NoVirusThanks OSArmor: An Additional Layer of Defense

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by novirusthanks, Dec 17, 2017.

1. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

thank you for the update

2. lucd

lucd Registered Member

so spyshelter warned me that OS Armor is trying to modify and access sihost,

any idea why it might be?

3. Murray

Murray Registered Member

A question. Anybody know what is going on? OS Armor has been suddenly blocking this since August 25. Seems it is related to the Opera browser. Is it a false positive, or is there something that I can do to stop it from happening?

Date/Time: 9/9/2020 4:43:43 PM
    Process: [6756]C:\Users\MICHAE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\.opera\06697A894CDC\CUsersMichael XXXXXXAppDataLocalProgramsOperaassistant\ready\assistant_installer.exe
    Process MD5 Hash: D41D8CD98F00B204E9800998ECF8427E
    Parent: [5428]C:\Users\Michael XXXXXXX\AppData\Local\Programs\Opera\launcher.exe
    Rule: BlockProcessesOnSuspiciousFolders
    Rule Name: Block processes located in suspicious folders
    Command Line: "C:\Users\MICHAE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\.opera\06697A894CDC\CUsersMichael XXXXXXXAppDataLocalProgramsOperaassistant\installing\assistant_installer.exe" --install --autoupdate --installfolder="C:\Users\Michael XXXXXXX\AppData\Local\Programs\Opera\assistant" --silent --launchopera=0
    Signer:
    Parent Signer: Opera Software AS
    User/Domain: Michael XXXXXXX/MichaelXXXXXXXX
    System File: False
    Parent System File: False
    Integrity Level: Medium
    Parent Integrity Level: Medium

Date/Time: 9/9/2020 9:42:42 AM
    Process: [2896]C:\Users\MICHAE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\.opera\06697A894CDC\CUsersMichael XXXXXXXAppDataLocalProgramsOperaassistant\ready\assistant_installer.exe
    Process MD5 Hash: D41D8CD98F00B204E9800998ECF8427E
    Parent: [4544]C:\Users\Michael XXXXXXX\AppData\Local\Programs\Opera\launcher.exe
    Rule: BlockProcessesOnSuspiciousFolders
    Rule Name: Block processes located in suspicious folders
    Command Line: "C:\Users\MICHAE~1\AppData\Local\Temp\.opera\06697A894CDC\CUsersMichael XXXXXAppDataLocalProgramsOperaassistant\installing\assistant_installer.exe" --install --autoupdate --installfolder="C:\Users\Michael XXXXXXX\AppData\Local\Programs\Opera\assistant" --silent --launchopera=0
    Signer:
    Parent Signer: Opera Software AS
    User/Domain: Michael XXXXX/MichaelXXXXXXX
    System File: False
    Parent System File: False
    Integrity Level: Medium
    Parent Integrity Level: Medium

4. ichito

ichito Registered Member

5. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Tick-tock. I hope the new version gets here soon.

6. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

I hope so, too. I'm still waiting for the release of OSA and SH.

7. plat

plat Registered Member

Not to be a nudnik, well actually, yes, I am, but I ran out of juice,

Could we have another update, please, of the status of OSArmor? A succession of teases is what we've gotten so far. Come on, NoVirusThanks. :thumb:

8. bellgamin

Yes, I'm getting impatient, too. I have used NVT security apps, both the stable versions and the betas, for a long time. I have never ever had one of them crash. I can see that Andreas is very VERY careful about the stability of everything he releases, even betas. That's good to know -- an unstable security app can really screw up major parts of one's computer.

9. novirusthanks

novirusthanks Developer

@Murray

They are FPs, will be fixed in next version.

Too bad that Opera assistant_installer.exe is not digitally signed.

//Everyone

We've been testing OSA new version on the past days and all is working fine.

We're finishing the new website for OSA, here is a small screenshot:

osa-website.png

It will be moved to its own website so we can dedicate more space and information to it.

The new website is completed at 95% (just remained a few text and video tutorials to add).

So just keep waiting for a very little longer =)

*Sorry guys, just want to make sure all is ready and fine*

10. B-boy/StyLe/

B-boy/StyLe/ Registered Member

11. novirusthanks

novirusthanks Developer

Will be fixed them too in the new version, thanks for reporting.

