NotScripts for Google Chrome - "NoScript" Like Blocking

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Doritoes, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

do I have to put in a new password at every update? I disabled and re-enabled. Upon re-enable I was prompted that I did not have a password set, although I set one before disabling. Then I went to the folder and saw a new update and the place for the password was blank. In the future will updates automatically incorporate the password? Or was my password issue unique because I had notscripts disabled during an update?

thanks

2. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

The password file gets rewritten upon each update so you need to re-enter your password. I use lastpass - had it create a 20 character password for me and store this password in a lastpass "secure note". Then i just copy/paste it after the update.

If you enter a new password, you need to clear the chrome cookie cache.

3. Doritoes

Doritoes Registered Member

Just at a quick glance at the code of AniWeather, you need to add (if they are not already there)

amazonaws.com
    aniweather.com

to your whitelist and then it works (do it from the NotScripts Options page -> Whitelist). I'm actually surprised that NotScripts is running inside the iframe of another Google Chrome extension!!! I didn't know that was actually allowed at all. Since that pop up from AniWeather has no URL bar, you would never see the NotScripts icon to be able to whitelist anything. I will have to post this in a NotScripts FAQ and think about if there is anything that can be done about it to let you know NotScripts is running.

4. Doritoes

Yes, that is correct. It a limitation of Google Chrome that you have to copy back your password file after NotScripts updates. I will try to keep updates bunched together to minimize the convenience. If only there was a way that I could generate a unique password using javascript in a Google Chrome extension content script that a web site would not also be able to do. Alas, I don't think there is a way around this for now.

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

is there a way to make a shortcut to the file to enter the password? that would help some in the inconvenience...maybe I just need to put a shortcut on my desktop?

BTW- I noticed after enterring the new password in the update folder everything is fine- no clearing cookie cache needed. Do I need to clear the cache anyway? The new password I am using is the same as the old one...so did you mean I need to clear the cookie cache only if a new/different password is used?

6. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I had tried that already before i posted that issue and just double-checked to make sure. Even with "Globally allow scripts temporarily", it still doesn't work until i disable the notscripts extension.

I'm using iron chrome by the way.

7. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

That might work but it's in a hidden folder so what i do on vista32 is on the desktop click "start" and in the "run box", type %localappdata% and hit enter. This will open the hidden folder where chrome is.

Same password = Fine

New password = clear chrome cookie cache

8. Doritoes

With those two sites whitelisted, go visit http://www.aniweather.com/aniweather.config6.html#settings to refresh the local storage cache for AniWeather.
    I have SRWare Iron in a virtual machine right now and I installed AniWeather and the pop up shows the weather every time.

I think your problem is that Google Chrome does not allow NotScripts to run in the top level window of that pop up since it is a chrome:// which is not allowed as expected. The unexpected part is that NotScripts actually gets called by Google Chrome to run in the iframe inside that pop up of AniWeather, which is unexpected. I'm testing a fix that blocks NotScripts from running in the iframes of other extensions.

9. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Tried that but still no change. Anyways, no biggie. Just wanted to make you aware of it.

Thanks

10. Doritoes

One more thing you could try: Put the line

const DO_NOT_BLOCK_IFRAMES = true;

into your CHANGE__PASSWORD__HERE.js file.

Along with the

amazonaws.com
    aniweather.com

in your whitelist, that should solve your problems.

11. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Notscripts has been updated and is available on the extension site. Visit the author's site for more info.

12. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

This is now fixed. Good job ;)

13. Doritoes

Hopefully you weren't too annoyed with the rapid bug fix updates for NotScripts after V0.9.2. NotScripts is now at V0.9.5 because of the updates for Linux compatibility and to fix a url parsing bug. I think it is stable now and there shouldn't be any more updates in the near future. I've added more unit testing for the url parser and I'm also testing with Google Chrome on Ubuntu 10.04 along with Google Chrome on Windows Xp and Windows 7.

14. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Hello!

Great addon but an "Allow bookmarks" feature would be great, like in the Firefox version.

15. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

Working very well in Iron. Thankyou

16. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Flawless so far on my Chromium 5 under Ubuntu Lucid. Many thanks for your hard work.

17. Doritoes

Do you mean that if a page is opened from a bookmark, then allow scripting on that page? Or do you mean that NotScripts should make a whitelist from the bookmarks?

18. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Yeah, i mean if you open a page from the bookmarks, then allow scripting on that page but only that page allowed, not all the scripts just the page that is bookmarked.

19. Doritoes

Unfortunately, there is no way in Google Chrome to determine if a page was reached by bookmark or by other means. I don't see any easy or straightforward/efficient way of doing it at this point.

20. Narxis

Narxis Registered Member

Bad news..:'( anyway... its still a great addon, keep up the good work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.