Notification Area Icon

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Chalawah, Oct 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chalawah

Chalawah Registered Member

Hi

I have just purged my computer of Norton AV 2004 using + / - Programs in Windows XP Home [SP2 fully updated], then completing the job using SymNRT.exe::rolleyes:

I then installed NOD32 successfully:D .

I have noticed now that on rebooting I am getting no Process Guard icon in the Notification Area .

I can go to Start>Programs>Process Guard and get the PG icon to appear in the Notification Area after fully opening the program that way.:mad:

If I use Spybot S+D Process Explorer I see pgaccount.exe listed as a running process Does this mean that PG is loading at Start Up? I think this issue has been caused by SymNRT.exe as I had no problems whatsoever before using it.

I have Googled and found that this particular support:

it states...

"How To: Fix Missing System Tray Icons at Windows XP startup....One piece of advice we've frequently seen offered to people suffering from this problem is to disable the SSDP Discovery Service and the Universal Plug and Play Device Host. To do this, open Administrative Tools in Control Panel, and then open Services. Select "SSDP Discovery Service", right-click it and select Properties. Change the startup type to "Disabled" and then click OK. Repeat this for the "Universal Plug and Play Device Host."​

then goes on to say...

"Disabling Universal Plug and Play didn't work for us, either. However, several people have found that that the problem was solved by changing the startup options for the two services to "Automatic", instead of disabling them".​

I have tried these options but the icon issue isn't solved.

I found a Microsoft KB here:

That says:

"When starting a Microsoft Windows XP-based computer, you may notice any one of the following symptoms:

• Some icons do not appear in the notification area.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this behavior, follow these steps to disable the SSDP feature:
    1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
    2. Click Services and Applications.
    3. Double-click Services.
    4. In the Services list, right-click SSDP Discovery Service, and then click Properties.
    5. On the General tab, in the Startup type drop-down list, click Disabled.
    6. Click OK.​

This didn't work either. So I am asking ...

If the PG icon isn't there is PG working? and how can I get back the Notification Area Icon?​

Hopefully one of our Wilders Community will shed some light on the issue?

Thanks

familyman

2. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

It won't be there if you login to a limited user account, this is by design..

Procguard.exe needs to be running for PG to be there, pgaccount.exe runs in every account, Procguard.exe only auto-runs for the Admin who installed PG.

So opening the ProcessGuard shortcut or finding and running procguard.exe will help you work out what is going on.

If it runs and complains a part of PG isn't running, you're in a limited user account. If it just runs and appears, you have lost the startup entry in the registry and need to recreate it (so PG runs automatically at startup)

3. Chalawah

That's the one that is applicable in this case... newbie question... how do I recreate a startup entry in the registry? I have done some registry work before so I know my way around a little, but more to do with checking entries rather than recreating/creating anything.

Any chance of a talk me throught it;)

Thanks for your time and energy in replying!

rgds

Julien

4. Gavin - DiamondCS

Create a new text file, put the following text in it, and save it as a .REG file. Then doubleclick to enter the information in the registry (and confirm you want to do so)

Note- If you have installed to somewhere other than C:\Program Files\ProcessGuard, you'll need to edit it first.. the \\ double slashes are normal.

Reboot, and all should be fine !

--- copy below this line ---

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "!1_ProcessGuard_Startup"="\"C:\\Program Files\\ProcessGuard\\procguard.exe\" -minimize"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "!1_pgaccount"="\"C:\\Program Files\\ProcessGuard\\pgaccount.exe\""

5. Chalawah

Hi Gavin, I copied/pasted the text to Notepad and saved it to the desktop as 'pg.reg' [without the quotes].

I had installed PG to the default...C:\Program Files\ProcessGuard

When I tried doubleclicking on the pg.reg I don't think anything happened as I didn't see any window asking me to confirm.

I then tried right clicking on pg.reg and then selecting 'merge' - hope that was ok, my mistake, I should have asked me thinks. Still no 'confirm' window.

[I didn't have any security progam pop ups to say the .reg was being blocked. I have added back a .reg before now for a reg backup reinstall].

I then tried a ReStart. Still no PG icon in Notification Window.

Julien

Last edited: Oct 28, 2005
  6. Chalawah

Hi... going to Run then regedit I then navigated to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

The second item in the list on the right is:
    'a little ticket icon with ab in it' NAME = !1_pgaccount , TYPE= REG_SZ , DATA = C:\Program Files\ProcessGuard\pgaccount.exe

Navigating to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

...and here I only see googletalk, mozilla quickstart and roboform.:eek:

Hope this info helps

Cheers

Julien

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

You can check that the PG driver is working by opening System information, system drivers and then look down the list for procguard.sys, If you highlight the line you should see that it is set to Auto and Running.

Regarding your pg.reg file try right clicking on it and select install from the drop down menu. :)

HTH Pilli

8. Chalawah

Hi Pilli, thanks for the assist

When I right click I only see 'merge' so that's why I tried it [rarther than 'install'].