12. lucd

lucd Registered Member

exactly, powershell empire is a post-exploitation tool, it is not used to penetrate per se: it first needs to be one-foot in the host with its stager, the victim is already owned at that point. The stager downloads necessary scripts and penetrate deeper to automate control over victim (which is what was created for, to automate proxy configuration, password dumps, keylogging and so on), that's why the campain using powershell empire was an email-delivery one

@novirusthanks
    I am not sure making it yearly subscription is a good idea for everybody, I am sure you'll get subscriptions from wilders malwaretips fans (apart from them an average Joe has no idea about lolbins) and so on but there are a lot of great options right now (hitman pro alert, black fog), I am sceptical, it would be better if you did like roguekiller did with different plans and lifetime subscription at the same time (for more money). You have excubits products that do similar stuff to OSA, for me to at least consider buying it would need to alleviate alot of false positives with jupyter notebook (app running from suspicious folder), adguard, legitimate Windows commands and bahaviors (sc commands and so on...), or you don't expect the average Joe to create 100 rules to make his favourite programmes work. Maybe the issue is in the design, for me its much simpler to make rules with spy shelter than with OSA. Why not automate some of that stuff, automatic wildcards and settings for program profile. It is important since Windows is changing. Sorry I want to be honest and its just my opinion, I am sure your decisions are based on facts and good reasons and wish you the best

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  13. lucd

lucd Registered Member

also according co cybereason:
    "Writing in Go can be an advantage for malware authors,
    as it can be compiled on a system using only one repository but still be executable across other operating systems."
    Golang (Go) started to be deployed in 2016 by malware authors and is rising in popularity along with python but not as much as python

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
  14. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

This is what you told us in June. We are in the middle of October now. What exactly does "soon" mean? This month? This year? In 2021? Later? Never?

15. bellgamin

I estimate OSA's new version will be completed when it's completed. I do hope that Andreas is staying well -- both physically & economically -- amidst the world's on-going tumult. Italy has been hard hit, as have we all.

16. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

I see. When something goes wrong or not according to plan, you can always blame it on the Coronavirus. Seems to be quite fashionable these days. Don't get me wrong. I do feel sorry for the Italians because they have been particularly hard hit by the pandemic, but this virus is not an excuse for everything.

17. novirusthanks

novirusthanks Developer

Finally, OSArmor v1.5 and its new website have been released:
    https://www.osarmor.com/

Here is a coupon code with 20% discount (valid for 50 orders): WILDERS20

osa.png

This is the final changelog:

It took some more weeks than expected, but we are very happy with the results.

You can download and test OSArmor for 30-days without limitations in functionalities.

On the new website we tried to include as many information as possible (more will be added soon).

So guys, sorry for the very long delay, I hope you will like the new version!

As always feedbacks, critics, and comments are welcome =)

We do not officially support Windows XP anymore, however the product works fine on Windows XP SP3 and we have decided to make the product free for all XP users.

It would be preferred to first uninstall OSA 1.4.3 and then install OSA v1.5

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  18. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

I will definitely give it a try. Thanks, Andreas. What about SysHardener? Will this app be updated as well? Is SH still needed if you use OSA?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  19. Dragon1952

Dragon1952 Registered Member

Can this install over the top or uninstall first.

20. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

I have just installed OSA v1.5.0. When I click "Help" and "License Status" nothing happens, no status is shown. Hm...

PS: I have found the culprit. The license status was blocked by my anti-malware app. Sorry for the confusion.

21. novirusthanks

novirusthanks Developer

@Buddel

Yes we plan on updating SysHardener (along with mostly all our apps).

Personally I use both: SH mainly to unassociate file extensions (vbs, js, etc), to apply the outbount firewall rules, and to apply other restrictions in the system. Then OSA for real-time protection and to block specific/custom processes behaviors.

What is your OS?

Give it a few seconds to run, it should display a new window:

osa-license.png

Make sure NVTLicenseManager was installed correctly, is located here:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\NoVirusThanks\NVT License Manager\NVTLicenseManager.exe

Then "Help->License Status" will open the Activator GUI:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\NoVirusThanks\NVT License Manager\NVTActivator.exe

* Both processes are digitally signed by NoVirusThanks Company Srl
    * It requires VC++ Redistributable 2015 that are installed with the setup (if not already present).

@Dragon1952

It would be preferred to first uninstall OSA 1.4.3 and then install OSA v1.5

22. Buddel

Buddel Registered Member

As mentioned in my previous post, license status now works as expected. It was blocked by my anti-malware app. Thanks for your help, Andreas.:thumb:

23. novirusthanks

novirusthanks Developer

Great! Thanks for confirming :)

24. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Whoa! Well alright. All ready for showtime! :D

889.jpg

25. plat

plat Registered Member

Great, thanks. It accepted an old RULES list from several years ago just fine. I see lots of new block rules in the Advanced Section. OK, will see how it goes. Thanks for the coupon also.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.