notsure

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by slag, Jun 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slag

slag Registered Member

i.am not sure this belongs in this thread but here go,s
    i visited a site today and went into their forum site and lo,behold there in someones post was my isp number what browser iwas using plus what programe i was running & my internet provider
    what i would like to know is how they got hold of this info is this easy to do
    this particuler person is having a brawl with someone else on the forum and has published my details as the other persons
    what i would realy like to know is there something that can be done as this person is threating to infect his computer :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

First, the Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy: Don't panic!

Whenever you visit a website, your browser sends information that identifies it, so the server can serve content properly. This information includes your IP, operating system version, browser version etc.

This is normal and required for the proper functioning of the web.

Now, how was this data published? Did it show up in his signature in a little box that says "Your ISP .... You're running X ....", probably with danasoft.com somewhere.

Or was it in plain text in a post?

If option 1 is true, then there's nothing to worry about. You're the only one seeing this info.

It is possible to disguise this info by changing the info your browser sends, called the user agent, as well as where you hail from, called referrer, and if you use a proxy, then you can also obfuscate your real IP and the ISP.

But this is something for a second post.

If option 2 is true, then that person probably has access to server logs or alike.

Now, regarding the threat ...

If your operating system is up to date, you use a firewall, then you have little to worry about possible hacking. What the attacker may do is try to entice you to visit a malicious webpage and try to exploit a vulnerability in your browser, or invite you to an IM session and try to send you a file etc. Either way, there might be a social engineering issue at work.

As long as you keep your software up to date and use caution when visiting webpages, clicking on links and opening files, you should be fine.

Plus, I'd suggest you avoid forums like those, because they sound sub-class.

Mrk

3. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I've seen that little box in signatures before... as mrk said, nothing to be worried about.

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

As both of those gentlemen said, nothing to worry if it was similar to what you would find here [​IMG]

Here's also an older Phant0m Sig thread with very good discussion and explanations.

5. slag

slag Registered Member

thank.s to all that reply to my post
    the info is much welcomed being a novice i am not intune with these things
    so once agian thanks to all that replyed
    slag

6. slag

slag Registered Member

MRKVONIC
    it is opion1
    thank you for replying so prompt
    i feel a little better now
    once again thanks for the info
    slag

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.