I can't figure what you mean when you say:

I'd be greatful if how to complete this, as I have tried the Help files and Googled for 'system information' and 'system drivers' and I am not sure where to look.

rgds familymano_O

9. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

No prob - Start - All programs - Accessories - System tools - System information and then as posted above :)

Pilli

10. Chalawah

Hi Pilli

Waaaw !!! what a bird brain I am for not remembering that...just aswell I got some shut eye who knows what I might have done next - hahhaha.

OK now that I am back in the land of the living...and going to System Information I can see: Name = ProcGuard , File = Procguard sys , Type = Kernel Driver , Started = Yes , Start mode = Auto.

So that figures that Procguard is running at a kernal mode - that's like, deep deep into the levels of operation I think...hmmm, good. Actually, when I was rumaging around for System Info last night I did trigger a PG alert when I clicked on something that I obviously hadn't clicked on since I have installed PG some 2 months ago.

I did also spend time last night trying to work out in regedit how to add in the information Gavin gave manually...in particular:

Navigating to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

[...and here I only see googletalk, mozilla quickstart and roboform]

I was trying to work out to create/input:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "!1_ProcessGuard_Startup"="\"C:\\Program Files\\ProcessGuard\\procguard.exe\" -minimize"

- what was it now, a new 'string', or 'binary' or 'fold out, ?whatever? But as it felt like I was doing brain surgery on sleep deprevation, I thought I'd better come back to Wilders and ask...[I did do a Google for half hour or so, but couldn't find any thing that would help me ].

Any ideas why a .reg would not merge/install or how to walk me through the proceedure manually?

Julien

11. Chalawah

Ok after a larvely cup o coffee I found this Microsoft link to:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

To add a new subkey named TestSubkey to the Microsoft subkey, follow these steps:
    1. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    2. Expand SOFTWARE.
    3. Click the Microsoft subkey.
    4. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click Key.
    5. Type TestSubkey, and then press ENTER.
    Adding a value

To add a new DWORD Value named TestDWORD and to set its value data to 1 in the TestSubkey key, follow these steps:
    2. Expand SOFTWARE.
    3. Expand Microsoft.
    4. Click the TestSubkey subkey.
    5. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
    6. Type TestDWORD and then press ENTER..
    7. Right-click the TestDWORD DWORD Value, and then click Modify.
    8. Type 1, and then click OK.
    Changing a value

To change the value data for the TestDWORD DWORD Value to 0 in the TestSubkey key, follow these steps:
    2. Expand SOFTWARE.
    3. Expand Microsoft.
    4. Click the TestSubkey subkey.
    5. Right-click the TestDWORD DWORD Value, and then click Modify.
    6. Type 0, and then click OK.​

So I feel a bit closer to sorting out a reg entry manually....

But from the entry Gavin wants me to make, what are the ?parts? called...o_Ostring value, binary, DWORD, Mulitstring Value, Expandable String Valueo_O.

Any chance of a newbie breakdown of the entry I have to make?

Got to dash to the Farmers Market now...back this afternoon.

Julien

12. Mover

Mover Registered Member

I found I started having icon problems after first installing NOD32. I don't know why this happened. After uninstalling NOD32 and deleting any files/folders that remained from NOD32, I did a reinstall of NOD32. A few days later I did a disk defrag which cleared up the icon problem.

13. Chalawah

Thanks for that info Mover...I did let NOD32 New Zealand support now about my icon issue, asking if they new of any similar issues after installing NOD32 - and they said no. That's why I thought it must have been due to the work involved in removing Norton AV 2004.

I haven't done a manual defrag, but I am using auto defrag in O & O Defrag Software....so I am not sure if a defrag will resolve the issue for me. Also there is clearly a missing PG startup in the registery.

I will try a manual defrag now anyway.

Cheers for your time in posting.

Julien.

14. Chalawah

Hi, here is the result of me tentatively playing with the registery - I got the Notification Area icon back - whoopee :D

With Gavin's pointer I saw that the HKEY_CURRENT_USER Startup entry was missing, [couldn't get it into the registry via the suggested .reg method], so managed to jump up the learning curve and create the entry manually. I am scratching my head a bit over:

...this is because I couldn't see any other entries in the registery with this type of \\ double slash. Even the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE entry for PG that was created during the originall install doesn't have \\ double slashes.

I'd like to know the significance of \\ double slashes. What do they do that's different from single \ slashes?

Also, any ideas why my .reg file method failed?

I actually cut and paste in the Value Data["C:\\Program Files\\ProcessGuard\\procguard.exe\" -minimize"] as per Gavin's assist quoted above complete with double \\ slashes.

I am feeling well chuffed fixing this... plus NOD32 installed...PG up and running again...and no more Norton:D

Thanks all...if you have an idea/answer for the couple of questions I asked it would be great to hear from you - I really value your time and energy!

Julien

15. Gavin - DiamondCS

Double slashes are normal for a FILE ;) once entered into the registry they look normal. So manually creating the entries is as you would expect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.