acronis correctly sees my external HDD on the USB bus, but if loaded from the CD which Acronis burned during installation, it assigns the HDD the letter B: and asks for the insertion of the first disk. If the request is ignored and the Enter key pressed, it writes to the B: drive anyway. I haven't yet tested as to whether it would restore from the so-called B: drive. For that matter I haven't tested a restore yet from within Windows.

But at a minimum, Acronis loaded from its own disc, doesn't get the drive assignments correct. /ifurf

18. Acronis Support

19. Acronis Support

Hello imagefurf,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Acronis True Image uninstaller should delete all the entries that are used only by Acronis True Image. It shouldn't delete the files and registry entries that can be used by other Acronis products.

Thank you.

20. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Andrew

I agree that the TI uninstaller should delete all the files and registry entries used by True Image. However, having monitored a TI install using a utility such as "Total Uninstall" and then checked the results of a subsequent TI uninstall, I can assure you this isn't necessarily the case. What makes it worse is that some of the "residue" appears to prevent TI carrying out a proper full reinstall. Hence the many posts on this forum recommending a registry purge in between a TI uninstall/reinstall.

Any progress on the manual uninstall procedure that you said you would post?

Kind regards

21. Acronis Support

Hello Menorcaman,

I will definitely post the manual uninstallation procedure in the next two days.

Thank you.

22. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Excellent news. Thank you Andrew.

Regards
    Tom

23. heckennen

heckennen Guest

I think beenthereb4 is right.
    I#m pretty sure you MUST omit the number 1 at the end, because if TI finds a file with 1 at the end it assumes that there has to be a file without any number at the end as the "full backup file".
    An Example:
    You name your full backup file "c2-wi-de-pcm.mzcd.tib"
    All incremental backups will be named
    "c2-wi-de-pcm.mzcd1.tib"
    "c2-wi-de-pcm.mzcd2.tib"
    "c2-wi-de-pcm.mzcd3.tib"
    and so on
    If you in case of a restore click on one of the incremental backup files ZI "goes back" the chain to the first file (without any number at the end).
    But in case of your kind of naming it never will find it.
    If I'm right just rename all backup files you have (1 to nothing, 2 to 1 and so on) and your restore should work immediately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.